Help Needed- Must rent/ borrow camera, lens & flashes for wedding shoot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fWord

Jun 23, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Good day all!

I'm looking for kind forumers to point me to sources where I can loan/ borrow DSLRs, lenses/ flashes for a wedding shoot. Two of my friends and myself are involved.

Long story, but here's how it goes. Tim was asked to do a wedding shoot for his colleague, who apparently doesn't want to go through the trouble and cost involved to get a wedding photographer. According to the to-be-wed couple, they do not expect results and we are not going to be paid.

Glenn and myself have met with Tim, discussed things over and decided that Tim cannot do this alone, so all three of us will have to chip in and help on the day itself. Unfortunately, we have no experience, and have little to no gear. This was already made clear to the couple, who say they don't mind.

Here's the rundown:

Tim- uses a Canon 400D and 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5. Needs to borrow a flash, and a standard zoom. A fast zoom would surely help, but we're not choosy.

Glenn- uses an old film camera. Will need to borrow a Canon DSLR, standard zoom and flash.

Myself- already have a DSLR and a 24-105mm f/4. Will at least need to borrow a flash.

Currently I have already found two kind friends who will lend flashes to me, so we tentatively already have two flashes and need one more.

As mentioned, we are not paid for the shoot and thus need to cover costs ourselves. We will need to borrow the gear ASAP and practice till the wedding on the 27th. That means we may only be able to return the gear at the end of January. As you can see, rental costs will run into the hundreds by then. :dunno:

If anyone is willing to loan out any gear at a budget rate for a long period, or (if I dare to hope), at no charge, then please PM me with the gear you can loan out, and the rates you charge, plus a contact number.

I will then get in touch with Glenn and Tim and at least one of us can meet up with you to loan the gear. Once again, this is a big plea for help...hope you'll be able to lend us a hand. :) Also, we are aware that wedding shoots are huge undertakings and can destroy a photographer and everyone else involved. If you have any kind advice, just shoot! :thumbsup:

erm you can always say no you know? Why do you all feel so pressured to "help"? IMO such an unreasonable couple deserves to have no wedding photos, since they clearly place no value on memories for their big day.

anyhow, if you don't mind the el cheapo equipment I use, I do not mind lending you a standard 24-60/2.8 Sigma zoom. PM me by 4pm today or sms me at 98341467 after that because I'll be in camp.

I agree with stoned.... they expected "TIM" to help , right ? When did it become THREE Musketeers :sweat: ? You can always say NO..or at least, explain to them what you all intend to do and get them to bear the rental costs. In a worst scenario, if you do not manage to get the low cost or FREE equipments from us, are the extra TWO still shooting ? :devil:

We have a lot of fellow CSers offering their equipments for rental ... IMHO, very decent rates lo.... You need to borrow our gears to practise ???... NO NEED LA..since the couple is not paying you all and you still need to shoot..just shoot la on the day itself .... miss the shots.then just too bad for them lo

Oh, among all ..you may well be the only one with the preferred gear :)

Happy shooting !

Maybe TS and guys are having good opportunity to learn wedding photography so maybe won't mind paying abit. :)

Yes, however don't feel too pressured as an obligation to take for them.

erm you can always say no you know? Why do you all feel so pressured to "help"? IMO such an unreasonable couple deserves to have no wedding photos, since they clearly place no value on memories for their big day.

anyhow, if you don't mind the el cheapo equipment I use, I do not mind lending you a standard 24-60/2.8 Sigma zoom. PM me by 4pm today or sms me at 98341467 after that because I'll be in camp.

Yes, that's absolutely right. I could also say 'no' to helping Tim, but when things like that happen, usually my heart speaks louder than my mind, so I usually end up agreeing to it.

On the flipside it could be a valuable experience. My own cousin is getting married probably December this year, and though they will be hiring a pro photog, I could still do a few things on the sidelines, or behind the scenes.

Will drop you a PM.

