Help! on hard disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

danlin

Feb 17, 2006
hi all
i jus got a portable hard disk (samsung) but why do i still need to connect to a power supply with the cable instd of jus a usb cable. and the mini cd they gave cant be insert into my ibook.

brcause your hdd is bigger than 40gig and it will require more power.

single usb power is usually not sufficient

either two usb or power supply:)

and about the mini disk... re burn using a PC on to a normal disk first lor hehehe

Yarp, slooow is correct. not sure about the 40 gig fact. my cousin can run her 80 gb samsung notebook hd on her desktop with just one usb but not mine. guess depends on how many usb device you attached to you ports and also the power the case took too.

Most USB ports are expected to deliver 500mA per port, while most 2.5" HDD (Notebook HDD) are rated to consume 1000mA.

So.. maybe it'll work with only one USB port, but it's normal if it doesn't work with only one port delivering half the required current.

If it works without the power supply, that means it'll work. If it doesn't, then the power supply is needed.

danlin said:
hi all
i jus got a portable hard disk (samsung) but why do i still need to connect to a power supply with the cable instd of jus a usb cable. and the mini cd they gave cant be insert into my ibook.

eh, but my 80gb hitachi and 40gb samsung can run on both desktop/laptop single wired. :think:

The specification ratings of USB is at least 500mA which is much lower than the 800mA - 1A requiredd by 2.5" HDD. Most notebook's USB can produce more than 1A but some lower budget Notebook only design at 500mA. My company's Dell Latitude Notebook (Business class) can power 3 80GB HDDs at the same time without any problem. But my home Compaq Presario (Consumer class) can only power 1 HDD. My brother's older Compaq Presario can't even power 1 HDD. Have to use the 2 USB cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.