Help on Provia and Velvia

Status
Not open for further replies.

swift-monkey

Apr 4, 2002
Visit site
I am a new user for the above slides.
If i use Canon system, do i need to make exposure adjustment for taking normal landscape???

No, my friend advice me to slightly overexpose to 0.5EV for your normal shoot.
The second thing, is it really necessary to use UV filter for every shoot?? How if i want to use polariser???
Normally attaching the two will cause vignetting.

Any comment???

for the uv filter i don't think it's absolutely necessary, but it does provide protection to an otherwise exposed front element of the lens. so i recommend that it should be on at all times.

to stack, is not advised if it causes vignetting. if i have the time to remove the UV and put on the polariser, i would.

Originally posted by swift-monkey
No, my friend advice me to slightly overexpose to 0.5EV for your normal shoot.

Any comment???

No need to overexpose or underexpose any frame for your 1st Slide attempt. Try to find out the characteristic of the film 1st, different people have different taste and exposure methods.

Using MANUAL metering and MANUAL exposure setting is highly recommended for SLIDES.

It is very important to record down how and why you chose certain exposure settings.

You must always be consistent in your metering method.

When you get your film back from the lab, use a proper loupe and light panel and see if the exposure suits your taste. Try to print some of your best shots. Lastly, if you observe a constant underexposure from your slides, you can try to compensate by changing the film ISO setting. Else if there are only a few scene with exposure problem, make sure you know the cause and compensate your exposure setting if the similar situation arise again. :bsmilie:

Agree with jasonpgc, you don't really need to do exposure compensation. However, you must take note that the exposure latittude for slides is really really small, especially for Velvia and Provia. One stop either way, and you will get burnt spots or underexposed areas with no details at all. The contrast is very high. So your friend may have told you to exposed +0.5EV to bring out the shadow details.

However if you are shooting general landscape, and there's no shadow detail to speak off, you should shoot at the correct exposure. or maybe even -1/3 EV to bring out the colour.

Velvia has very saturated colour already, if you put a polariser on it, well, the colours may become too funky. Provia has more accurate colours, the polariser will help to bring out the blues and greens better.

I know people who rate their velvia at 40 (overexpo) and rate their provia 100f at 125(underexpo).

It's really down to personal taste...

Try 2-3 roll and just shoot stuff, recording down the reading you used. Match it with teh slide to see if the output is wat you got.

In a nutshell, you dun need to change the EV. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.