Graduates pay

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think 4% increment per year is considered VERY BAD. how can be considered good???

especially in your initial years. If you settle for 4%.... it takes VERY long to climb. In your later years, it is more acceptable but still low I think.

You might want to take reference from the National Wage Council Recommendation.
I am taking reference from there. There are companies who took reference from it as a general guildline for their employee's annual increment.

You might be the lucky one who enjoy higher increment rate, but do bear in mind, not everyone is as lucky as you. ;)

Last but not least, there are also companies which practice low increment but fatter bonuses.

yes it does.. though I never knew doctors and 'accounts' get paid only with snacks and dinner if time permits.

Everyone is giving their 2cents worth.
Reminds me of a story about a few blind men touching different parts an elephant and describing how an elephant is supposed to look like. Amongst them, some never touched the elephant and just chipped in to describe the elephant anyway.

buang, if u try interpreting the original post " paid only dinner" means that for the work from 5am to 12am, the only meals that are paid is for dinner with some light snacks. He was contrasting between good pay with LONG hours, no staff benefits etc; do u want such a job?

Anyway, the whole point of a forum is to share your views and opinion despite whether u have "touched" that elephant or not. After all, if all the men are blind, who can fault the description of the men who has not touched but commented on how the elephant looked like?
Let others judge the description but do not mock at the blind men who comment for the mocker could be the real mockery. Savvy?

get back to the topic guys... talking about grad pay not bonuses here.. haha!

buang, if u try interpreting the original post " paid only dinner" means that for the work from 5am to 12am, the only meals that are paid is for dinner with some light snacks. He was contrasting between good pay with LONG hours, no staff benefits etc; do u want such a job?

Anyway, the whole point of a forum is to share your views and opinion despite whether u have "touched" that elephant or not. After all, if all the men are blind, who can fault the description of the men who has not touched but commented on how the elephant looked like?
Let others judge the description but do not mock at the blind men who comment for the mocker could be the real mockery. Savvy?
bang, you might want to refer to JillValentine
I think many amatuer wedding photographers are willing to do this to build up their portfolio! :bsmilie:
Not sure how you came up with info that relates to "only meals are paid". I had just plainly stated that the only pay was dinner if time permits.

English lessons aside, I wasn't mocking anyone so don't need to be so defensive. I do agree that the forum is to share views and I don't force my views on anyone, we just have to agree to disagree like I did in post #35.

I get the impression some in here have this mentality that their HR or superiors are mind readers and wait for things to happen because of the telepathy link they have with their bosses/HR, I on the other hand don't have such abilities and rather make things happen by talking to them (the old fashion way)..

Or is it that the market trend is for fresh grads to expect high pay and easy work these days?

I get the impression some in here have this mentality that their HR or superiors are mind readers and wait for things to happen because of the telepathy link they have with their bosses/HR, I on the other hand don't have such abilities and rather make things happen by talking to them (the old fashion way)..

Or is it that the market trend is for fresh grads to expect high pay and easy work these days?

Just my 2 cents, sometimes, by talking to HR, it can only reflect on the issue concern.
However, if this is the HR policies/culture of the company, nothing much will happen.
As mentioned, changes can only take place when Top/Senior management is willing to commit. It has to be DRIVEN by them.

Last but not least, when a particular culture is in place, do you think the Top/Senior management will easily change this said culture?
In general, CHANGE only take place if the surrounding environments forced them to change. So when the local HR policies remains, such as willing to pay higher $ for fresh grad as compared to allowing greater market adjustment for their experience staff, things will remain the same.

Just my 2 cents, sometimes, by talking to HR, it can only reflect on the issue concern.
However, if this is the HR policies/culture of the company, nothing much will happen.
As mentioned, changes can only take place when Top/Senior management is willing to commit. It has to be DRIVEN by them.

Last but not least, when a particular culture is in place, do you think the Top/Senior management will easily change this said culture?
In general, CHANGE only take place if the surrounding environments forced them to change. So when the local HR policies remains, such as willing to pay higher $ for fresh grad as compared to allowing greater market adjustment for their experience staff, things will remain the same.

you have a valid point there, but then again if you don't try, you'll never know.

I know many people will not even bother to try and have never asked HR out for lunch/tea for a 'chat' and just assume it'll never work or it is useless because "________________" (fit reason in blank space) does it sound familiar to anyone reading this? :think:

It really depends on the industry. The range I've seen so far is 1.8K to 15k for fresh grads (working locally). Banking will usually pay more. Front office gets more than back office. Auditors to me are the worst paid, per hours of work done.

Some figures now, though I will not reveal exact company name.

Foreign Investment Bank for back office ~ around 3.5+k
for front office ~4+k

Local banks - minus 1k to these (or more)

Auditors ~2.2-2.5k

Local companies ~ 1.8k-2.2k (usually) (non banking)(logistic, sales, retail)

Foreign companies ~ 2.2-3k

Govt ~ 3k (minus $200 for non singaporean).

Then you cannot always compared from company to company, even in the same industry. Some of them have programmes for thier graduates, some have assignment overseas.

A company will usually pay more to get a new hire than to retain a current employee.

not really.... actually nothing is set in stone.

People say prospective employers will ask for your former pay and just give you 10-15% more. I don't think so. I have heard people with 40% pay jump or 30% pay jump.

I really do think the company will pay more if they think you are good. They are not just competing with your old company but rather with all the new companies you are getting offers from.

People say prospective employers will ask for your former pay and just give you 10-15% more. I don't think so. I have heard people with 40% pay jump or 30% pay jump.

I really do think the company will pay more if they think you are good. They are not just competing with your old company but rather with all the new companies you are getting offers from.

Am I correct to say that those that ask for 30- 40% pay jump must be going into the sales line? Let's say, you previously got a very low pay from x industry and you want to go back to y industry where you have more working experience. For your new pay, can you base your estimate new pay on your last drawn pay at y industry?

It really depends on the industry. The range I've seen so far is 1.8K to 15k for fresh grads (working locally). Banking will usually pay more. Front office gets more than back office. Auditors to me are the worst paid, per hours of work done.

Some figures now, though I will not reveal exact company name.

Foreign Investment Bank for back office ~ around 3.5+k
for front office ~4+k

Local banks - minus 1k to these (or more)

Auditors ~2.2-2.5k

Local companies ~ 1.8k-2.2k (usually) (non banking)(logistic, sales, retail)

Foreign companies ~ 2.2-3k

Govt ~ 3k (minus $200 for non singaporean).

Then you cannot always compared from company to company, even in the same industry. Some of them have programmes for thier graduates, some have assignment overseas.

A company will usually pay more to get a new hire than to retain a current employee.

Very helpful information. Thanks.:)

Interesting! So where you got this information from?

those who quit in the company i'm working always said they've more than 30% pay jump and some said they get 50% pay jump! I don't really believe and wonder is it true or not! :think:

those who quit in the company i'm working always said they've more than 30% pay jump and some said they get 50% pay jump! I don't really believe and wonder is it true or not! :think:

If they are not highly paid, 30-50% jump is normal right?

Just heard from someone that the education industry only pays $2,000 regardless whether you are a fresh graduate or someone who has been in the workforce for a couple of years. Anyone has similar experiences?

Just heard from someone that the education industry only pays $2,000 regardless whether you are a fresh graduate or someone who has been in the workforce for a couple of years. Anyone has similar experiences?

Sure or not ... I know for a fact that those mid-career ones who switched to teaching are very likely to get pay review, meaning they won't start @ entry level ...

Status
Not open for further replies.