GRD IV is now $499!! or less

Can I just check with you guys.... What makes you attracted to the GRD IV? I see many positive responses here and decide to check this cam out.

This is not a wet blanket thingy but really innocent questions.... Cos I checked the specs and it has no zoom, not exactly the widest aperture available at f/1.9 (many zoom compacts can match this or even better), and it's sensor size is the same as many mid-level compacts. And also, it's not exactly a slim camera.

Was surprised at the very high initial release price!

Is it because the image the GRD IV can produce is better compared to other digicams?

hi andeq,

it's a niche camera. unlike other big boys like c & n.
it's very subjective. end of the day, it's the connection between u and the cam.
grd 1 was my very first serious digital cam and i had, grd 3 and gxr along the way.
sold them all and got a x100. though the x100 is a very good cam, i knew something is missing with other non ricoh cams. i missed the ricoh's UI and it's relative small size.
played with other brands but somehow, can't get past the experience i had with grd.
with this px drop, i chanced upon it to get reacquainted with grd again, and boy do i missed it.
the lens is awesome and it's really feels like an extension of ur body and vision.
u see something, compose it in ur tots, whip out the cam, and viola! memory forever frozen in time.

andreq,

and it's highly customisable.
spend some time to set it up initially and you'll be all set.

Can I just check with you guys.... What makes you attracted to the GRD IV? I see many positive responses here and decide to check this cam out.

This is not a wet blanket thingy but really innocent questions.... Cos I checked the specs and it has no zoom, not exactly the widest aperture available at f/1.9 (many zoom compacts can match this or even better), and it's sensor size is the same as many mid-level compacts. And also, it's not exactly a slim camera.

Is it because the image the GRD IV can produce is better compared to other digicams?

thanks silvermoon for your very detailed explanation.

Yes, I was also thinking of the Canon S series challenging the GRD4. Cos the Canon's widest focal length is now 24mm (those who love very wide angles will see this as a + point), the older model was 28mm, similar to the GRD4. Aperture is about the same at f/2. Even though the zoom tele end may be slow, at least there is the zoom option. And it's slimmer than the GRD4.

I'm not sure if fixed focal length compacts are sharper because the lens used is a prime but you may have a point.

Ok I see your point also about the flash hotshoe.... Btw, does it have to be a Ricoh flash?

I'm not a GR user, but as someone who dabbles in street/candid/people photography, I can relate to the philosophy of the camera.

Some info here on the official Ricoh/Pentax page on the idea/philosophy of the GR cameras.
GR | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

Also, the nice one done by Red Dawn from a user perspective.
One Guy’s Thoughts: The New Ricoh GR |

I like how Ricoh summarizes what they think when designing the camera :
"We don’t compete in a numbers game using catalog specs
“The World’s Best” is a naive temptation for manufacturers. However, we believe that in itself is meaningless. We know that it details which cannot be expressed by specifications are important.

We don’t include functions just because they are popular
We don’t chase easy trends. “Is this right for the GR?” This is the only standard we base decisions on, always asking this question because we want to create new value.

We won’t use a design simply to stand out
Only a form that fits the function, and designs that will stand the test of time as a camera will remain. We aim for design that cannot be noticed, design that feels as if it has always been there.

We won’t produce simple model changes
The most important thing is how long the camera will be used. For us, each and every person who buys a GR will always be important.

Never lose the ability to challenge or make a proposal
The only camera that can beat a GR is another GR. We want to always continue trying out new plans and proposals. Always exceed users’ expectations. We believe that is the GR’s role.
"

Wow! I am itching to buy, workplace is within 3 km and 5 minutes by bus to Funan!

lol i wonder who poisoned you :bsmilie:

i think you are either a hardcore fan of the GR series or totally not a fan at all.

the one feature that sets the GRD apart from all other cameras is the snap focus function. i think i use it for at least 80% of all my shots.

wanted the GRD4 for a long time but i agree the initial release price was really very high, so i kept waiting for opportunity to buy at a good price lol. the current promo at $390 is really very good. i got mine at a slight higher price of $429 before the new promo price and i still think it was a great deal :)

thanks silvermoon for your very detailed explanation.

Yes, I was also thinking of the Canon S series challenging the GRD4. Cos the Canon's widest focal length is now 24mm (those who love very wide angles will see this as a + point), the older model was 28mm, similar to the GRD4. Aperture is about the same at f/2. Even though the zoom tele end may be slow, at least there is the zoom option. And it's slimmer than the GRD4.

I'm not sure if fixed focal length compacts are sharper because the lens used is a prime but you may have a point.

Ok I see your point also about the flash hotshoe.... Btw, does it have to be a Ricoh flash?

Like any camera with hotshoe, u can either use the same brand flash for auto functions like ttl, or any other brand flash and do it strobist style I.e. full manual.

I wonder how it compares to GR ... Apsc vs 1/1.7 ... 2.8 vs 1.9... IS vs no IS ... Hybrid AF vs contrast AF

definitely apsc wins in dr and high iso.
but due to bigger sensor, i wonder if snap function focusing will be more critical.
the advantage of grd 4 is bigger dof and i cm macro.
i plan to get the gr too when it's available even though i just bought a grd 4.
actually, i wanna get a spare battery and charger for my future gr.
they just throw in the grd 4 together with it ;p

Just fell victim to the iv haha

I'm not a GR user, but as someone who dabbles in street/candid/people photography, I can relate to the philosophy of the camera.

I took the GR out for a spin today, took 768 photos (all in JPG) with one battery! It's really a joy to use and hold, the compact size and easy of use really got me. Here are just a few of what I got today. Will post a lot more under Michael's review thread when I'm done selecting the photos:

GR021768_s.jpg

GR021873_s.jpg

GR021952_s.jpg

GR022080_s.jpg

GR022111_s.jpg

Last edited:
great! the gr is next?
i can see both the small and big sensor gr coexist ;p

There is zoom function but decrease the quality. Macro is awesome.

ya definitely i'll.
wife can inherit the grd 4 ;p
she always complained that she is like a karung guni lady... getting all the used goods
haa....

The other advantage the 4 have over the 5 is probably cost. Probably gonna wait til the FF GRD comes out before we can get the GR V at current grd iv prices...