I agree with stoned.... they expected "TIM" to help , right ? When did it become THREE Musketeers :sweat: ? You can always say NO..or at least, explain to them what you all intend to do and get them to bear the rental costs. In a worst scenario, if you do not manage to get the low cost or FREE equipments from us, are the extra TWO still shooting ? :devil:

We have a lot of fellow CSers offering their equipments for rental ... IMHO, very decent rates lo.... You need to borrow our gears to practise ???... NO NEED LA..since the couple is not paying you all and you still need to shoot..just shoot la on the day itself .... miss the shots.then just too bad for them lo

Oh, among all ..you may well be the only one with the preferred gear :)

Happy shooting !

While I agree with you, as things usually go, I end up listening to my heart, so I end up getting into trouble like this. :bsmilie: We are already discussing amongst ourselves that if we rent equipment at a cost, then we'll see if the couple wishes to at least pay for that. If not then we make do with what we have, and no regrets I guess. They might be giving us a red packet each, but it's just a token of appreciation really.

Again I don't want to project the couple in the wrong light because I'm not directly involved and don't know the full story, but as far as I can tell, these are the conditions that we have to work within.

It worries me when people mention that I'm the one with the preferred gear. Because that might make me the main photographer on the day itself. :eek: But oh well...all for the experience I guess.

The one without flash can shoot at iso1600 B&W, journalist style.
The one without DSLR can shoot with Lomo, artistic expression.

Lastly, you do not need a long zoom. Asking for a "fast" zoom is "asking too much." Furthermore, I have attended a couple of weddings, and have yet to to see any photog use a 70-200 2.8, only wide & normal zooms, some not even L lenses. Use the sweet spot, f8, iso 400.

Maybe TS and guys are having good opportunity to learn wedding photography so maybe won't mind paying abit. :)

Yes, however don't feel too pressured as an obligation to take for them.

Yar, I'm definitely trying to think of it this way. It could be experience that's worth going through, and having at the back of my mind whenever I do anything else in the future. After all, at least I can tell myself that I've done at least one wedding in a lifetime.

Once again, I don't want people to think wrongly of the couple. I've heard of such things happening before, where people would do the photography with a P&S or a disposable if nobody else wants to help. In such circumstances, I guess anything is better than nothing.

The one without flash can shoot at iso1600 B&W, journalist style.
The one without DSLR can shoot with Lomo, artistic expression.

Lastly, you do not need a long zoom. Asking for a "fast" zoom is "asking too much." Furthermore, I have attended a couple of weddings, and have yet to to see any photog use a 70-200 2.8, only wide & normal zooms, some not even L lenses. Use the sweet spot, f8, iso 400.

Yes, we have considered doing it that way. Make do with what we have and see what we can come out with. In that case, both Tim and myself will do PJ style, and Glenn has a vintage SLR and a rangefinder which will probably accomplish the same. Hope I didn't mention it anywhere, because we don't want a long zoom. Nobody is going to lend us a 70-200mm f/2.8 unless they know and trust us.

However, a standard zoom such as a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 or a Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 lens could be useful. In the worst-case scenario, if (God forbid), the lens is lost, or is damaged, we can still afford to pay for it. ;p

Again, if we cannot find anything, we make do with what we have. No harm trying to see what help we can get here though. I'm sure there's lots of people here who can advise, and I should at least satisfy myself that I have already asked and tried to source for help.

i seldom reply to such posts anymore, and you definitely sound like a really nice guy...

but wat the %$#%$% is happening these days?

i absolutely admire your enthusiasm to help another person, or the enthusiasm to shoot a wedding, or probably both, but to go to such trouble??

as u mentioned, if things go to ideal plan, you would be forking out hundreds in rental of equipment, or at least other parties would be FORGOING hundreds in rentals, should they be kind enuff to lend them to you. so from a couple getting married who wouldn't want to pay for a phtoographer, those helping them are actually paying them to have their memories recorded forever????

