Help! D90 or 50D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, if you're brand conscious between the big two - it doesn't matter which one you choose as long as you're happy with it.

This boils down to your needs and main reasons why you want a dslr in the first place. Try handling both cameras at the shop - it's important that you are comfortable with the feel, build, and handling of the system.

It goes beyond brands. Having a dslr means - options to play with interchangeable lens. It's important to research the cost of lenses when you feel that you've progress beyond the kit lens. Check out the Canon and Nikon pricelists... are you prepared to pay those prices? How would you feel if you have to pay say $10,000 dollars for a 600mm lens to go with your D90? Pay attention to the economics. ;)

However, if you're open-minded. Other brands like Sony, Pentax, Olympus, Panasonic have decent bodies and a legacy collection of lenses to choose from. Sony has konica and minolta lenses, Pentax has Super Takumars, SMC lenses, Olympus... their ziuko lenses. Many of those lenses are on par, if not better than the current range of Canon/Nikon lenses at "affordable" prices.

That said, there's absolutely nothing wrong if you choose either Canon or Nikon but it is totally wrong if you buy either one and don't even bother to read the owner's manual. In which case, one might as well get a point and shoot camera..... I'm sorry but i have friends who don't even bother to find out how to use a dslr. They only use the auto-mode.... :confused: Quite sure, you're NOT one of them. :)

Good luck on your search. And to all Canon and Nikon users - no offence, yah?

As i mention i still a newbie and will taking up courses to learn about shooting.

As for branding, i think is about my own comfort level with the brand and i have list out and ofcoz i have been looking for some review myself yet can decide which to go for. Yes they are other brand out there which may be better for the price i pay for the nikon or canon but why there is some ppl out there choose btw Casio G-shock and Rolex? G-shock is cheap and good where you don't need to bring to service center and pay $400 for a servicing like rolex every 2 years. Its about the comfort brand im looking for. ;)

Hope you understand i just wanna compare this 2 model bro :)

As brand is my primary ;)

I will only choose Nikon or Canon btw D90 or 50D only.

I been shopping almost 2 weeks btw this 2 model. I have feel and hope both before and both feel good. As over the specs 50D have 6.3 fps and 4.5 fps for D90. And yes Nikon have a nicer body but Canon 50D have a more robust body.

Will settle down either one this week and hope to get more review over their real specs and quality of photos of both too.

My 2 cents worth...
A camera is just a tool.
It's who taking the pictures that matters.:)

the investment is not on the body but the system aka lenses , flashes as well as others like memory card, dry cabinet , bags , tripods etc...

you've narrowed down to 2 choices , Canon and Nikon. They both have a long history and they're top brands for reasons.i wont say that the other brands are not good, they are but the popular ones are still those 2 brands you mentioned.

whichever you choose, be it Canon or Nikon, you've made a great choice already. whats important is as i've mentioned in my earlier post, YOU go and try it out yourself. there's no point talking about the performance right now.

why? if you go down to specs like noies control, AF(autofocus) and accessories, there isnt much different . really. My point is, technology has improved so much that you cant go that wrong . there's photoshop or image editing to help you out .. but of course you must have the skills to produce the pictures first and not make it into a disaster

Thanks bro. Will do some shopping this weekend for both. If really like both will buy both. D90 for gf 50D for myself.... :D

Thanks bro. Will do some shopping this weekend for both. If really like both will buy both. D90 for gf 50D for myself.... :D

if you go with your heart, i believe you've made your choice :) shoot more, learn more.

As i mention i still a newbie and will taking up courses to learn about shooting.

As for branding, i think is about my own comfort level with the brand and i have list out and ofcoz i have been looking for some review myself yet can decide which to go for. Yes they are other brand out there which may be better for the price i pay for the nikon or canon but why there is some ppl out there choose btw Casio G-shock and Rolex? G-shock is cheap and good where you don't need to bring to service center and pay $400 for a servicing like rolex every 2 years. Its about the comfort brand im looking for. ;)

Hope you understand i just wanna compare this 2 model bro :)

No worries :)

Remember to buy extended warranty for your choice of camera. Servicing for either Nikon/Canon cameras will still be quite pricey once the warranty expires. But if you take care of your investment, ie. get a dry box or a dry cabinet - it will provide you with many years of service.

