Status
Not open for further replies.

fatjp

Apr 19, 2005
Khatib
fatjp.livejournal.com
Seem like a lot of question how how to this and how to that

I sometime will forget the rule of thumb due to excitment or nervious

Would like to make a hand held guide on flash card for me to carry around and to remind myself of common mistake and simple rules to follow.
Hope that everyone can help me add in your experience.

1) Never go below 1/8 (except panning)
exceptions
a) nite but need tripod
b)............
2) if white back ground +1/3 or +2/3
exceptions
a).......
3) remmeber to wait for the flash to charge up before snap
4) if black background .......???
5)
6)

help me to continue pls.

NOt expert, but common rule-of-thumb is 1/focal length, that means if you use 50mm, then its 1/50 secs, if 300mm, 1/300 secs. I read somewhere one. I normally just whack then say:D

fatjp said:
I sometime will forget the rule of thumb due to excitment or nervious

I would suggest not memorizing and relying on rules, but understanding the basics. From that, most things follow naturally.

The problem with following rules of thumb is that they're not nearly universal. If applied without some tought, they may hurt more than they help. And once one starts thinking, there's not much of a need for rules of thumb anymore.

Would like to make a hand held guide on flash card for me to carry around and to remind myself of common mistake and simple rules to follow.

A frequent problem I encounter in Singapore is that people are focused on rules and standard operating procedures. Over this, they tend to lose the problem to be solved out of sight. I would suggest not to fall into this trap.

LittleWolf said:
I would suggest not memorizing and relying on rules, but understanding the basics. From that, most things follow naturally.

The problem with following rules of thumb is that they're not nearly universal. If applied without some tought, they may hurt more than they help. And once one starts thinking, there's not much of a need for rules of thumb anymore.
I agree, and with digital camera.... you can always re-take with other settings.

If one wants to really remember or refer to rules as and when they go shooting, here's a little tip I got from another website: Use your digital camera to take a photo of the rules and store it permanently in the memory card of the digital camera!! In that way, you can always refer to it whenever you are taking pictures!!

Hitman said:
Use your digital camera to take a photo of the rules and store it permanently in the memory card of the digital camera!! In that way, you can always refer to it whenever you are taking pictures!!

That's a great suggestion. Just remember not to format the memory card.

Status
Not open for further replies.