Going Europe

How about 17-55mm F2.8? S$1,545 at alan photo SLS. :thumbsup:

I believe TS is looking for a lens that will enable him to zoom in further than his existing 18-55. I don't think a 17-55 helps at all in this case :nono:

how about 15-85... if you're not the kind who like to change lens (eg, to UWA), then 15 is a decent compromise, should be able to do decent sweeps. 85 may not be that long, but that is entirely relative to your style of shooting.

i would go with 18-200 for an ALL-IN lens. It gives you a good range is light (about 500g) and it saves you the hassle of changing between lenses during your trip.

OR

10-22 with your 18-55 .....you can take nice scenery with the 10-22 but that means you have to change lenses

I believe TS is looking for a lens that will enable him to zoom in further than his existing 18-55. I don't think a 17-55 helps at all in this case :nono:

TS mentioned the issue on F3.5, so I thought he might like the idea of F2.8.

Good walk around lens, but I'm using 17-85mm though :bsmilie:

Buy/rent/borrow a second body with a 55-250 mounted. Second body serves as a backup and no need to change lens; just put down one and start shooting with the other.

All in one: EFS 18-200
Better IQ: EFS 15-85
2 lens combo: EFS 18-55 + EFS55-250 (cheapest)

It depends on the location, the situation and the time you have to spend in Europe. All lenses will give you satisfactory results if you take the time to know them and understand their strengths and weak points. If you are not city bound, a longer lens will be advantageous. I shot this using my 400D and 70-200mm f/4L IS from across the Rhine at 200mm focal length and cropped 50%. Autumn in its true colors is best viewed in October. Enjoy the old continent !!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cklin31/4132167556/

An FF body is a camera with a full frame sensor. A full frame sensor doesn't have to multiply by 1.6x for the effective focal length. FF camera includes the 1Ds series and 5D/5D2.

How do i know whehter my camera is FF or not. What is the benefit of having that. My camera is Canon 400D.

How do i know whehter my camera is FF or not. What is the benefit of having that. My camera is Canon 400D.

Ff is 5d and above. 400d is not ff.advantages of ff google it or search threads here in cs

how about 15-85... if you're not the kind who like to change lens (eg, to UWA), then 15 is a decent compromise, should be able to do decent sweeps. 85 may not be that long, but that is entirely relative to your style of shooting.

+1 for 15-85. Used one, have one collecting dust cos i sold my 500d. Excellent iq

Very very true... :thumbsup:

I end up quarreling with my GF during my trip to Japan after spending so much time taking pictures while she idles there. :sweat:

That is true, and if you are on a package tour and time schedule is tight spending time switching lenses is not practical, I think the key is that you need to spend more enjoy your holiday so a functional lens is important. EFS 18-200 or Tamron 18-270 will really come in handy.[/QUOTE]

Hi Guys, thanks for your reply... and i fully agree on we shld take care of our family rather than on our own toy... There are so many suggestion: EFS 18-200 or Tamron 18-270, 17-55mm F2.8 and so on... Does the EFS 18-200 or Tamron 18-270 come with large and constant aperture?

How about 17-55mm F2.8? S$1,545 at alan photo SLS. :thumbsup:

What is the benefit of having a short range of 17-55mm rather than a wider range like 18-200mm? Can the wider range be able to fix the aperture at constant?

I do understand F2.8 is good and that's why it is higher in price.

What is the benefit of having a short range of 17-55mm rather than a wider range like 18-200mm? Can the wider range be able to fix the aperture at constant?

I do understand F2.8 is good and that's why it is higher in price.

I am intending to bring my 18-55mm IS plus a 50mm F1.8 in my coming penang, shanghai and taipei trip..I hate carrying tons during tours so F2.8 lenses are not feasible..I hardly uses any zoom range longer than the 3x zoom when I travelled with my sony compact last time..Best is the 2 lenses that I will be bringing able to fit into my stock canon bag with an extra sony dsc-T9 plus passport etc..

There are so many suggestion: EFS 18-200 or Tamron 18-270, 17-55mm F2.8 and so on... Does the EFS 18-200 or Tamron 18-270 come with large and constant aperture?

Out of these 3 listed, only 17-55mm has constant aperture of f/2.8.