Haggling at stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

canalrat

Nov 30, 2008
Are shops likely to offer a better price if you try to bargain with them? I intend to get a lens soon but I'm afraid I may get ripped off seeing that I'm just a puny little girl. Is there any way to not get ripped off at such stores ?

Hi, welcome to CS :) Do your homework & do some searches in the forum pages & see what's the going price for the lens you are looking at. Read abt the reputable stores/shops CSers patronise. Or get a friend who's familiar in buying such equipments to help you ;)

I've called up a few shops to check on the prices already and they more or less all quote the same price. Are they likely to charge a lower price than the one quoted over the phone when haggling at the store directly ?

Just visit the more reputable stores and look at the price list in the price list section.

The price guide should give you a rough idea of the prices to expect. However, do not expect the retailer to charge you the same price. Price guide should only give you some idea of the pricing of the prices.

Perhaps if you have friends, ask them to come along.

Enjoy your camera hunt~

Typically no harm in bargaining if you have already done the research and know the price of the lens that you're looking at. As madmartian said, look for reputable shops. In general most of the shops will give in a little bit and charge you extra on accessories like filters etc. Watch out for it..

ok thanks !

Are shops likely to offer a better price if you try to bargain with them? I intend to get a lens soon but I'm afraid I may get ripped off seeing that I'm just a puny little girl. Is there any way to not get ripped off at such stores ?
Well, I found out the best way not to bargain is to get eQuotes from the stores. Send out requests to a few stores and you will be able to just pick the lowest one. Normally they will quote their best price this way. But do note that the eQuote is usually on cash term.

get someone who knows about the equipments to accompany you. Other then being ripped off, u also need to worry about other unethical tactics used by blacklisted shops.

do shops charge lesser if pay by cash terms ?

do shops charge lesser if pay by cash terms ?
Yes, that is usually the case but when you are there in front of the salesman and he has already gave you the price, he might incline not to reduce the price even if you ask for a discount if you pay cash. Better to get the cash price from the eQuote, print it out and bring it with you so there is no argument.

since u are a puny gal..

use yr girly charms on those ah beng sales guys..i am sure they will just melt in yr hands..

any price they will sell u. ;p:bsmilie:

Get a macho male friend with a Canon 1 series or Nikon D3 series camera to follow you.

Seriously, when salespeople see these big guns, they know that your friend 'just KNOWS' and will think twice before trying to pull a fast one, or sell you some crappy $10 filter for $100.

Alternatively, just get a knowledgeable friend to tag along.

Merry Christmas!

Get a macho male friend with a Canon 1 series or Nikon D3 series camera to follow you.

Or they could see that you have money and try to rip you off.:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.