help in taking pictures in nightspots

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfl

Aug 12, 2004
hi guys, i'm kinda new to photography, and was hoping to get some tips from u guys.

how do u take pictures in nightspots? i'm asking specifically about several problems:

1. composition - the lighting in these sorts of places really isnt much to go with when attempting to see how the picture will turn out on your lcd (ie. u practically see nothing on your lcd). I often find myself practically having to rely on "luck" (or some nearby light source to give me some idea) in order to get things like the zoom, and the composition correct. Looking through the viewfinder might be helpful, but, i dont think it'll work anymore when u use the zoom, right?

So is there any good, or practical way to solve this problem.. besides getting a DSLR (which i assume should solve this problem)?

2. smoke in the air - how do u get rid of the effect when u take the pic and the picture comes out all hazy and "white" because of the smoke? i want and need to use flash though - so taking the flash out will not do.

I guess the only way would be to use a flash, since a slower shutter won't work if you're talking about places like a disco (the subjects would move too fast, causing a blurred effect). Either that, or pump up the ISO and hope for a nice shot, though higher ISO on P&S cameras tend to have pretty unacceptable noise...

Gymrat76 said:
I guess the only way would be to use a flash, since a slower shutter won't work if you're talking about places like a disco (the subjects would move too fast, causing a blurred effect). Either that, or pump up the ISO and hope for a nice shot, though higher ISO on P&S cameras tend to have pretty unacceptable noise...

yeah well if i'm not mistaken, the ISO setting on my cam wont go very high as well... - up till 800 only if i'm not mistaken. So there is no effective way to get rid of the smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.