hi~ and needing help to look for that cute lil film camera!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yin said:
firefox>thank you! that clears up a lot of things! if i purchase the body, does it mean i need to purchase the lenses? or do they normally come with a lens? i've read the in-depth review of the FM-10 and i must say i'm quite attracted to it. how about the later models of the same line with FM-10? or is this one the cream of the crop amongst its siblings?

It's not the cream of the crop... But it's one of the few manual SLR's made of plastic and would be light. You'll need to purchase/ borrow/ steal Nikon mount lenses to use with it.

P&S just refers to those cameras that can be used by just about any idiot user. Usually has a fixed-focus or auto-focus lens and doesn't require the user to do anything except:

1) Press power button
2) Zoom-in or zoom-out
3) Aim
4) Press shutter release button

whoelse>read all the articles except that the manual link wasn't working... it asked me for a password :( they're very inspiring! detrop has a holga i think *wide grin*

firefox>i'm in dilemma =_=; so tempted to grab that rollei... in other hand... having a nikon would be so convenient...(lenses available), and that pentax is tempting as well > 3<

Hi Yin,

Welcome to ClubSnap. I think almost all of us here started with manual only film cameras. I started iwth the Cosina CS-1 about 25 years ago, when I was still studying. It was a true manual only cam as I had to do everything manually.

But it was fun and after about tw years, I upgraded to another camera. This time a semi-auto version Chinon CP-7M. Then a freind of my mum gave me a Canon AE-1, a really heavy mental body with wondeful lenses.

Since your bf has nikkor lenses for you to play around with, why not get the Nikon FM-10. It is a true plastic body and made by Cosina, so it really is light. From here, you can experiment to see what lenses suit your shots best.

Happy photgraphing

Hi, welcome here. Nice avatar you got there, you draw that yourself?

felixcat8888>thanks for the welcome! i was just thinking that changing lenses can be a hassle... all i want is to take photographs of people randomly(that's why the temptation to get rollei prego 90), possibly keeping it close to me at almost all time(that's why the emphasis on size and weight) i'll continue searching! however, fm10 isn't really a king kong, and 420 grams without batteries probably is quite tolerable...

venom81>thanks and thanks~ yes i drew the avatar myself :) been using it for 2 or 3 years maybe? i can't exactly remember... i should be creating new avatar :embrass: shows how lazy i am i guess... XD

Yin said:
venom81>thanks and thanks~ yes i drew the avatar myself :) been using it for 2 or 3 years maybe? i can't exactly remember... i should be creating new avatar :embrass: shows how lazy i am i guess... XD

Its cute. Got 1 small tooth. :)

IMHO, if you are not into learning to do manual settings to take a picture, get a compact point and shoot.

Film - olympus MjuII , Ricoh GR1v etc
Digitial - Fujifilm F10 (have iso 800 for low light) seems promising.

venom81>hahaa probably i'd be left with 1 small tooth(or none) in the future :embrass:

kex>i'm reading the reviews! thanks for the new input! +1 to my list! it's tad pricey though ya?

tiong78>i don't really like digital camera.... ^^;;

discussed about it a little more with my boyfriend and it's now either rollei prego 90 or nikon fm-10... checking the other fms tho... but i think they're heavier... but i'm gonna just fiddle with them before i make final decision~! he kept mentioning about the "too big" factor, but i can't really say without the cameras in my hands... so... memo memo memo~

gosh i feel like i'm adopting a child or something -0-;;;

snowcrash>i'm very keen in learning the manual settings, actually :cry:

Yin,
If you are interested in learning about the camera settings, you might want to invest in one with both auto as well as manual settings (auto for those fleeting moments and manual for those times you can slowly do like sketching)
Auto focus is also very valuable especially if you wear glasses. Imagine going through an entire film only to realise that what looked sharp in the viewfinder turned out blurr in the actual photos.
Those early nikon auto focus consumer cameras starting from the F601 (I think) should be quite suitable for you since they are quite light.

meimei,

got lah, the password is "Pentax". Stated on the page u download.
FM10 is a plastic body made by cosina. I have 1 but Ricoh brand.
Same stuff. The FM10 uses CdS meter instead of SPD which is better.
But then FM10 is available new :)

I have many camera and I use them all. The MX shutter sound very shiok...dunno how to explain. Just go to Camera workshop or Prime beside cathay photo. There are 2nd hand display there, ask them to let you try and feel it. There are nikons and Minoltas too. Go ask to take a look.

Yin said:
whoelse>read all the articles except that the manual link wasn't working... it asked me for a password :( they're very inspiring! detrop has a holga i think *wide grin*

firefox>i'm in dilemma =_=; so tempted to grab that rollei... in other hand... having a nikon would be so convenient...(lenses available), and that pentax is tempting as well > 3<

mdz2>actually i'm thinking the same too... i want both! but.. *cough* budget constraint. for the time being, i'm only going to buy one! maybe i will get a pns because detrop said he can lend me his if i want to learn the camera settings... until i can afford to buy another one. but one day i'll get that pentax... :embrass:

whoelse>yes yes i'm going for sure! BUT IM HAVING MUMPS HERE SO IM STUCK AT HOME :cry: omg i missed out the password part... my swollen cheek is taking over my senses!

been reading the links on the sticky thread in newbie section... heaps of things learnt :)

for the moment, if i'm buying manual, i might get nikon FM-10 but
for pns, i'll molest rollei prego 90 :embrass: (but rollei prego doesn't look cute... wonder if you can make the body colorful without hurting it somewhat:()

FM10...how abt FM2? or best FM3 :D

whoelse>FM3... heavy... :embrass: FM2 looks pretty cute tho, altho it's a lil bit heavier.. just by a tiny bit. any big difference if i pick up FM10's heavier brothers instead? :eek:

but that pentax tops my looks lust :heart: somehow. the feeling is just like when i picked my beloved pet hamster from the shop. stood by the shop window for almost two hours staring at the lil rodent :embrass:

Apart from all these are chemistry. Sometime u gotta hold and feel them... maybe u may ended up with a Seagull brand heheh.

Somemore to read

Yin said:
whoelse>FM3... heavy... :embrass: FM2 looks pretty cute tho, altho it's a lil bit heavier.. just by a tiny bit. any big difference if i pick up FM10's heavier brothers instead? :eek:

but that pentax tops my looks lust :heart: somehow. the feeling is just like when i picked my beloved pet hamster from the shop. stood by the shop window for almost two hours staring at the lil rodent :embrass:

What do you think about Yashica ?
you can mount a zeiss lense (very nice color constrastion) on certain model..

just my 0.000002 cts :) cheers.

** Putting a cam in your handbag just like putting ur "observant" in the bag....

Yin said:
i'll molest rollei prego 90 :embrass: (but rollei prego doesn't look cute... wonder if you can make the body colorful without hurting it somewhat:()

long ago there was a purple prego 35-70

whoelse>seagull?(birds came into mind)

besh>didn't get your statement although i've read it for a few times..."Putting a cam in your handbag just like putting ur "observant" in the bag...." means? that's right! i haven't checked out yashica yet :)

voigtlander>they are quite pricey i heard? i will look it up though! who knows if i desire it, santa or maybe judge bao will drop money in my tattered wallet :embrass:

ricohflex>couldn't find the image yet :( but it sounds cute... just wanted to look at it... hahahaha

say... buy auto first... or manual first... i'm dying trying to decide... :cry:
another concern: i'm planning to take B/W photographs too somewhere along the line... but it seems that i can't use any filters for rollei prego 90? *stumped*

Status
Not open for further replies.