that sounds like utter crap to me. i know it's not the couple that has planned this whole thing to be this way, and i'm by no means pointing fingers here, but as a assess the situation, that's how i see it.

if i were the couple, i would be SO PAISEH you know, i would feel very bad about it. seriously.

i dunno lar, this is possibly one of the worst cases of "exploitation" (or what seems like it anyway) i've seen this year. oh wait... it's only just started!

i do like your attitude however, u even want to have the equipment way before hand to practice so as to increase the chances of shooting better at such an impt event. your PROCESS is great, and u have a great attitude, but the REASON why u do it.. that's beyond me. totally. maybe i'm not as gracious a person as you, but then i'm a full time photog, there is no way i can shoot free so i guess i won't be able to understand. pardon me for that.

To be fair. I do know of couples who are really strapped.

I for one, couldn't afford to pay for photography and almost went without one, a friend was kind enough to volunteer. That was he's gift to us. We couldn't afford to print the photos, my uncle who works in an advertising agency then, he printed for us a few poster prints.

So, I can understand. Just make do with what you have.

i seldom reply to such posts anymore, and you definitely sound like a really nice guy...

but wat the %$#%$% is happening these days?

i absolutely admire your enthusiasm to help another person, or the enthusiasm to shoot a wedding, or probably both, but to go to such trouble??

as u mentioned, if things go to ideal plan, you would be forking out hundreds in rental of equipment, or at least other parties would be FORGOING hundreds in rentals, should they be kind enuff to lend them to you. so from a couple getting married who wouldn't want to pay for a phtoographer, those helping them are actually paying them to have their memories recorded forever????

that sounds like utter crap to me. i know it's not the couple that has planned this whole thing to be this way, and i'm by no means pointing fingers here, but as a assess the situation, that's how i see it.

if i were the couple, i would be SO PAISEH you know, i would feel very bad about it. seriously.

i dunno lar, this is possibly one of the worst cases of "exploitation" (or what seems like it anyway) i've seen this year. oh wait... it's only just started!

i do like your attitude however, u even want to have the equipment way before hand to practice so as to increase the chances of shooting better at such an impt event. your PROCESS is great, and u have a great attitude, but the REASON why u do it.. that's beyond me. totally. maybe i'm not as gracious a person as you, but then i'm a full time photog, there is no way i can shoot free so i guess i won't be able to understand. pardon me for that.

Yes, coming from a full-time photog it's perfectly reasonable to think that way. I'm sure the couple didn't even feel good asking my friend to cover it, and I don't know if they are aware that there's another two fellas who are probably going in to help out as well. This would all boil down to discussion, as and when Tim gets the chance to do so. But for now, as part of this 'team', I have to at least satisfy myself that I tried my best to ask for help on these forums, because amongst the three of us, I'm in the best position to do so.

The other two guys have hardly been 'seen' at these forums. So far so good. I've got two flashes...probably. Might be able to borrow a fast standard zoom this weekend. Not bad at all! :think:

It's true that others will lose out if they're nice enough to loan for free, and it is risky because I could disappear without a trace. Come to think about it, I don't feel nice asking for help down here either. It's like saying, 'Hey, gimme some help, but I don't want to give you anything.' :bsmilie: But for those who really don't mind, we are deeply appreciative.

well as i mentioned, you would have ur reasons for doing all this goodwill, which is beyond me. and i might have to add this time that even if i wasn't a wedding photog (i wasn't always! :) ) i still won't be able to see it.

good luck then!

well as i mentioned, you would have ur reasons for doing all this goodwill, which is beyond me. and i might have to add this time that even if i wasn't a wedding photog (i wasn't always! :) ) i still won't be able to see it.

good luck then!

:bsmilie: Not only would it be beyond you. Sometimes it's even beyond me why I do things for some people. But I just do. Maybe one of these days I'd change and know better...just young and inexperienced I guess. Glad to hear from you though.

