Help choosing a camera!! >.<

Status
Not open for further replies.
To all: My goodness. Please stop advertising the brands of the DSLRs you use. (E.g Nikon, Canon). If you want to give a good suggestion, USE ALL BRANDS OF DSLRs BEFORE GIVING YOUR INPUT. Don't give shitty comments like "Get a 500D , you wont regret it. "

I doubt we will be able to find many people who have used Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus and Pentax cameras before...

just to share abit of my experience in picking up photography

start off in 2004 with a 5megapix PnS, with the intention to learn more about photography. the camera of choice was a minolta Dimage F300. cost me 800++ back then. The reason for choosing the F300 is because it have full manual control (ie allow u to adjust aperture/shutter speed/iso/WB) This camera became my learning platform to understanding the basic functions of a camera which is the aperture, shutter, ISO and WB.

2007 step up to DSLR, camera was D80, reason is a mixture of budget and wants. what the DSLR open up to me is a bigger range for the basic function of any camera (aperture shutter ISO and WB) blurry pic still happens when i push beyond the limits of the camera capability at the given environment. but what compare to my old PnS, the chances of getting a better picture is greatly improved by the fact that the DSLR is more powerful (a larger limit in terms of its basic control over the aperture, shutter (A S ISO , WB)

2008 up further to D700 for its larger performance limit.

know what your camera can do and cant do, is the 1st step to taking better picture, knowing what your camera cant achieve will point u in the direction of what u want in your next camera.

PnS offer limited control over the A S ISO WB control thus at times cant get good picture, but having the control without knowing how to use them also will end up the same. before diving into a DSLR, one should learn or be willing to learn how to use the camera and not just use AUTO and leaving everything to the camera, then later blame the camera for the lousy picture.

lastly a little personal opinion, all cameras are very much equal in terms of performance be it PnS or DSLR in the day, its indoor and night photography that start to set them apart.

To TS, I think really alot of pros and advance hobbyists has given good advice from their bottom of their heart no matter what they sounds likes.

Sometimes when the basic of the photography (or technology) is not clear yet, its advisable not to dive into photography equipment investment. Like ISO, aperture, shutter speed, IS or VR, crop factor all this kind of things. Need to do some basic research before investing in one equipment. No doubt it is your own money, but I am pretty sure you want to get you money worth spending in terms on economic downturn now.

Same as "Is VR or IS important?" question. This sort of question is same as egg or chick first. No one really know the answer only Mother Earth knows. Cause user after knowing what they want and need in photography, then they will know it is important to them. Same as after using you own equipment for sometime, you will know what is your want(s) or need(s) or both in the next upcoming purchase.

Meantime, IMHO, I suggest you stick to using the P&S first and hone you skills. When you think the camera is limiting you in your photo taking capabilities, then invest in a DSLR. Now DSLR is getting smaller and smaller. Maybe by the time you have master the technique, the DSLR is probably slightly bigger then P&S. E.g: Panasonic G1 vs Canon G10. And the price tag too. :bsmilie:

Honestly I purchased a second hand 20D recently from a senior. I do get blurry picture despite using "fast" prime lens. It is not the DSLR fault, just probably my skills or settings knowledge is not there yet as I also upgraded from a prosumer. I have seen people using the same model 20D and same (kit) lens I am using but they do take magnificent pictures, be it post Photoshop or not. But at least when people and senior guide me, the basic term the used in conversation I understand them. Hence it will be more efficient in using the camera and setting it. Thus its up to individual skills to handle and manage the camera to capture the moment they want.

Hope by now you do have in mind what you wanted. ;) Just my 2 cents worth. No offence or pun intended.

P.S: Camera is just a light box. It captures light spectrum to form an image.

Last edited:
Okay. Thanks for all the helpful comments. =) I think I know what I want to do already.

Is it possible to close this thread? Thanks.

My apology if I have caused any misinterpretation from the "other than" words in the phrase. What I meant was, one can sell off any material purchases but you cannot do so with human, family and your pet for they are forever. Thus when it comes to material item, well take it easy :)

I am a bot typing :bsmilie:

Also, refrain from giving incredibly dumb comments such as this which helps no one. It simply shows how much you fail as a human being.

Anyway, TS, it's best for you to try out all brands and models of cameras, as I see you only tried the Canons and Nikons. Go try the others too. Feel your camera before you buy it. If the camera feels good in your hands, go ahead with the purchase. Nothing sucks more than realising that the camera feels uncomfortable for your hands and you don't feel like taking photographs because of this.

Okay. Thanks for all the helpful comments. =) I think I know what I want to do already.
Is it possible to close this thread? Thanks.

That's your job :) - Upper right hand, "thread tools".

This thread has lots of useful information contributed from members in regards to the usual doubts and confusion a newbie will face when first venturing into the DSLR world.

Sticky worth :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.