Help Needed: Hard drive Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nooch

Apr 22, 2004
Central Part
Hi Need help guys...

I have a 40 GB Maxtor Hard drive that I bought few months back and it seems to be workin fine until yesterday when I store my Images that are around 5gb to it, it display this message: ' Delayed Write Failed', anyone have any idea why this happens or ever happen to anyone here before?

If so, what shall I do?

Thanks.

Maxtor :sweat:

If you hear funny sounds ... and check your event logs giving you SMART errors or equivalents pertaining to your hdd .. better start backing up ...i'd avoid maxtor at all costs.

dEthANGeL said:

If you hear funny sounds ... and check your event logs giving you SMART errors or equivalents pertaining to your hdd .. better start backing up ...i'd avoid maxtor at all costs.

You mean Maxtor has a bad thread record?

dEthANGeL said:

second that

nooch, backup is ur first priority

again..

I got 2 40GB maxtors with same problem.
Funny that when I do a thorough disk check after formatting, no problems were found.

Yr hard drive is dying slowly, u should start backup all yr important data and files, its a matter of time yr hard drive will die eventually.

nooch said:

Losing 40gb of stuff is no joke ... happened to me once .. (it was 2 weeks before warranty ended) hard drive totally failed... can hear the heads go "clak clak clak clak" all the way.

Sent down to Taknet to RMA.

I asked, how come maxtor like that, the dreadful reply - MAXTOR what :rolleyes: (that's comforting)

My 80GB maxtor which i bought a few months after th 40gb one above, started to have clicking sounds. :sweat:

Enough said, RMAed the bugger though the dealer said "there's nothing wrong" ... got a brand new DiamondMax 9 sealed. Sold it off immediately the next day and bought my self a WD hdd.

2 encounters almost at the end of the warranty period, the HDD fails. Seems like its a common problem. Or am i that SUAY. :rolleyes:

As the guys @ HWZ love to say - MaxtorTURE.

dominator said:
don't listen to all these comments.

Erh .. suggest you go read up on the track record for maxtor hard drives.. i'm avoiding them like the plague now ... i used to trust them until 4-5 incidents all involving the rigs i built for friends / relatives all pertaining to maxtor hdd.

Though it does happen inevitably on all brands but its quite bad for maxtor.

Guess I'll listen to you guys, just called my friend who got Maxtor last year. His HDD crash yesterday. Seems like they programme it to crash weeks after the warranty ends.

Guess it's a new way of doing business.

I have a WD which I use for years, nothing happens to it.

No wonder Maxtor had a sale for their 80GB External HDD which is only $99 at Comex.

dEthANGeL said:
Losing 40gb of stuff is no joke ... happened to me once .. (it was 2 weeks before warranty ended) hard drive totally failed... can hear the heads go "clak clak clak clak" all the way.
I understand ur pain since I undergo the same horrifying experience as well.

Sent down to Taknet to RMA.
U still have the option. My HDD died just 2mths after my warranty ended.

2 encounters almost at the end of the warranty period, the HDD fails. Seems like its a common problem. Or am i that SUAY. :rolleyes:
Maybe u and I are equally SUAY. Dead Maxtors at the end of the warranty period.... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'd gotten back my data and kicked the HDD back to life when I put it in a freezer and froze it for 45mins. Took it out, inserted into my external FW casing and fired it up.

It purred and came back to life. :thumbsup:

I've crashed a Maxtor, a Seagate, a Quantum HDD. My WD HDD is having some "clak" sound. Can anyone tell me which HDD brand don't crash. Or may be I'm just suay. :bsmilie:

like that also can?

you sure or not, put hdd in the fridge?

I also have a maxtor with click click click sound, still hoping for a way to retrieve my data.

My HDD model is DiamondMax Plus 60 7200 rpm
40GB AT Disk Drive

War end Sep04

Yup. I read it. Dat fella froze it for a day. Got back like 20mins worth of life before it wheezed and expired permanently.

Dat time I was pretty desperate to retrieve my stuff.... 60GB of data, thus I tried.
U want u can try. Juz dump it in the freezer for abt an hour.
Make sure its the HDD itself.
After an hour, take it out, quickly pop it into ur external casing (never mind the condensation. I oso heck) and den turn it on.

With some luck, u might be able to grab at least 50 to 60% of ur data back.
After all, life's a gamble. U've got nothing to lose, last resort liaoz. Juz whack.
Who knows? :)

I read somewhere that i need to use a hairdryer and heat it up
I thik that i'll try the heat first, and if that does not work then i'll try the freezer

thanks

damian77 said:
I've crashed a Maxtor, a Seagate, a Quantum HDD. My WD HDD is having some "clak" sound. Can anyone tell me which HDD brand don't crash. Or may be I'm just suay. :bsmilie:

Agree, I have been using Seagate, Hitachi, Maxtor, WD

from my experience, % of hard disk failure is more due to the user's PC and his luck

in the last 10 years, I have more Seagate and IBM (Hitachi) HDD that failed, than Maxtor

One way to decrease the % of hard disk failure will be getting a good power supply and surge protector, as well as leaving your PC on at all time.

Also, try to get a HDD cooler to keep the hard disk cool, and make sure you tighten ALL the 4 mounting screws

dEthANGeL said:
Erh .. suggest you go read up on the track record for maxtor hard drives.. i'm avoiding them like the plague now ... i used to trust them until 4-5 incidents all involving the rigs i built for friends / relatives all pertaining to maxtor hdd.

Though it does happen inevitably on all brands but its quite bad for maxtor.

Track record? is there one out there? Maybe you are just unlucky to be maxtor user.

Currently i have a samsung, a seagate and 2 maxtor. one of the maxtor been running since 1999. This is the track record? but i will not say maxtor is good. to me all harddisks are the same, it's the user and sometimes the luck.
I help friends, colleagues and relatives to build pc too...never had complaints about the harddisk before.

jsbn said:
Yup. I read it. Dat fella froze it for a day. Got back like 20mins worth of life before it wheezed and expired permanently.

Dat time I was pretty desperate to retrieve my stuff.... 60GB of data, thus I tried.
U want u can try. Juz dump it in the freezer for abt an hour.
Make sure its the HDD itself.
After an hour, take it out, quickly pop it into ur external casing (never mind the condensation. I oso heck) and den turn it on.

With some luck, u might be able to grab at least 50 to 60% of ur data back.
After all, life's a gamble. U've got nothing to lose, last resort liaoz. Juz whack.
Who knows? :)

hmm, your case as in the harddisk spins and dies off? No more warranty?
to what I know when the centre motor inside die off, people will thought the harddisk crash already...actually the data all inside will still be there except the motor cannot spin..

can be repair.

dominator said:
Track record? is there one out there? Maybe you are just unlucky to be maxtor user.

Currently i have a samsung, a seagate and 2 maxtor. one of the maxtor been running since 1999. This is the track record? but i will not say maxtor is good. to me all harddisks are the same, it's the user and sometimes the luck.
I help friends, colleagues and relatives to build pc too...never had complaints about the harddisk before.

Don't want this to be a flame thread.

Anyway, if you've got friends working in this industry .. maybe you should find out more ... ;) ...which is one of the main reasons now i shun maxtor.

What Wai says is true, PSU also plays a very important role in supplying clean-spike-free power ...

nooch said:

I guess I am lucky. I have 6 maxtor HD still running at home for > 1 yr, with some of them 3 yrs. None has fail me.
But , all my 4 IBM HD fails within 2 years. :angry:

However, backing up is impt, regardless of which HD manufacturer you are using.

Status
Not open for further replies.