Like I said, the choice is yours. As long as your comfortable with it. Just pick one model will do - if not, you'll go bonkers replicating lenses on both models. Having 2 dslrs is like having a wife and a mistress. Exciting, maybe but think of the stress hiding here, and sneaking there.... who knows, they might start ganging up on you :sweat:

People choose Casio G-shock because wearing a "rolek" watch to the jungle is plain crazy. hahahaha...

Your gf might want the Pentax KX. It's quite a hit with many girls... and it's great for guys too - probably to pick up girls ;) :bsmilie:

PS. I'm kidding... so don't take it personally.

Hi bro,

From this post, seems like you have already made your choice...

Go for it!!

:)

Remember that the camera body is just a start, buying lens & accessories for 2 different brand will make you a very poor man in long run..

Pls ignore if ur pockets are deep ;p

With the recent price CNY offer for the Pentax K-7 + dual WR lens kit, you'll be a carrot not to go for that over the D90 or 50D.

The D90 and 50D are mid-ranged DSLRs that offer pentaprism, secondary LCDs and dual command dials over the entry-level DSLRs.
The Pentax K-7 is a prosumer model like the ~$2400 Canon 7D and ~$2440 Nikon D300s, that have the following features over the mid-ranged DSLRs:
- Weather resistance
- 100% View Finder
- Electronic Level
- AF assist lamp

And how much does the K-7 cost? Somewhere just under $2400? No... it's below $1350 ($1338 at SLR Revo). That's cheaper than or around the same for the body only D50 and D90. If you choose to go for the WR dual kit lens (18-55mm WR + 50-200mm WR) it's an extra $440 ($419 at SLR Revo).

It's obvious what the smart choice is.

Hey bro, this price is really temppting:bigeyes:

sigh... so you are implying that whoever doesn't buy the K7 is an idiot la....am I right?
Ok... I'm sooooo stupid.... and you are sooooo clever...

Not really. Most people probably bought their cameras before the K-7 CNY offer was announced, and since Pentax does almost zero marketing in Singapore, most people probably haven't know about the offer. Can't really blame them. It's a good thing for some people come to Clubsnap and get the chance to find the offers that most people don't know about, so that they can make a better informed choice of what cameras they can get.

The bulb that lights up on my camera body when I auto-focus CANNOT POSSIBLY be the AF assist lamp, because only the K7 has that feature...

The AF assist lamp is a feature all the prosumer class DSLRs have. Of the mid-class DSLRs, the D80/D90 series are the only ones with this feature... little bonus for people with this series.

you can try the PENTAX K-7, now on sale with dual kit WR lenses...
most is getting one as the price will bounce back to original price after CNY.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632076&page=17

wah.. really tempting offer .. seriously.. I've always considered pentax to be the body of my choice if i ever do wanna give up my nikon

i tried the k-7 when i was shooting a wedding and this guy asked me to help him take his pic .. ended up distracted by playing around with it :bsmilie: luckily the bride and groom were changing aka 1hr break

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk7/page32.asp

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I just don't like it when people sugar coat stuff too much.
What's the use of offering someone your opinion when it's obviously biased? If it is, state so for the record. If one is able to offer the pros, he/she should be able to offer the cons as well so that people can make well informed decisions.

What's the use of offering someone your opinion when it's obviously biased? If it is, state so for the record. If one is able to offer the pros, he/she should be able to offer the cons as well so that people can make well informed decisions.

ok, please present the corresponding pages for d90 and 50d too.

thank you for the public service announcement. :)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk7/page32.asp

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I just don't like it when people sugar coat stuff too much.

Every camera has pros and cons - some of them are not even listed on review sites. Buggy software, build problems, lack of certain features, quality issues - do the proper research, compare the features, and make a wise choice even IF money is not a problem.

A review is subjective and in the end, not very helpful when the nitpicking starts. You can always find some cons to support a point of view/an opinion. Some will be absurd, seriously.
It's whether you can live with the cons and 99% of the time - the cons are not perceptible to most people because of the high standard of digital technology. If TS is comfortable with his choice go for it. It's not life and death, after all.

