Heya! Where to get Dry Box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I using a Akarui digi, I am living in sembawang and i twist my dail to 12 o'clock and my meter reads app 48 to 49 haiz

i just bought my D60 today.
Also looking to buy dry box / cabinet.
On the side track, you all got buy lens?
I find 55mm too short.

Jus got my digi-cabi dry cabinet today. My beloved one bought for me from AP funan. I've been looking around for quite sometime finally got it today. It comes with 5 years warranty.

Heyaa Guys!!! I've just gotten my dry box. Having second thoughts now, after reading how poisonous and carcinogenic the blue silica is. I followed the instructions and microwaved e silica pack (which was already pink), n there was water vapour and smoke coming out...:eek:

Is that normal?...and it was wet....

Are the fumes harmful to health??? carcinogenic??? I wouldn't want to save money at the expense of me or my family's health...:bsmilie:

A datasheet from www.sciencelab.com

Routes of Entry
: Absorbed through skin. Dermal contact. Eye contact. Inhalation.

Chronic Effects on Humans:

CARCINOGENIC EFFECTS
: Classified 3 (Not classifiable for human.) by IARC [Hydrogen chloride].

MUTAGENIC EFFECTS
: Mutagenic for mammalian somatic cells. [Cobalt chloride hexahydrate]. Mutagenic for
bacteria and/or yeast. [Cobalt chloride hexahydrate].

DEVELOPMENTAL TOXICITY
: Classified Reproductive system/toxin/male [POSSIBLE] [Cobalt chloride
hexahydrate].
May cause damage to the following organs: upper respiratory tract, skin, eyes, teeth.
Other Toxic Effects on Humans:
Very hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant), of ingestion, .
Hazardous in case of skin contact (corrosive, sensitizer, permeator), of eye contact (corrosive), of inhalation (lung
sensitizer, lung corrosive).
Special Remarks on Toxicity to Animals: Not available.
Special Remarks on Chronic Effects on Humans:
May cause adverse reproductive effects.
May affect genetic material.
Special Remarks on other Toxic Effects on Humans:
Acute Potential Health Effects:
Skin: Causes severe skin irritation and burns. May be absorbed through skin in harmful amounts.
Eyes: Causes severe eye irritation and burns. May cause irritation of the conjuctiva or blindness
Inhalation: Causes irritation and possible burns of the respiratory tract and mucous membranes. May affect the
liver and sense organs
Ingestion: May be harmful if swallowed. Causes irritation with vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, pain. May cause
burning of the gastrointestinal tract. Can cause nausea and vomitting. May affect behavior, the cardiovascular
system, and urinary system

I have seen mixed reports of safety of cobalt chloride in silica gel when dessicated in microwave or that some silicas do not impregnate cobalt chloride. But i would err on the side of caution and logic tells me not to microwave it in the microwave that i use for food.

Ryan

Is getting a big dry box better or getting a dry box that fits nicely your camera body and lenses? I am thinking of trapped air inside the dry box - with a smaller dry box, moisture should be easier to handle? or this is a small issue?

Heyaa Guys!!! I've just gotten my dry box. Having second thoughts now, after reading how poisonous and carcinogenic the blue silica is. I followed the instructions and microwaved e silica pack (which was already pink), n there was water vapour and smoke coming out...:eek:

Is that normal?...and it was wet....

Are the fumes harmful to health??? carcinogenic??? I wouldn't want to save money at the expense of me or my family's health...:bsmilie:

Hi bluemystery,

Silica gel beads should not be microwaved.:) Unlike heating in the oven, when the microwave uses microwave energy to 'ccok' food, it basically makes use of the vibrational energy of the microwaves to agitate (vibrate) the water molecules, which then translate to heat to cook the food.

The water in the beads was agitated by the microwave energies and thus was ejected from the beads, leading to wet beads, but this may also allow harmful chemicals in the beads that absorb the water to be removed to the atmosphere too. Sometimes, if the pressure in the beads is too high, bursting of the beads may occur.

In my lab, we re-use the silica beads by heating them in an air oven at 100C. In the home setting, we don;t have a proper ventilation exhaust and equipment to re-heat the silica for prolonged use.

Based on my knowledge, I will advise you either buy new silica gel when it expired (turned pink) or invest in a dry cabinet which I used at home. :)

Cheers,

A datasheet from www.sciencelab.com

Routes of Entry
: Absorbed through skin. Dermal contact. Eye contact. Inhalation.

