Help! Wedding shoot @ St. Andrew's Cathedral

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevyan

Jan 5, 2005
PR
Hi all,

Anyone of you had any experience for wedding shots @ St. Andrew's Cathedral?

I am helping my friend for his wedding, but after reading the guidelines... wah.... quite restrictive man.....

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

whats the guidelines?

Hi all,

Anyone of you had any experience for wedding shots @ St. Andrew's Cathedral?

I am helping my friend for his wedding, but after reading the guidelines... wah.... quite restrictive man.....

Any advice? Thanks in advance.
the guidelines are there for a reason, can check with the in charge if need flexibility with some of the rules.

Some churches disallow the use of flash, while the altar at some are restricted area.

You can use a fast prime lens, and reccee the place to identify good shooting spots.

Flash photography is restricted to:

A) During the bridal procession (This is to stop once the bridal procession has reached the chancel steps)

B) At the Exchange of Rings

C) At the Unveiling & Kiss (Exchange of kisses)

D) During the Signing and the Recessional

Movement: Must not enter the chancel or climb into the pulpit or lectem. Photographer must only limit his movement to the south aisle behind the Bishop Throne, the Canon Stalls and the pulpit, and the north aisle behind the Canon stalls and the lectem.

Noise: Cameras with noisy shutter cocking devices are not to be used during Cathedral services. (I wonder who still use it).

A) During the bridal procession (This is to stop once the bridal procession has reached the chancel steps)

Movement: Must not enter the chancel or climb into the pulpit or lectem. Photographer must only limit his movement to the south aisle behind the Bishop Throne, the Canon Stalls and the pulpit, and the north aisle behind the Canon stalls and the lectem.

Noise: Cameras with noisy shutter cocking devices are not to be used during Cathedral services. (I wonder who still use it).

Woah... that's kind of limit yourself to a small area. Get like a fast lens? Or just flash, don't care about the rules. Rules are to be bend since it's a wedding which is once in a lifetime

Or just flash, don't care about the rules. Rules are to be bend since it's a wedding which is once in a lifetime

That is ill-advise. Please have some respect for religious places & practices. And it is because of people flouting such rules, that result in bans for others in future.

That is ill-advise. Please have some respect for religious places & practices. And it is because of people flouting such rules, that result in bans for others in future.

I'm a believer myself.

Woah... that's kind of limit yourself to a small area. Get like a fast lens? Or just flash, don't care about the rules. Rules are to be bend since it's a wedding which is once in a lifetime
you will make the day bad for the wedding couple and sent out the church in no time.

this is pretty standard, with or without the rule, I will do more or less the same.

anyway, why do those churches have such rules in the first place? cos some jokers treat the HOLY MATRIMONY like a photoshot outing, just shoot anyway they like.

Last time, prior to terrorist attacks, they would document details with videocam and camera.. now everyone is sensitive when they see someone shooting in buildings or outside it.

I think cameras might soon be disallowed in more places soon if you share your thoughts with everyone.

Regards

If in doubt take Raw and bring two cameras in case one is emptying contents into the memory card while something is going on.

tell the in charge you are not familiar with the place and ask where are the recommended places previous photographers would stand. Its not the first wedding in the cathedral after all. :)

make an appointment if possible to be there during the rehearsal or at a time when the cathedral is not used to check out the lighting and experiment with your shots. write down the settings for what you think are good shots.

another option would be to have a second photographer or even if possible ask the couple`s friends to chip in for a professional wedding photographer. It would make a nice wedding gift. :D

Last edited:
Most pros and seasonal photographers have no issue on these,
Because when a wedding couple decide to have their Holy Matrimony held, they already know what are the requirement on photography, most wedding couples will remind their photographers to abide the regulation given by the church.

My advice: Just follow the rules, everyone will be happy.

No worries all, I will follow the rules. Just need some pointers due to these restrictions.

Anyway, the pillar floodlights will be switched on. I guess I can just up the ISO a bit, shoot at f2.8 and shutter speed at 1/50.... ;p

the photographer cannot use flash
but all the friends and relatives can use flash on their cameras

tats what i notice anyway
:bsmilie:

sorry to post in this thread but I need advice. I m doing as a 1st time backup photographer for a fren's wedding when he picks his bride.... issit better to use F2.0 in aperture mode or just use P mode to prevent subject motion blur? I m using a LX3 w built in flash... :dunno:

sorry to post in this thread but I need advice. I m doing as a 1st time backup photographer for a fren's wedding when he picks his bride.... issit better to use F2.0 in aperture mode or just use P mode to prevent subject motion blur? I m using a LX3 w built in flash... :dunno:
check out the Wedding thread.

to prevent subject blur usually means higher ISO and faster shutter speed but better have good light although slight underexposure will be inevitable even in the most perfect of conditions.

If in doubt, set to auto and shoot more.

check out the Wedding thread.

to prevent subject blur usually means higher ISO and faster shutter speed but better have good light although slight underexposure will be inevitable even in the most perfect of conditions.

If in doubt, set to auto and shoot more.

thanks.... I plan to set my ISO to auto @limit of 800 but should I use shutter piority mode set to any suitable shutter speed?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.