I'd say the best burger is Carl's Junior but most people will think McDonalds has the BEST burgers because of their constant advertising aka brainwashing. This... applies across everything including camera brands.

Let's not make this a brand war or a personal crusade. Relax, live and let live. ;)

Btw, do you know that Canon's ISO is higher inside the camera but they state a lower spec? It's from dpreview too. ISO 125 is rated 100, so on and so forth. Obviously, the quality will be different. ;)

Amongst the two I suggest D90. Its a great cam and good ISO at low light in use. 50D is not far behind. SPec does not tell u all the story nor the catalogue.

When u buy DSLR you should consider the lens too. Canon has wide selection of lenses. Nikon selection is slightly limited.

Agree. Lens choice would be the deciding factor. I would say you can't go wrong with either brand. Both have sufficient choices of lens for you and not forgetting that there are also Tamron, Sigma and Tokina.

I wouldn't say Nikon has more limited choice of lens. It really depends on what kind of photography you are after and how much you are willing to spend. Take a look at SLRgear.com and you will see the lists of lenses available for each brand with reviews and user feedback.

Hi bro,

From this post, seems like you have already made your choice...

Go for it!!

:)

I would go for the same brand to share accessaries.

Not really. Most people probably bought their cameras before the K-7 CNY offer was announced, and since Pentax does almost zero marketing in Singapore, most people probably haven't know about the offer. Can't really blame them. It's a good thing for some people come to Clubsnap and get the chance to find the offers that most people don't know about, so that they can make a better informed choice of what cameras they can get.

I'm all for "opening people's eyes" and giving them more options to consider, thus making a more informed decision.

I wholeheartedly agree that other brands besides the more "well-known" C and N present compelling cases for themselves.

What I disagree with are the way CSers have been pushing their own camera brands to newbies. It's almost like a case of sour grapes, if you ask me.
So... Canon and Nikon have been immensely successful with their (probably expensive) marketing campaigns, but is it any reason to begrudge these brands...?
The same applies for many things, like Starbucks vs some small-time cafe, or McDonalds vs Ramly Burger, or Toyota/Lexus vs Kia... the list goes on and on...

I'm all for "opening people's eyes" and giving them more options to consider, thus making a more informed decision.

I wholeheartedly agree that other brands besides the more "well-known" C and N present compelling cases for themselves.

What I disagree with are the way CSers have been pushing their own camera brands to newbies. It's almost like a case of sour grapes, if you ask me.
So... Canon and Nikon have been immensely successful with their (probably expensive) marketing campaigns, but is it any reason to begrudge these brands...?
The same applies for many things, like Starbucks vs some small-time cafe, or McDonalds vs Ramly Burger, or Toyota/Lexus vs Kia... the list goes on and on...

No la sometimes some ppl love their camera alot la... den their camera when ppl see liao goes huh? Pentax is simi?? never hear b4...

I also mah... den when i bought liao... everyone goes wah...

but without someone recommendation, you really won't know... in school you are taught to make bounded rational decisions... bounded means within certain boundaries... newbies' boundaries tend to be smaller cos due to lack of knowledge... like me... until i do more research and kena opened up my eyes...

No la sometimes some ppl love their camera alot la... den their camera when ppl see liao goes huh? Pentax is simi?? never hear b4...

I also mah... den when i bought liao... everyone goes wah...

but without someone recommendation, you really won't know... in school you are taught to make bounded rational decisions... bounded means within certain boundaries... newbies' boundaries tend to be smaller cos due to lack of knowledge... like me... until i do more research and kena opened up my eyes...

I agree...

but my point is that there's a difference between:

For your budget, you can consider
a
b
c
d
Personally I use and recommend b, because it has ________ features that I like

and writing

You should buy b, because its ______ and _______ is the BEST, and its price is lower than a, c and d. Looking at the prices of all 4, it's obvious which is the one to get, right?

some of the claims are unsubstantiated, in my opinion. And when one picks only the features that stand out above the others, ignoring all the cons, one sounds no different from a BMW salesman, trying to sell a BMW car in a BMW showroom...

:bigeyes: wah bro seems like budget is no issue to u at all... *jealous* man... but then it's good that both u n ur gf to get the same brand DLSR so can share lenses n other accessories like flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.