Hello everyone!

smunkc

Jan 17, 2011
Hi,

I am a newbie to DSLR but always love photography.

Finally, I got myself a DSLR and I am so lost, that I didn't even know that in "M" mode, change of Aperture is by rotation of the lense, i was still figuring out the buttons on the system to change it............:bsmilie:

After I got that figured out, all my shots went haywire!:angry:
All turns out black.......... or white................:cry:

This forum and guidance from friends had aided me into capturing some pictures but seeing those posted in this forum makes me WOW!:eek:

I hope to learn more as I go along.

Questions that i like to post are:

- Are there any fix rule on ISO? like nite time must be 800 or day time must 200 and so on....:think:
- Where when i set in M mode ISO to say 400, the camera will auto adjust for me? BTW, mine is a Nikon D3100.
- I love macro shots and it seems impossible to take it with the current lense i have (18-250mm), what type of lense will you recommend? I love taking pics of watches.

Thanks in advance for the advise.

Cheers'
Smun

Hi,

I am a newbie to DSLR but always love photography.

Finally, I got myself a DSLR and I am so lost, that I didn't even know that in "M" mode, change of Aperture is by rotation of the lense, i was still figuring out the buttons on the system to change it............:bsmilie:

After I got that figured out, all my shots went haywire!:angry:
All turns out black.......... or white................:cry:

This forum and guidance from friends had aided me into capturing some pictures but seeing those posted in this forum makes me WOW!:eek:

I hope to learn more as I go along.

Questions that i like to post are:

- Are there any fix rule on ISO? like nite time must be 800 or day time must 200 and so on....:think:

No fixed rule on ISO. A higher ISO allow you to use a faster shutter speed or smaller aperture but at the expense of higher noise level.

- Where when i set in M mode ISO to say 400, the camera will auto adjust for me? BTW, mine is a Nikon D3100.

I dun own a nikon camera. If M mode means manual mode, then you will need to adjust everything yourself.

- I love macro shots and it seems impossible to take it with the current lense i have (18-250mm), what type of lense will you recommend? I love taking pics of watches.

For macro photography, you can try various options from macro lenses to closeup filters.

Thanks in advance for the advise.

Cheers'
Smun

Btw from your post, i suspect you do not even understand the basic of photography. Suggest that you read up the b/m link.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544

Hi Snowc,

Thanks for the advise.

Ya, I am brand new newbie!

Sorry, where is the b/m link>?

Welcome:)

Welcome to CS. Perhaps TS, you should read the guide/manual to understand your cam better first.

Hi All,

Thanks for the link, for the "Welcome" and advise.............

I hope to post some pics here fo C&C soon.

Welcome.

By the way, there is no such thing as a "lense". It's spelled as "lens", plural of which is "lenses".

Read web articles, eg wikipedia, cambridgeincolor, normankoren, illuminous-landscape, etc and practise

It seems that you had a lot of reading and experimenting to do, my friend...:)

I always advise my friends to read up the basics before purchasing DSLR.

welcome to cs :D
Read more from the articles and guides section.. there are very comprehensive guides there..

Hello and welcome!

Hello and welcome...

For Qn 1&2, once you understand the exposure (aperture, shutter speed, ISO) you can answer them yourself.
For Qn 3, Macro can be achieve using various method such as close up filters, extension tube. read up the FAQs in macro section. :D

Hi welcome to CS!!
Shoot more, Post more, Ask more and you will Learn more!!:thumbsup:
Happy shooting!!;)

Welcome to CS... looking forward to your sharing... :D

welcome and enjoy your stay!;)