Have you watched Goal the movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeocolin

May 2, 2003
Singapore
www.flickr.com
Anybody caught this film yet? Yeah! It features my favourite football club, Newcastle United. ;)

Really enjoyed watching the grounds, Newcastle city, players up close and personal. Story is pretty decent, although I would prefer the director/scriptwriter spend more time to develop the character and the story. Thought the film was a little too short, even though its supposed to be a trilogy. I can just feel the cold myself too, having got the chance to spend a month in Edinburgh, a neighbour of Newcastle although its across the Anglo-Scottish border.

Is it good? Any cameo by football stars?

Cameo by Beckham, Sven Goran Ericksson, Raul Gonzalez, Zizou and of course the 1st team of Newcastle United, such as Jenas (ex-Newcastle), Kieron Dyer!! ;)

Most prominent player will be Shearer.

However, if you know the rules of the British FA, the protagonist would never get to play for Newcastle in real life. This is because he is Mexican and not a Mexican national team player. The FA rules for Premier League (not sure about the lower leagues) are such that for non-EU players, they must play 75% of the matches of the national team over the past 1 year. The national team must be in the top 30 in FIFA or something like that. This means none of our national players can play for the EPL simply because our team is ranked something like between 100-110.

afbug said:
Is it good? Any cameo by football stars?

It's supposed to be different from any other football movie because it's filmed on location at actual clubs, at actual matches, featuring real players.

sbs99 said:
its a trilogy?
Yup. This first part was filmed at Newcastle, the 2nd at Real Madrid, and the 3rd part would actually be shot during next year's World Cup.

Cool! Even got that ballsless eriksson!

Hehehe.....got craig bellemy? :devil: I hope not sourness thou. :bsmilie: Flim at St James Park?

Our national players are not even good enough for Div 1, let alone EPL. BUT......the English FA's rules can be bend if required.....

yeocolin said:
The national team must be in the top 30 in FIFA or something like that. This means none of our national players can play for the EPL simply because our team is ranked something like between 100-110.

But there have been exceptions to the rule, no? Albeit rare, lah. I think got like New Zealand players in EPL (or is it one of their other lower divisions)? I don't think all of the international players in the English Leagues come from top-30something national teams.

afbug said:
Our national players are not even good enough for Div 1, let alone EPL. BUT......the English FA's rules can be bend if required.....

I remember a long time ago when Alistair Edwards went to play for Millwall (Division 2, I think??), and TNP reporters got all excited, went over and asked them what they thought of Edwards, who played for S'pore in the M-League, coming out as Golden Boot winner (I think twice in a row?). Their response was something along the lines of "We don't know much about him. We bought him because he was cheap."

:p

synapseman said:
I remember a long time ago when Alistair Edwards went to play for Millwall (Division 2, I think??), and TNP reporters got all excited, went over and asked them what they thought of Edwards, who played for S'pore in the M-League, coming out as Golden Boot winner (I think twice in a row?). Their response was something along the lines of "We don't know much about him. We bought him because he was cheap."

:p

Erm..... at that time i think the rule not yet establish and Millwall is not even in EPL. EPL started in 1993. But yes the English FA do bend the rules. Dwight Yorke played for Villa and Man Utd is a national player for Trinidad and Tobago and i dun think they're a high ranking nation.

Another case is Boro's Juninho. He did not play 75% of Brazil's matches but was given a work permit because of his talent and skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.