graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dun think need to change...

BTW, you did set your PS/LR scratch disk to a non-OS disk right?

yes i did.that HDD serves NO other purpose other than being a scratch disk for CS3.
LR needs no scratchdisk.

Get this. .

index_tower_20070313.png

specs_top20060807.jpg

You will never look back. . ;)

pardon my ignorance cos from the way splut explained just now, i thought 1 crash all gone.

so, any of the shops can setup raid?
what's needed?more HDD?or what?

i'm going crazy...really.

haiz... i think you go storage studio... they are quite pro in this aspect...

and just in case, just buy a whole new system...

she is? should we prepare cameras instead of tech talk?

to me this is sexual harrasment.

please either teach me what's relevant, or dont deviate into such nonsense.

thanks

pardon my ignorance cos from the way splut explained just now, i thought 1 crash all gone.

so, any of the shops can setup raid?
what's needed?more HDD?or what?

i'm going crazy...really.

RAID got different types, basic useful ones for you

RAID 0 (stripping)
2 or more hdd, each hdd contains a part of the file, so when you load data you load from multiple hdds, so access speed increases.

RAID 1 (Mirroring)
2 or more hdd, each hdd contains an identical copy.
100% redundancy, don't need to rebuild data in case of crash.
2x500g gets you 500gb storage only

RAID 0+1 (mirror + stripping)
combine the 2
Not recommended. 1 hdd failure gets you similar to RAID level 0 array.

RAID 10
Best, and the most expensive around. Requires at least 4 similar HDDs
Can aford 2 hdd failures with no data loss.
1/2 the data storage you put in

buy HP system

to me this is sexual harrasment.

please either teach me what's relevant, or dont deviate into such nonsense.

thanks

-.-" was just joking.
anyway if you want to bring to the shops, make sure you know what you want them to set up for you.
RAID 10 is highly recommended, RAID0 + 1 to be avoided

If money no object, 4 groups of 4 hdd would yield you superb performace: data is stripped across 4 groups, each group has 4 mirrors (i.e. chance of total data loss = 4 hdds from the same group dying at the same time)
If only 1 or 2 or 3 dies from the same group, you won't notice ANY performance hit at all.
If you're v lucky, you can have up to 12 hdds simultaneously crashing and you still won't suffer a performance hit.

And if you're using SCSI, your system will fly along like magic.

-.-" was just joking.
anyway if you want to bring to the shops, make sure you know what you want them to set up for you.
RAID 10 is highly recommended, RAID0 + 1 to be avoided

If money no object, 4 groups of 4 hdd would yield you superb performace: data is stripped across 4 groups, each group has 4 mirrors (i.e. chance of total data loss = 4 hdds from the same group dying at the same time)
If only 1 or 2 or 3 dies from the same group, you won't notice ANY performance hit at all.
If you're v lucky, you can have up to 12 hdds simultaneously crashing and you still won't suffer a performance hit.

And if you're using SCSI, your system will fly along like magic.

U talking about tis?

Adaptec RAID 31605

High-performance and most advanced PCIe connectivity and data protection for SATA and SAS disk drives

16-port Unified Serial PCI Express (PCIe) controller supporting RAID 0, 1, 1E, 5, 5EE, 6, 10, 50, 60, Copyback Hot Spare, and optional Snapshot Backup for mid-range to enterprise servers and workstations

Highlights
16 ports support up to 16 SATA and SAS drives
PCIe host interface
3 Gb/s per port
RAID levels 0, 1,1E, 5, 5EE, 6, 10, 50, 60, JBOD
Copyback Hot Spare and optional Snapshot Backup
LED header for drive activity and failure indication
SES2 and SGPIO enclosure management
256MB DDR2 fixed data cache
RoHS compliant
Optional battery backup module

jeanie, since LR never let you choose scratch disk, it should be following window's default scratchdisk.

Try doing this :

Go Control Panel->System->Advanced->Performance Settings->Advanced->Virtual Memory
There you can specify where the scratch disk and capacity is. Maybe you can disable scratch on C: and manually allocate elsewhere.

well... u can always pay consultation fees to the DCnA Consultation Services...

if u wanna optimize your system, just let me know, i will always know how to spend your money... :devil:

Got Ortegandalf Disposal Services, also got DCnA Consultation..

Clubsnap really got a lot of talent! :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

RAID is good. RAID is your friend. I have been on RAID0 for years. Does it increase your chance of HDD failure? YES! To be precise, it is 2x as likely to fail. But the increase in speed is worth it.

Ideally, you have 2 RAID arrays running. A RAID0 array for OS, programs and scratching, and a RAID1 array for storage. But that would be expensive.

no, graphics card will not improve your colour/photoshop or lightroom performance...

unless you get really incredibly expensive graphics cards, you will not be able to play games at your 30" screen's resolution, so try playing at lower resolution...

and no, I don't believe workstation graphics cards like was mentioned earlier in the thread will help in either photoshop/lightroom or games playing so forget about those...

as for RAID and scratch disks, is your photoshop lagging? if not, forget about RAID as well... just having a seperate scratch for your photoshop should be good enough... in any case for those who want more speed, there are faster options than even scsi RAID

for storage, you can get an external storage station like from buffalo from Storage Studio (SimLim #04-2B/28/29), where the hard drives are not within your computer tower, reason being it depends on its own power supply so power failure of your computer power supply would not affect it, it will not heat up your computer cause hardisks can run pretty hot, and also it has its own hardware RAID processor so it would not take up too much of your systems resources... a simply storage system you would not need to build, just plug and play on your system... and touch wood if there is failure, just go to the buffalo cervice centre at Riverwalk and they would do recovery for you... great service there...

by the way, stripping means the process like in RAID 0, amongst others, where data is split into at least 2 and written onto seperate hardisks so that writing of data to disk is faster...

this thread is about computer components with respect mainly to photoshop (and gaming as well, granted)... shouldn't it be in digital darkroom rather than kopitiam?...

Status
Not open for further replies.