Chronic Effects on Humans:

CARCINOGENIC EFFECTS
: Classified 3 (Not classifiable for human.) by IARC [Hydrogen chloride].

MUTAGENIC EFFECTS
: Mutagenic for mammalian somatic cells. [Cobalt chloride hexahydrate]. Mutagenic for
bacteria and/or yeast. [Cobalt chloride hexahydrate].

DEVELOPMENTAL TOXICITY
: Classified Reproductive system/toxin/male [POSSIBLE] [Cobalt chloride
hexahydrate].
May cause damage to the following organs: upper respiratory tract, skin, eyes, teeth.
Other Toxic Effects on Humans:
Very hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant), of ingestion, .
Hazardous in case of skin contact (corrosive, sensitizer, permeator), of eye contact (corrosive), of inhalation (lung
sensitizer, lung corrosive).
Special Remarks on Toxicity to Animals: Not available.
Special Remarks on Chronic Effects on Humans:
May cause adverse reproductive effects.
May affect genetic material.
Special Remarks on other Toxic Effects on Humans:
Acute Potential Health Effects:
Skin: Causes severe skin irritation and burns. May be absorbed through skin in harmful amounts.
Eyes: Causes severe eye irritation and burns. May cause irritation of the conjuctiva or blindness
Inhalation: Causes irritation and possible burns of the respiratory tract and mucous membranes. May affect the
liver and sense organs
Ingestion: May be harmful if swallowed. Causes irritation with vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, pain. May cause
burning of the gastrointestinal tract. Can cause nausea and vomitting. May affect behavior, the cardiovascular
system, and urinary system

I have seen mixed reports of safety of cobalt chloride in silica gel when dessicated in microwave or that some silicas do not impregnate cobalt chloride. But i would err on the side of caution and logic tells me not to microwave it in the microwave that i use for food.

Ryan

A note to the forum users,

I forgot to add that what giantcanopy got is part of the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for the silica beads. In actual fact, the silica gel (or whatever chemical) that the photo shops are selling should have come with their respective MSDS to highlight potential hazards, but :think: likely the silica gel beads are too common in photography today, thats why maybe they normally dun put it with the product.

Kudos to giantcanopy for highlighting the dangers of silica gel beads.

Advice to fellow members is that when in doubt, pls dun try to experiment at home, especially chemical products.:)

Cheers,

A note to the forum users,

I forgot to add that what giantcanopy got is part of the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for the silica beads. In actual fact, the silica gel (or whatever chemical) that the photo shops are selling should have come with their respective MSDS to highlight potential hazards, but :think: likely the silica gel beads are too common in photography today, thats why maybe they normally dun put it with the product.

Kudos to giantcanopy for highlighting the dangers of silica gel beads.

Advice to fellow members is that when in doubt, pls dun try to experiment at home, especially chemical products.:)

Cheers,

I'm really shocked as to hear from you csers how dangerous the silica can be. I mean I always thought it was safe, so long you didnt pop it into your mouth, that's why people are using it right? Seems so common. AND, the stupid instruction sheet from the drybox clearly stated to MICROWAVE the Silica Gel Pack!!! If I hadn't done extra research, i wouldnt have known about e carcinogenic effects when inhaled, or whatever. No Precautions, Warning label, whatsoever is placed on e plastic bottle of silica. Can someone do a sticky for this...to highlight the hazards to newbies like me, who would be more likely to opt for a dry box than a cabinet due to the price.

ANYWAY, I'm changing to a dry cabinet ASAP!!! No point sacrificing health for hobby.

And Thanks guys...for giving these info :D

I'm really shocked as to hear from you csers how dangerous the silica can be. I mean I always thought it was safe, so long you didnt pop it into your mouth, that's why people are using it right? Seems so common. AND, the stupid instruction sheet from the drybox clearly stated to MICROWAVE the Silica Gel Pack!!! If I hadn't done extra research, i wouldnt have known about e carcinogenic effects when inhaled, or whatever. No Precautions, Warning label, whatsoever is placed on e plastic bottle of silica. Can someone do a sticky for this...to highlight the hazards to newbies like me, who would be more likely to opt for a dry box than a cabinet due to the price.

ANYWAY, I'm changing to a dry cabinet ASAP!!! No point sacrificing health for hobby.

And Thanks guys...for giving these info :D

hi bluemystery,

:)No need to be too alarmed. silica gel beads are harmless when handled correctly. When the silica gel turned pink or changed to a different colour just throw them away will do. The silica beads should be quite cheap, and they last quite long unless you keep opening the drybox.:)

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.