Haze really due to burning by farmers?

Bukitimah

Nov 28, 2010
Singapore
I don't recall we have haze in the 50 or even 60, and that is when we Singaporean also burn our dead leaves. Suddenly, we have more farmers over in Indonesia or their farm land has increased?

I think this is more the big boys burning down the forest for timber and just conveniently add it to the farmers account. How much could they burn for a plot of land after they harvested them? The farmers have been during this for donkey years, something must have changed that affect us so badly. :angry:

In order to do what they are doing now, they must have approval from the government or some top guns must have turn a blind eye to such activities for their own pocket. The rest of the world must boycott timber from such companies and that is the only way they will have to take actions.

Can some organization starts to identify the timber supplier who source their timber from such plantations. List down their clients who have imported these timber so that people around the world will know if they have contributed to world pollution by buying their products. :nono:

I don't recall we have haze in the 50 or even 60, and that is when we Singaporean also burn our dead leaves. Suddenly, we have more farmers over in Indonesia or their farm land has increased?

I think this is more the big boys burning down the forest for timber and just conveniently add it to the farmers account. How much could they burn for a plot of land after they harvested them? The farmers have been during this for donkey years, something must have changed that affect us so badly. :angry:

In order to do what they are doing now, they must have approval from the government or some top guns must have turn a blind eye to such activities for their own pocket. The rest of the world must boycott timber from such companies and that is the only way they will have to take actions.

Can some organization starts to identify the timber supplier who source their timber from such plantations. List down their clients who have imported these timber so that people around the world will know if they have contributed to world pollution by buying their products. :nono:

last 15 years the amount of land aquired in Sumatra for the cultivation of Palm Oil and Pulpwood has exploded. Clearing old trees and land for re-planting is cheapest by way of burning .

Just overlay a map showing the fire locations over a map showing where the Palm Oil plantations and Pulpwood forests are

a small handful of companies (a few are listed on our stock exchange) contribute to the bulk of this haze .... NOT millions of farmers

Last edited:
My guess is confirmed by you. Than if they are listed here, aren't we are the ones encouraging the burning?

Can we name them and shame them?

Oh.... I thought it's an island wide fumigation to curb dengue...;p

My guess is confirmed by you. Than if they are listed here, aren't we are the ones encouraging the burning?

Can we name them and shame them?

Instead of RSAF and RSN sending fire-fighting planes , ships and resources to help put out Indonesian fires, they should just send a few media photogs and SPF to a few Shenton Way and Raffles Place offices .... throw less than 10 guys into the slammer , maybe tar and feather them ..... the fires will be out in a week or faster.

If you want even more quickly, a public flogging this afternoon (Monday) should clear the haze by tomorrow night or Wednesday.

Last edited:
Instead of RSAF and RSN sending fire-fighting planes , ships and resources to help put out Indonesian fires, they should just send a few media photogs and SPF to a few Shenton Way and Raffles Place offices .... throw less than 10 guys into the slammer , maybe tar and feather them ..... the fires will be out in a week or faster.

If you want even more quickly, a public flogging this afternoon (Monday) should clear the haze by tomorrow night or Wednesday.

...... this is a job for our Environment minister, the good honorable Mr V Balakrishnan? Is he sleeping or what?

Uncle Ed...

your sarcasm will be lost on many

put it bluntly:

images

:)

...... this is a job for our Environment minister, the good honorable Mr V Balakrishnan? Is he sleeping or what?

He's busy arguing over a stupid hawker centre issue

He's busy arguing over a stupid hawker centre issue

No no no... He's supposed to oversee a thorough check and lim kopi with the opposition guy.

Anyway, this situation is a bit complicated. The fire happens outside Singapore jurisdiction. He has limited power besides asking the foreign government to cooperate. If the forest fire happens within Singapore border, then we can whack him for not doing anything.

I don't like him too, but I really can't pin this fault on him.

it's not timber. it's mostly palm oil.
and expecting certain foreign govts to actually enforce their own laws? fat chance.

and expecting certain foreign govts to actually enforce their own laws? fat chance.

not even with frequent Lim Kopi session with our minister? so sad.

2 of my colleagues just went to seek doctor to get MC for rest of the day
the burning smell is even getting INSIDE our office ..... already feel mabok and woozy already inhaling this for the whole morning

the burning smell is even getting INSIDE our office ..... already feel mabok and woozy already inhaling this for the whole morning

Ok. 2 day MC for you.

Ok. 2 day MC for you.

you guys just want an excuse to see the nurse right?

images

images

:bsmilie:

Last edited:

Smoking and inhaling the smoke also same thing wat ;p

the hazy is so bad now, I only barely can see I neighbour blocks, and there is a burning smell in the air.

PSI hit 100 as of 2pm. I expect an even higher reading at the 3pm update

If Singapore is complaining and Indonesia is not doing anything, then it is time to identify who is behind it. What is the point of saying it is the farmers.

We keep saying nos of hot spots. Do we know which plantation and who owns them? If yes, list them down because this is fact. As responsible citizen, don't buy their product or from companies dealing in their products. Our health suffer while they earn money. We should also reserve our right to sue them too.

Environmental minister don't look at hawker center lah.

problem is that these companies dont rely on selling cooking oil for revenues

the palm oil is mostly for bio-diesel blending in Europe so that oil companies (blenders) enjoy tax subsidies for being environmentally friendly

Isnt it ironic seeing whats happening here ?