Help! Wedding shoot @ St. Andrew's Cathedral

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry to post in this thread but I need advice. I m doing as a 1st time backup photographer for a fren's wedding when he picks his bride.... issit better to use F2.0 in aperture mode or just use P mode to prevent subject motion blur? I m using a LX3 w built in flash... :dunno:

Personally for wedding shots, I don't advise to use the built-in flash. Even on a LX3 with a F2.0 (24mm), your flash coverage would still be limited to wide angle shots....:think:

Hi all,

And advice if I should shoot RAW or JPEG?

RAW
recover some details without the use of flash.

The AWB is going to be a killer if using jpg, Raw is the wisest choice but try not to press the shutter eagerly as you dont want the buffer emptying during a critical shot.

just be patient with the conversion process.

so far havent asked but what setup will you be using for the wedding itself and do you have a backup camera or better yet a backup photographer?

Last edited:
I only have 1 camera, and I will be using the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 lens.

Last evening was the rehearsal, I was told, 'No flash allow'.

I have a backup photographer, but he can't be of much help as there can only be only 2 people (max.) in front shooting, me and the videographer.

It's really going to be a challenge.

The AWB is going to be a killer if using jpg, Raw is the wisest choice but try not to press the shutter eagerly as you dont want the buffer emptying during a critical shot.

just be patient with the conversion process.

so far havent asked but what setup will you be using for the wedding itself and do you have a backup camera or better yet a backup photographer?

not really. what you can do is have the backup at either extreme left or right corners of the cathedral with a zoom lens on elevated tripod mount for high view, side shots of the couple. critical moment will be when the couple start to face the each other and then the guests. In case anything happen to yourself or the videographer...the backup in the corner with the at least 300mm zoom lens is the lifeline.

Will be something like this shot which starts simple,
mexico-guadalajara-ceremony.jpg

to,
1494311_026a.jpg

Not as nice as up close, front shots but doesnt hurt to have backup pics just in case. Ask your backup if ever done elevated sniping (for lack of better term) shots as that is what its going to be.

Last edited:
Thanks...

Oh boy... my PC is going to crawl just by converting RAW to JPEG.... :sweat:

I am not sure what camera you will be using, some have more than 1 pre stored custom WB. If you gonna to shoot jpg, it is fine, just get a grey card or white sheet of paper handy. Before the ceremony starts, go to the place where actual ring exchange is, use the grey card to set the correct WB first as your custom WB. Then during the ceremony where no flash is allowed, switch to the custom WB. When the WB is slightly off it still can be saved fairly easily in Lightroom.
If you have a few presets, that is the best, have a few scenes so you do have to keep setting the WB.

I think I will use the EXPO Disc to do the white balance. Thanks for the advice. ;)

I am not sure what camera you will be using, some have more than 1 pre stored custom WB. If you gonna to shoot jpg, it is fine, just get a grey card or white sheet of paper handy. Before the ceremony starts, go to the place where actual ring exchange is, use the grey card to set the correct WB first as your custom WB. Then during the ceremony where no flash is allowed, switch to the custom WB. When the WB is slightly off it still can be saved fairly easily in Lightroom.
If you have a few presets, that is the best, have a few scenes so you do have to keep setting the WB.

Status
Not open for further replies.