GST damn expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinlg

Jun 21, 2004
5% of any camera/lens can be quite significant ;~(

sulk.. i guess i'm just ranting...

Anyone know which shop quote with GST inclusive for Canon products?

It is true. 5% adds up quite a lot. Recently bought the 70-200 2.8 IS and 5% of it, is abt $150...

be happy that singapore's gst is among the lowest in the world :D

I think UK is lagi higher, at 17.5%?

Yah, I live in Australia and pay 10% GST. On top of this, I pay the top marginal income tax rate of 47%, and have all sorts of other taxes that you Singaporeans don't have to worry about. To make things worse, photographic equipment costs much more here!

The good thing is that cars and houses are so much cheaper here so I could buy a Porsche for Corolla money and live next to the river for what you guys pay for a HDB flat ;)

Amfibius said:
Yah, I live in Australia and pay 10% GST. On top of this, I pay the top marginal income tax rate of 47%, and have all sorts of other taxes that you Singaporeans don't have to worry about. To make things worse, photographic equipment costs much more here!

The good thing is that cars and houses are so much cheaper here so I could buy a Porsche for Corolla money and live next to the river for what you guys pay for a HDB flat ;)

Agreed with u. :D So there's no perfect country.

jumbocrab said:
I think UK is lagi higher, at 17.5%?

Yes, you are correct. 17.5% can die! :confused: Singapore isn't bad by comparison already. I was slapped with a 70 pounds charge (import duty + VAT) on a lens I bought through the internet from the States once and I was luckily able to escape a 100+ pounds charge on a camera purchase another time.

Its a matter of time before Singapore's GST meet western standard. Every where you go, you need to pay and pay (***) .

in those countries with high taxes and GST, there usually come with some form of social benefit.... so end of day its like a means for the government to help and redistribute income, mainly from middle income to lower income..... ,
what I am afraid is for our country, the taxes (both direct and indirect) increases and social benefit/welfare decreases..... then life will be miserable....

For me I am complaining on GST pertaining to child related expenses....
for equipment its once off so dun feel the pinch its the recurrent one that hurts....
examples
Child care $17.5 per month....
Milk Powder $10.00
Diapers $10.00
Other Child related product ard $20.00
Total abt $60.00 per month, these excludes GST on utilites, H/P Telecom, insurance, and others...... :(
(hmm.. if they could exclude at least GST on the child related one, that would be great........, dreaming of some wonderful package to be announce in relation to the procreation plan......)

Children products (clothes, etc) are exempted from VAT in the UK. Not sure if I'm correct, but I think daily necessities like rice isn't subjected to GST? (feel free to correct, cos I'm not too sure if I'm correct..) :embrass:

Status
Not open for further replies.