HDD Crash SOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
loupgarou said:
erm, if I'm not wrong, low level format on modern day harddisks never work..
Even if it did, I won't trust that HDD anymore. LLF is wayyyy too slow, a new HDD is cheaper.

loupgarou said:
a) if its a logical error and not a physical one, a scandisk would have fixed it and you won't discover more. thus its probably symptomatic of a physical error if you discover more and more bad sectors. (more so if the drive is more than 3 years old)

Speaking of which, Scandisk is probably guilty of more data loss than any other utility ever created. Since everyone has Scandisk, everyone uses it. But few people realize that Scandisk does NOTHING other than discard any data that it can't read.

That's why i never touch scandisk becauase it never really fix your hard disk, I have ended up having the whole hard disk filled with bad sectors thanks to scandisk ;(

Jed, I think you should bring forward your plan to get the new system, set this HDD up as a slave, copy the data off, reformat it, and use it as a scratch disk (eg. for Photoshop) or as temporary storage. I would not trust it with critical data again, and HDDs get cheaper over time.

And have regular DVD backups of your critical data, so that next time your HDD fails, you don't even have to worry about recovering your data ... just how to get the system working again (reinstalling Windows is also a pain in the rear end).

hazekang said:
how old is the hd? which brand isit? how come can anyhow crash?

just tot tat mayb the hd is old or its a lousy brand, cos he sounded like a hd crashin is very normal.

if a 2yr old hd crashed like tat i prob wont buy tat brand ever again.

A couple of weeks ago my less than one year old hard disk started giving me this kind of problem. Scandisk detected physical bad sectors and gave ominous warnings about imminent disk failure.

I just popped in to SLS, picked up a new hard disk and did a clean reinstall (Win 98SE gotta love it!). Mounted the old one as a slave and copied over all the data files.

hazekang said:

if i really avoid a brand because of this, i dunno what brand i can buy liao :dunno:

i have all brands of hard disks (segate, maxtor, ibm, western digital, samsung) and many of them died within 3 years. There are no lousy brand (otherwise they would have already closed down long ago), only different will be noise, performance and prices

I dunno why many pple have this concept, but no matter which brand u get, surly will have some % that failed within warranty, therefore how long the hdd can last will depends on your luck, and of cos there are external factors like heat and power source. make sure you get a good power supply (avoid those that comes with your casing) and install fans in front of the hard disk to keep it cool.

I have learnt from a hard way, now I send less hdd for RMA (I ever send 5 harddisk to seagate in less than 2 weeks), either because I make sure I get good power supplies and extra cooling, or because the manufacturers have increased their QC.

hazekang said:
just tot tat mayb the hd is old or its a lousy brand, cos he sounded like a hd crashin is very normal.

have a few IBM (now Hitachi) that crashed within a year, Quantum failing after 3 years, Maxtor 2 years, Seagate 3 years, etc. Guess you'll have to avoid computers liao!!!

to what i know.. new harddisks these days will fail after 2 - 3 years if you've bought them from SLS (except maybe those with 5yr warranty). The QC will select the top/best HDs for sale to big companies like ACER, Dell, Datamini,etc..(company look bad if their hd fails, customer blame computer company not hd company) and the remaining ones that "pass" QC goes to SLS.

And the turn-around time for each new product is relatively short(from new product intro to the next is only about few months to 1 year max) so they are always rushing and changing their manufacturing process (it never quite settles down to the 'best' config,when it does it's probably time to change product on that line.)

That is why harddisks will die for no reason whatsoever.

Best advise.. back up on external sources (CD, DVD, tapes, etc) if they are important. and i mean GOOD quality disks (not necessarily branded to be good).

Jed: you can also try this software called emergency rescue (er.exe) to recover your data if the HD crashed and cannot be recognised by windows.
I used it previously in my uni days and it worked great.

mpenza said:
have a few IBM (now Hitachi) that crashed within a year, Quantum failing after 3 years, Maxtor 2 years, Seagate 3 years, etc. Guess you'll have to avoid computers liao!!!
oh yah.. IBM (now Hitachi) notorious.. very very notorious.. 1 year 1 month.. hd confirm fail. I had 2 previously, both failed.. 1 year 1 month (just outside warranty period, left a deep impression on me :mad: ).

I do normally burn my stuff off onto DVDs, but I shoot SO much that I get backlogged. And also things like my emails, etc I don't do regularly backups off. Rather stupidly, some of my backups are actually on the hdd too (stupid stupid) such as my downloaded (and legal) software. Although I can always re-obtain them. We shall see. Will order the computer presently and hope everything is in stock.