Ok normally I will not bother to answer a post like this any more. Why ? If you do not know your limitations some one telling you about is not going make a difference anyway so you would have to learn from experience.I shoot wedding on assingments along with products and what ever I assess to be within my scope of competency, can cheerfully tell you to do a real PJ style wedding cover means more than just have the appropriate focal length or camera. Its a way of seeing the picture possibilities unless the 3 of you are already able to see the picture no amount of trying that day is going to get you bang on target. Add to this is that you are doing fast moving event, with dear unpredicatable people whom you have to capture in a pleasing manner. Add to your woes is the PJ style require a very fine touch with flash, if you have not been using a flash the handicap is very large. I find your ambitions may over reach your abilities and diaster is sure to follow even if the couple bless their little hearts who cannot take the trouble to choose and pay for some one who is doing this sort of work to cover the wedding, do not expect good photos its not the same if there are no photos that they can use. Let also not go into their definition of what is good and what is acceptable - you may find lots of sharp spiky points there that you did not expect.Lets be clear what is helping others and what is I wanna go try to shoot that ok? With 3 of you shooting that day it could get difficult - it is most definite not a model shoot.
Good day all!

I'm looking for kind forumers to point me to sources where I can loan/ borrow DSLRs, lenses/ flashes for a wedding shoot. Two of my friends and myself are involved.

Long story, but here's how it goes. Tim was asked to do a wedding shoot for his colleague, who apparently doesn't want to go through the trouble and cost involved to get a wedding photographer. According to the to-be-wed couple, they do not expect results and we are not going to be paid.

Glenn and myself have met with Tim, discussed things over and decided that Tim cannot do this alone, so all three of us will have to chip in and help on the day itself. Unfortunately, we have no experience, and have little to no gear. This was already made clear to the couple, who say they don't mind.

Here's the rundown:

Tim- uses a Canon 400D and 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5. Needs to borrow a flash, and a standard zoom. A fast zoom would surely help, but we're not choosy.

Glenn- uses an old film camera. Will need to borrow a Canon DSLR, standard zoom and flash.

Myself- already have a DSLR and a 24-105mm f/4. Will at least need to borrow a flash.

Currently I have already found two kind friends who will lend flashes to me, so we tentatively already have two flashes and need one more.

As mentioned, we are not paid for the shoot and thus need to cover costs ourselves. We will need to borrow the gear ASAP and practice till the wedding on the 27th. That means we may only be able to return the gear at the end of January. As you can see, rental costs will run into the hundreds by then. :dunno:

If anyone is willing to loan out any gear at a budget rate for a long period, or (if I dare to hope), at no charge, then please PM me with the gear you can loan out, and the rates you charge, plus a contact number.

I will then get in touch with Glenn and Tim and at least one of us can meet up with you to loan the gear. Once again, this is a big plea for help...hope you'll be able to lend us a hand. :) Also, we are aware that wedding shoots are huge undertakings and can destroy a photographer and everyone else involved. If you have any kind advice, just shoot! :thumbsup:

To be fair. I do know of couples who are really strapped.

I for one, couldn't afford to pay for photography and almost went without one, a friend was kind enough to volunteer. That was he's gift to us. We couldn't afford to print the photos, my uncle who works in an advertising agency then, he printed for us a few poster prints.

So, I can understand. Just make do with what you have.

Thanks...yes, I guess it does happen after all. Sometimes perhaps, people are not that strapped either, but they perhaps also do not need to get superb photographs of their wedding. They just want snapshots of the day itself, done with a disposable, or something of that nature.

In that case, I think help from us is alright.

Yup, three photogs might be just a bit too much. I would have been okay with two. But three?! :think: I would leave it to Tim to discuss with the couple to see what they want. Chances are, if they only want two, then I'll just pass my equipment on to them, borrow minimally, and it'd all be fine. Sourcing equipment for three people is definitely much more challenging. If only two photogs were doing this, we already have all that we need.

