Help with ND Filters

gabby85

Feb 23, 2011
Guys I am impressed with pictures taking using ND filters however I am still a newbie and I do not know if I should get 77mm filters and use step up rings for my lens or get those square filters like cokin or various brands. Any special things to take note other than color cast if stacking various filters for square type? I know for the 77mm filters, you cannot stack them rite? Any kind seniors can give some advice? I search the forum however does not seem to find any threads that answer my question.. or maybe I did not search hard enuff :embrass:

Guys I am impressed with pictures taking using ND filters however I am still a newbie and I do not know if I should get 77mm filters and use step up rings for my lens or get those square filters like cokin or various brands. Any special things to take note other than color cast if stacking various filters for square type? I know for the 77mm filters, you cannot stack them rite? Any kind seniors can give some advice? I search the forum however does not seem to find any threads that answer my question.. or maybe I did not search hard enuff :embrass:

Square filters are more prone to light leaks especially visible when using extreme NDs.
Square filters comes in various sizes. Cokin P (85mm), Cokin Z (100mm).
It is possible to stack a screw in ND with a square filter. Just that at 10mm-12mm, you do get some vignetting.