GR Digital II announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think much has been said about the GR2D. You really have to shoot it to know. The on paper specs doesn't tells u the image quality. I will say probably the most color accurate, sharpest P&S i have ever use.

Can anyone tell me what so gd abt GRDII? Becuz I compare the specification, It's not as gd as panasonic LX3. Why is it selling at those stunning prices? S$1200 (Sold recently at Harvey Norman - JP) and LX3, near to S$700.
S$1200 can buy a DSLR, but the sensor is juz 1/1.7" (correct me if i'm wrong), and not even a 4/3 size.
So other then the size compare to entry-level DSLR... I see no pro side of this GRDII.

Erm, the same reason why a Rolls Royce can cost so much more compared to a Toyota?

(exaggeration, but you get the idea...)

Can anyone tell me what so gd abt GRDII? Becuz I compare the specification, It's not as gd as panasonic LX3. Why is it selling at those stunning prices? S$1200 (Sold recently at Harvey Norman - JP) and LX3, near to S$700.
S$1200 can buy a DSLR, but the sensor is juz 1/1.7" (correct me if i'm wrong), and not even a 4/3 size.
So other then the size compare to entry-level DSLR... I see no pro side of this GRDII.

I can't help but get very defensive towards grd when people don't see the beauty of it. (haha not that i own one and want to justify the purchase myself!)

i agree with the car comparison. a car's price canot be justify by just looking at the brochure or a media ad. You don't see people just buy a car without test driving it right?

same for a camera. you don't just buy a camera because ur friend.. or friend's friend say its good. you go to a shop and test it out before you buy it. for some people, even after testing, it doesnt seems good enuff for them, like i said before... grd is just not their cup of tea.

so far... i dun have a single friend who owns a grd regret getting it... LX-3 is a good camera, no deny. but if you did do ur research well, reviews have votes towards grd. you dun just go for lumix for it's Leica lens. i love grd's everything. from the noise to the colors, to the iso control, to the macro, to the dof, to the accessories, to the outlook... how can anyone not love grd?

i have a dslr... and i have a grd. the reason why i got both bcoz they serve me right at different occasion. of coz u cant compare dslr with grd but grd is a good compact replacement for dslr. u can't shoot professionally with a grd, and you won't want to lug a dslr to go for a normal friends gathering.

seeing is believing (again!). once you have used grd... there is no turning back... unless there is a better camera that comes along.

what is it?:dunno: I'm juz curious to know cuz my M'sian friend, who came back frm Taiwan studying, keep asking for GRDII. But she din mention abt the gd pt also... But i know Taiwanese r into Ricoh

basically,

Ricoh GR series, is a cult camera worldwide, especially in Japan & Taiwan.

with plenty of followers. (*many of us here are one of them. lolx :))

its not a mainstream camera, only for those who appreciates it.

the GR Digital II is the latest model of all. (*pls do not mix with the GX series, its different.)

as i mentioned in page 19 of this thread:

"GR-D is not everyone's cup of tea.

normally, people who get GR-D are people who already know what they wants."

it gives u the joy of having a great 28mm wide angle digital camera at a fixed focal length.

the feeling of using the prime lens.

thats if u appreciate prime lens that is.

giving u one of the most accurate natural colours, even when compared among dslrs.

don't believe?

compare GR-D side by side against the camera that u have, or just any other camera that the shop have.

its macro is also its star point as well, great macro.

(*talking about panasonic LX3? compare it to Leica D-Lux 4.)

thats more on par.

in terms on pricing & quality?

just that, only by comparing it urself (*hands on), den u will know which u prefer, and whether it justify the price u r willing to pay.

then.. do u shoot film?

GR-D grains are actually much more film like.

even though i have other SLRs & DSLR, GR-D II is the one i bring around daily.

even when i brought my SLR or DSLR, its still in my pocket.

comparing specs on paper or online?

there r so many *expert comparers* online nowadays, they could even give u comment or advise on different products, even without actually touching them or really using them.

how great is that?

eg. sensor size against sensor size, difference by millimeters or even micrometers??

by that u know the difference in make?? in how the photo will look? or what it actually does?

specs are specs, its just a reference.

photos still depends more on the photographer.

so many cameras in the market now, high mega pixels, hyper zooms, water resistant & etc.

know what u want is the most important thing, then pay for it if u r willing.

then its money well spent. :cool:

DSCF5948.jpg

enjoying shooting, fellow gentlemen & ladies who proudly owns a GR Digital I & II.

Cheers! :)

Last edited:
i,ve had my reservation about this camera initially due to the cost as well...but after getting my hands on it, i cant resist it...and then when i started getting used to the camera..i got no regrets buying it...its just "amazing".....i even sold away my dslr thinking it was too much of a hassle to lug ard....haha

Just wondering how many GRD I and II owners actually do find the optical viewfinder GV-1 useful?
I will be getting a 2nd hand GRD I with wide angle lens and adapter, but getting a GV-1 would cost as much (i.e. given that price is still the same at 198sgd). Or would a Voigtlander 28mm VF be better at some cost savings?

TIA.

Hi everyone,

I have just gotten the GRD2 for $1099 with some standard freebies from MS.

For the free lens that I am about to recieve, I would like to check if the wide lens or tele lens is a better deal and would have more usage?

Thanks!

It really depends on what you need. For me I use the tele convertor attachment lens to give me a 40mm coverage. Its quite well built but you have to be careful of flaring in some situations as the magnifying element is quite huge.

Pardon my amateur questions, but in layman terms, the wide angles lens gives a larger and more coverage at the same distance while the tele converter is basically a zoom lens right?

How much zoom does the tele converter has? Or is it adjustable?

Thanks!

Pardon my amateur questions, but in layman terms, the wide angles lens gives a larger and more coverage at the same distance while the tele converter is basically a zoom lens right?

Yes.

How much zoom does the tele converter has? Or is it adjustable?

40mm (35mm equiv.), fixed.

A few shots from the CNY Flowers...

3237269450_61bbc1df0d.jpg

3236395865_5e89b720e7.jpg

3236391873_a8b55a822e.jpg

3237223118_5318a20823.jpg

Last edited:
The GRD2 really does great macro.. I'm thinking of selling mine cus I've less time to shoot these days but the camera is such a gem...

its been pretty quiet here recently....

A few shots from a cigar bar...

3441461147_a128d51d57_m.jpg

3442273696_6fd3a88b79_m.jpg

3441425593_2f0d3d86d1_m.jpg

3441417681_be5a7297bd_m.jpg

3442235986_040c6398a1_m.jpg

Just bought a GRD II from CS buy/sell corner !!

I'm very proud to be a GRD II user, it really has its magic that allows the user to fell in love with it totally!! I simply love the macro function and the contrast of BNW~~!

Just bought a GRD II from CS buy/sell corner !!

I'm very proud to be a GRD II user, it really has its magic that allows the user to fell in love with it totally!! I simply love the macro function and the contrast of BNW~~!

Hi iloveEG,

welcome:)

seems like you got a couple of nice cameras too.

*eyes Fuji Natura Classica* :eek:

hahahah, it's really tempting to get on hands those good cameras, have not really fully utilise each of them..=/

You've got really nice cameras too!!
*eyes on FM2N*

(my GRD II wears the blue ring too!!)

hey guys, i feel like getting a GRD 2. may i know where's a good place to look (in terms of service and price)? Anyone? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.