Ok normally I will not bother to answer a post like this any more. Why ? If you do not know your limitations some one telling you about is not going make a difference anyway so you would have to learn from experience.I shoot wedding on assingments along with products and what ever I assess to be within my scope of competency, can cheerfully tell you to do a real PJ style wedding cover means more than just have the appropriate focal length or camera. Its a way of seeing the picture possibilities unless the 3 of you are already able to see the picture no amount of trying that day is going to get you bang on target. Add to this is that you are doing fast moving event, with dear unpredicatable people whom you have to capture in a pleasing manner. Add to your woes is the PJ style require a very fine touch with flash, if you have not been using a flash the handicap is very large. I find your ambitions may over reach your abilities and diaster is sure to follow even if the couple bless their little hearts who cannot take the trouble to choose and pay for some one who is doing this sort of work to cover the wedding, do not expect good photos its not the same if there are no photos that they can use. Let also not go into their definition of what is good and what is acceptable - you may find lots of sharp spiky points there that you did not expect.Lets be clear what is helping others and what is I wanna go try to shoot that ok? With 3 of you shooting that day it could get difficult - it is most definite not a model shoot.

Yes, good advice and completely valid. ;) I've done some reading of my own and have learnt that a wedding shoot for n00bs is definitely a call for disaster. The factors that you've mentioned have already been deliberated over by the three of us. Our reasoning though, is that three stooges will be better than just one, that is, if the couple doesn't mine. We know that the situation is terribly dire. Pressure will be high, and from all sides.

We also know that equipment is just the tip of the iceberg and that the artistic touch plus the technique is way more important. That said, we're merely trying to get all the help we can find, to scrape this together and make it work.

Believe me, we know shooting a wedding is miles apart from photographing scenery, or even street. But I think this is a challenge that, if taken up, will be great experience, though likely to be extremely painful. We are already lowering expectations as much as we can. If we pull this off, and get pictures that can make them cry, then that's just a bonus. Otherwise, it's just tough. Thanks for writing. :)

:thumbsup: for your big heart!! You're a good person. I reckon that Tim the other person whos gonna help out are kind hearted person as well! If I'm the groom, I sure will be very touch and paisay for "my" action.

However, still have to comment on the couples action. Yes as what the other CS folks mention, the couples seems to be kind of Bo-chap for such a big day. Well lets say if they're cash strap, I think it would be wise not to hold any wedding dinner in the first place...as you wouldn't know if you'll land up in debt again..i.e. Lugi money after counting the AngBao.

anw, it sounds to me that they're kind of taking advantage of friends/collegue. I do know such person though! :(

Anw, best of luck in whatever you decide to do! :thumbsup:

Good day all!

Hi fword,

My $0.02 contribution to this topic...
I think that renting the equipment may not come up to as much as you think...

You would just have to maximise and fully utilized the rental period.... I suspected that you all would probably need to rental for a max of maybe 6 days? 2 weekends(13-14) & (20-21) & the actual day (27-28). If so, you can probably lower the rental charges to below $300?

Things that you would probably need to rent:
1) 580ex flash
2) Camera Body -> 350D? with kit lens

You already have:
1) Canon 400D
2) 10mm-22mm (which would be great for table shots and group shots)
3) DSLR
4) 24mm-105mm (which would be great if you need to do focus shots)
5) 2 flashes from friends

Thus well you can't be expected to cover all the events at one go and you could rotate out the tasks.

1) Table and Group shots be covered by the guy with 10mm-22mm. Once equipped with a flash, I think that it would be sufficient.
2) Focus shots where medium and long shots can be covered by the guy with the 24mm-105mm.
3) last but not least, when you rent the camera body, you can consider renting a 17-40L lens

If you calculate everything down, you probably can save or at least cut the cost of the rental down to a min.

Status
Not open for further replies.