good enough for friends wedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC macro and 580EX Mk II? Am thinking of getting a battery grip as well cause even on normal shooting days shooting at nothing particular,i'd rattle off 600+ shots.

Am using 30D so any comments? Cheers

A very basic rules for all non-pro photographers : if you want to keep your friends, refuse to make their wedding photographs.

Wedding photographer is a job, it's not enough to be a good photographer, there are a lot of traps everywhere and if it's the first time you do it, you'll fall in each of them. Let this to pro people and keep your friends.

lol..your setup is good enough. just go shoot with what you have and have a good time. :bsmilie:

18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC macro and 580EX Mk II? Am thinking of getting a battery grip as well cause even on normal shooting days shooting at nothing particular,i'd rattle off 600+ shots.

Am using 30D so any comments? Cheers

If you had to ask if your gear is good enough, I'd suggest you don't take up the job at all. You're not ready for it. Friend can become foe if you don't deliver.

Duinchlfc's not obligated to deliver anything as there is apparently a main (assumed) photographer, going by his comments in #27.

Since he's just shooting for the fun of it, who knows, because he's not under professional pressures, he might actually get some very interesting shots?

Other then what you have, you should consider bring along a http://store.garyfonginc.com/liiido.html or a Sto-fen omni bounce http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sto-Fen-Omnibounce.aspx. A longer Lens of up to 70mm or 105mm to get those intimate shots without getting too close to the couple/family/friends and making them feel uneasy :lovegrin: Althought that might need you to have 2 separate lens. There are some thread on this topic, you can go and find out what is the pros and cons of the various setup, and what are the effects that you want to achieve in your pictures.

I have done a few wedding as a back up photographer for friends way back during the "film days" and I have learned a few lessons:

1) Plan - Be familiar with the type of ceremony that you are going to take. etc Tea ceremony, Church Wedding, Dinner Reception....

2) Anticipate - whats coming next (that have to come with attending enough wedding though)

3) Positioning - Position yourself to avoid running around in the crowded environment and still missing the shot.

One of the objective of taking wedding photo is to document the proceeding of the ceremony. There will be a many "standard" and must take shot that you must take so don't miss those :sweat:

The others will be taking those candies and intimate moment pictures of the couple, family and friends.

Lastly not forgetting those creative shots of those things use during the wedding. etc Rings,Tea Set, Shoe, wedding Gown, accessories......

For me as a backup, I concentrate on those "behind the scene" shots that the pro will be too busy to take. At the same time grab a few "must take" and creative shots whenever possible to up my experience lever :bsmilie:

Frankly speaking, it is not going to be an easy job as without good planning and experience you will be lost as to what is going to happen and end up always one step behind the proceedings. The pictures that you end up with will not fully document the ceremony, it will not tell the story of the wedding and it is not going to serve as a lasting memory of the wedding.

If you really have to do it alone make sure your friend knows it and you got to really plan to have an ideal of what shots to take before hand. Look at some portfolios to get a better idea :sweat: Some call it copy and I prefer to take it as a learning process.

Everyone has to take the 1st step, be as well prepared as possible to reduce the learning curve. Have fun though

Status
Not open for further replies.