Hair line crack on my lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbl2681

Feb 25, 2006
Oh no....I just knock my Nikon D80kit lens on the ground then there is now a hair line crack seen from the viewfinder. Then I took a few shots but don't see any visible lines on the photos whether is it zoomed in or not. I don't have time to send it to NSC for repair as I will be flying off to Africa tonight. What can I do? In normal circumstances, how will the photo turn out to be if there is a hair line crack on the lens? Is the lens still usable?

Oh no....I just knock my Nikon D80kit lens on the ground then there is now a hair line crack seen from the viewfinder. Then I took a few shots but don't see any visible lines on the photos whether is it zoomed in or not. I don't have time to send it to NSC for repair as I will be flying off to Africa tonight. What can I do? In normal circumstances, how will the photo turn out to be if there is a hair line crack on the lens? Is the lens still usable?

hmm
if you cant see the lines on the photo,i suggest u use it for the time being since you have no other choice anyway
and send it for repair when you get back

By the way, it was the front portion of the lens that suffered the impact from about 10cm height. There was no unusual noise from the lens itself.

Can you actually see a crack on the lens when you physically look at it? It is possible, while only remotely, that you have cracked the mirror. In that case you would see a crack in the viewfinder, but nothing in your photos... maybe you can check by carefully examining the open body under a bright light.

By the way, it was the front portion of the lens that suffered the impact from about 10cm height. There was no unusual noise from the lens itself.

:think: 10cm!! usual lens diameter oni 77mm or 82mm..10cm = 100mm..:bsmilie:*Joking*

Edit: Sorry never see ur post properly..so its a impact from 10cm height not a crack of 10 cm..:bsmilie:

My suggestion is send the lens for a quote on replacment for the crack glass..if u find it comfortable can maybe repair it..else carry on shooting since its not affecting ur shots..but have u try shooting at smaller aperture size like f16 and above to see whether the crack is visible on the pics..

Try shooting at different F-stops, see if the crack appears..
If no cracks are seen on your pics, most prob the crack is on either the focussing screen or mirror.. If you dismount the lens and peek into the chamber, you should be able to check on both screen and mirror..

OT: hope you got a REAL wide angle lens if your planning to go up Table Mountain in S.Africa..
Very shiok view from the top.. and bring a polariser.. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.