Help needed: Masking

one952

Jun 10, 2010
there are many ways of doing this, you can find details instruction on how to remove background from Youtube.
My personal favorite is using pen tool.

ya best use a pen tool. if it's too cheem or you don't need very high quality work i think you can still make do with magnetic lasso. Shadow area might be a bit troublesome though.

Wouldn't it be easier just to avoid any background right from the start? There are ways of shooting products with white background, slightly overexposed without any details left. Since you did the initial shoot it might be faster just to redo everything with different light setup and background.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be easier just to avoid any background right from the start? There are ways of shooting products with white background, slightly overexposed without any details left. Since you did the initial shoot it might be faster just to redo everything with different light setup and background.
for small items like table top product shots, it is rather impossible to overexpose the background without affecting the product itself, so even using a plain white background, it will not be pure white so you still need to PS it.

well, if it was supposed to be white in the first place then a big miscalculation by TS. though it's also likely only after the shoot a client may ask "oh, can you change the background with photoshop? I want this image but use it with a white bg... blah blah... I know you can do anything with photoshop! Last time my photographer also do for me."

maybe before shoot didn't clarify the details or said all DI inclusive etc etc, so LL have to do the work for them. Anyway 10min PS work still better than go through all the trouble of resetting your home studio. Not everyone has a proper place to shoot, TS may not own the equipment used, the product may no longer be with TS, etc etc. The contrast between the product and bg is quite distinct, just need to take some artistic liberties at the bottom.

unless the existing photo is unusable and the reshoot is chargeable to the client, no good reason why a 2nd round is required. Time is money. Sometimes don't have to spend so much effort for some jobs, just do acceptable standard can liao. This time only 1 product 2 angle, next time got 10-20 product 2 angle and client want to change bg again. If you think need to reshoot, hah your head will explode.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. The product is with me and i guess i will do a reshot as the bottom is not easy to mask out.
My client want a clean white bg. . So no matter wad i use will have some form of texture.
Base on the photo i post, i think you guys sld be able to tell i do not have proper equipment.

It's taken on chairs with white clothes. I think later i try black clothes with lighting from the front to achieve better contrast so easier to crop.

Anyone got any better suggestion for me to achieve better contrast frm the same angle so that cropping will be easy?

Thanks everyone for the feedback. The product is with me and i guess i will do a reshot as the bottom is not easy to mask out.
My client want a clean white bg. . So no matter wad i use will have some form of texture.
Base on the photo i post, i think you guys sld be able to tell i do not have proper equipment.

It's taken on chairs with white clothes. I think later i try black clothes with lighting from the front to achieve better contrast so easier to crop.

Anyone got any better suggestion for me to achieve better contrast frm the same angle so that cropping will be easy?

It's my opinion it's doable to mask/lasso. You can be less exact at the bottom. Anyway the better method is to etch slightly into the product, it's so
you won't be left with a halo and can "remove" specific bits and pieces to reshape the product for a more atheistic appearance. Don't have to follow ridge by ridge.

But if you want to reshoot also can, use white or light grey paper/art card as bg instead, and have a couple of bounce cards at the side. It'll help to reflect light to the bottom.

throw you a free tip. When you need to etch a product it's best to use light grey coloured bg. Light grey is not usually used as a product colour hence mostly likely to form a good contrast against
any product. Other good things with grey is it's mid tone and won't add color cast. Just have to take note that when any light hits the bg, the colour will lighten and so,
if your product has grey or white tones, use a darker grey to compensate.

Don't use black, you will reflect black into the product or some people like to say "it's eating the light" then you need to pump even more light or compensate with higher ISO (no good!).
Also, how to solve the bottom part which is in shadow if your bg is black? Making it worst right? Reflecting black is a special technique in product photography, not used in this method.

Last edited:
do yourself and your future clients a favor, check out the web for "how to shoot a table top product shot" before you take in anymore such assignments.

bro foxtwo is very nice, but I'm afraid that is too advance for you.

Re-shoot is better. Low budget? A simple cheap and large mahjong paper can already works wonder. Anyway, you do need to work on product styling as your shots are not quite able to tell what it is.