HD PENTAX-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR

Your D610 covers already everything.

I know bro... its the size. ... keke.... now all going small small... old & shaky hand....

Come, buy the K3, then you would have fulfilled your desire as a Pentaxian. Join the Bright Side, come away from the Dark Side . . . kekeke

Haaa bro.... thinking hard.... but likely will get Pentax lenses for XE2.... and maybe FF.....

Haaa bro.... thinking hard.... but likely will get Pentax lenses for XE2.... and maybe FF.....

Only to realise that Pentax FF uses a different mount... Shiet.... LoL!

Only to realise that Pentax FF uses a different mount... Shiet.... LoL!
Bro, don't threaten me like that! :))

I kinda agree w flame angel here. After playing e DA20-40 for a while, I think Pentax finally got the lens coating right. Most Pentax lenses have pretty bad CA problem, including FA Limiteds and DA* lenses. They are pretty good in flare control due to our fantastic SMC coating (which evolved to HD coasting now), but somehow we are a bit lagging in CA control. Our lenses are sharp, produce great colors, but when we taking photos of some very contrasty subjected with bright edges, we often end up w some funny purple/blue colors on the edges which are not easy to clean up if you don't know how.

Good news is now w DA20-40 limited lens, this isn't a problem anymore, or at least it's reduced to minimum. I hope Pentax can retrofit all current lenses w their latest coating technologies so we'd see many improved MKII lenses. Add WR seals in our FA Limiteds, that's more useful than FF.

I think Ricoh is doing a great job by introducing the HD+WD+DC to the DA limited. Hopefully, the DA* & FA limited may received the same treatment in near future, since many lenses are way over due for an upgrade. I believe that the DA 20-40 will be a superior performance, better than the smc DA limited in many ways. The DC motor will give an edge to the AF speed comparing with the screw driven type. I can imagine the advantage this lens going to do with my K5II. The price makes me cringe a bit but this deal is too difficult to pass, anyway I am saving up for this little gem. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Many problem with the original DA and FA Limited lens are due to the problem of the Bayer Sensor not the lens. If there is new sensor technology coming out (for example using 1 pixel to receive the full spectrum of the light as film molecule) then the lens performance will properly return back to their original performance as they are on film! Sigma have come out with the Foveon technology using 3 different layer at the same pixel is one of the very good sensor technology although it is not perfect yet in term of light gathering to reduce noise through the depth of the silicon sensor).

Reactions: felixcat8888
I know bro... its the size. ... keke.... now all going small small... old & shaky hand....

I can feel what you said. Yesterday, I was helping out as an assistant for an event shoot, the photographer was kind

enough to ask me helping out for the shoot. I was given his spare canon 650D & also tried my hands on his full frame 5D3

The 650D was kind of plastiky feel in the hands, it did not feel as solid as my K5II. The weight was still manageable

with a prime 35 mm but still heavy. I also tried his 5D3 + battery grip + EF 24-70mm, it was heavy like carrying bricks.

Frankly speaking, this is a very capable camera, what I was impressed was the lightning quick AF of the 5D3. In term of

weight & built Pentax are smaller & better :)

I can feel what you said. Yesterday, I was helping out as an assistant for an event shoot, the photographer was kind

enough to ask me helping out for the shoot. I was given his spare canon 650D & also tried my hands on his full frame 5D3

The 650D was kind of plastiky feel in the hands, it did not feel as solid as my K5II. The weight was still manageable

with a prime 35 mm but still heavy. I also tried his 5D3 + battery grip + EF 24-70mm, it was heavy like carrying bricks.

Frankly speaking, this is a very capable camera, what I was impressed was the lightning quick AF of the 5D3. In term of

weight & built Pentax are smaller & better :)

Totally agree with u bro.....

Many problem with the original DA and FA Limited lens are due to the problem of the Bayer Sensor not the lens. If there is new sensor technology coming out (for example using 1 pixel to receive the full spectrum of the light as film molecule) then the lens performance will properly return back to their original performance as they are on film! Sigma have come out with the Foveon technology using 3 different layer at the same pixel is one of the very good sensor technology although it is not perfect yet in term of light gathering to reduce noise through the depth of the silicon sensor).

Hehe! True that but seriously, the 20-40 don't seem to exhibit PF or CA. Quite amazed actually.. Even on my K30, the IQ is already very good! On the K3, it's worse... I felt like throwing my K30 away.. LoL!

But anyway, no la.. Pentax won't go into those niche sensor tech or amazing fast glasses.

Pentax = Japan = Kawaii + general purpose traveling brand.

I don't see them "pro" camera from CaNikon being presented as kawaii.. Haha! Next lens upgrade would definitely be adding WR to the line of DA Ltds..

Therefore, think Kawaii!, and you can tell Pentax future from now already.. LoL!

It's all good though! I'm still loving the brand!

Last edited:
I'm just afraid that if we are trying to optimize (or to be correct customize) the good one for a not so good other then we need to redo or undo whenever a better one comoe out! Not trying to mention that the new HD coating are not good cause there are too many thing we don't know! Let's enjoy the better result if it suite anyone preference for now! :)

can someone share photos from this amazing lens or did I miss the photo posting. Thanks

haa...i am not a pentax user but this lens looks darn good and got me intrigued. anyone owns a A7/r and a pentax to nex adaptor can try this lens out to see the coverage on a full frame sensor?

i presume DC means aps-c lens, but not too sure hehe

haa...i am not a pentax user but this lens looks darn good and got me intrigued. anyone owns a A7/r and a pentax to nex adaptor can try this lens out to see the coverage on a full frame sensor?

Pentax prime lens got some cover the whole area. For zoom I think less likely hehe.

Think u buy the Leica wate better !

haha must look at cost also ma. leica wate out of my budget

Pentax prime lens got some cover the whole area. For zoom I think less likely hehe.

Think u buy the Leica wate better !

This is an APS-C lens.

Nope! DC means that the lens has a DC motor, which is the newer motor Uses on latest Pentax lens. It is said to be

better, in term of speed, more AF consistency, more reliable without having premature motor failure. The older

lenses are using SDM motor which is said to be less reliable, because of premature motor failure reported from users.

As for the DA limited & FA Limited lenses, they are the screw driven type, which is slower but does not have the dread

of motor failure & may be can last very long. Exceptionally to the limited lenses, this DA 20-40 uses a DC

motor, We can expect that the AF speed is lightning fast but this has to wait for user here to report this. :)

Last edited:
Nope! DC means that the lens has a DC motor, which is the newer motor Uses on latest Pentax lens. It is said to be

better, in term of speed, more AF consistency, more reliable without having premature motor failure. The older

lenses are using SDM motor which is said to be less reliable, because of premature motor failure reported from users.

As for the DA limited & FA Limited lenses, they are the screw driven type, which is slower but does not have the dread

of motor failure & may be can last very long. Exceptionally to the limited lenses, this DA 20-40 uses a DC

motor, We can expect that the AF speed is lightning fast but this has to wait for user here to report this. :)

Errr... Sad to say, no.. :'(