Quick question actually, would you guys recommend a single SATA disk, or two PATA disks? What do I lose out performance wise by going the two smaller PATA disk route? I know obviously I gain two separate physical drives and all the benefits of that, particularly in light of current circumstances. Thanks.

Nothing beats my suayness in HDDs.

1. 1 fine day when burning a DVD of images, the thing autorebooted. (I later found I have a defective burner)

2. The bootup stopped at a black screen complaining about the lack of a file (HAL.SYS or something can't remember)

3. I thought, no big deal. I have a spare 60GB. Installed XP and all my software again on this.

4. 2 days later, this stupid Maxtor 60GB (past 2 years, but still under warranty) became totally unrecognisable.

5. Gotta wait till I am free enough to go SLS, pick up a new 80GB WD, then xfer all the stuff from the 1st crashed HDD (40GB Maxtor, warranty over) over.

Very thankfully all my stuff are on a separate physical 160GB WD.

Regards
CK

Jed, seeing the circumstances (ie. you're always backlogged), it may be wiser to get 2 PATA (or even SATA) disks, and mirror them. Integrity is important (data and moral :bsmilie: )

Disks are cheap, data is not. Neither is data recovery (time, $$$, frustration). Most motherboards come with built-in RAID, if not, it's a simple PCI card addition.

Good luck with your data recovery.

Yup!! Going with a mirrored RAID configuration (E.g. RAID level 1, if I am not wrong) is better in the long run if you can afford 2 HDDs. Eases heartaches & frustrations (in turn, you get to live longer :p).

Else, just do regular backups, which I do practically everyday. I use 'file synchronization' software to identify the new files to be updated. Files that are untouched are left alone. I also have an "unsorted" directory where I dump my new stuff until I have time to sort them & burn them.

Meanwhile, you can try Spinrite 6 (if you can get your hands on it) from Gibson Research (www.grc.com). It is a pretty good tool. The other tool is Ontrack EasyRecovery (http://www.ontrack.com/easyrecoveryprofessional/).

Good luck!!

ericp said:
Jed, seeing the circumstances (ie. you're always backlogged), it may be wiser to get 2 PATA (or even SATA) disks, and mirror them. Integrity is important (data and moral :bsmilie: )

I will recommend him to go for 2 x SCSI hard disks running in RAID 1 to get the best of both world - speed & reliability

PATA and SATA make no different because the only advantage is thinner cable.

performancce wise is the same (some times even slower than PATA) because SATA hard disk in the market are not native SATA, but simply converting PATA signal to SATA. Somemore SATA cables are not as tight-fitting as IDE cable, so u may pull it off accidentally.

nyxx88 said:
Else, just do regular backups, which I do practically everyday. I use 'file synchronization' software to identify the new files to be updated. Files that are untouched are left alone. I also have an "unsorted" directory where I dump my new stuff until I have time to sort them & burn them.

what "file synchronisation" software is that?

Let me just say a big thank you to everyone who's contributed. I hope to get my new system in about 24 hours time, and will try to put things as right as I can. I've ordered two SATA disks, an 80 and a 160. I had a brief conversation with Wai who suggested that because I'm not familiar with RAID that maybe I shouldn't run it, but if anyone fancies explaining it I'm all ears :) (I know the rough concept of *what* it is but I'm ont too sure about what it produces in real life)

Will update re the knackered hdd as well.

Jed said:
Let me just say a big thank you to everyone who's contributed. I hope to get my new system in about 24 hours time, and will try to put things as right as I can. I've ordered two SATA disks, an 80 and a 160. I had a brief conversation with Wai who suggested that because I'm not familiar with RAID that maybe I shouldn't run it, but if anyone fancies explaining it I'm all ears :) (I know the rough concept of *what* it is but I'm ont too sure about what it produces in real life)

Will update re the knackered hdd as well.
Well RAID is good. I;m running IDE RAID for my pagefile and for those PS scratch Disk. So far it hass proven to be much faster esp when you open up a few pics for editing.

Nvr tried a SATA RAID before so no comment on the SATA part but the RAID part is def a go go when doiing stuff that need to swap between the HDD and the Ram.

Recommanded 2x80GB RAID 0 and a 160GB for storage. *well since we are there, might as can throw in a DVD-RW. :p*

Jed said:
I had a brief conversation with Wai who suggested that because I'm not familiar with RAID that maybe I shouldn't run it, but if anyone fancies explaining it I'm all ears :) (I know the rough concept of *what* it is but I'm ont too sure about what it produces in real life)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I dont recall you ask me about RAID, who did u really talked to?

If need help setting up RAID, just get me an air ticket and I will go over to help you :D

Status
Not open for further replies.