Glare from doorway...and others

Status
Not open for further replies.

acidbyte

I've got questions (using an Minolta Dimage A1).

#1-When i am taking a photo in the school hall, the glaring sunlight from the outside makes the background overexposed...how do i solve that ?

#2-I am trying to take indoor photos but when i try to use the built in flash,things get overexposed, i tried lowering the exposure or/and the brightness of the flash, but it's always either too dark or too bright. I really suxx at taking indoor photos, so hope to seek an answer in here.

If i've got anymore questions,i will continue posting in here.

acidbyte said:
I've got questions (using an Minolta Dimage A1).

#1-When i am taking a photo in the school hall, the glaring sunlight from the outside makes the background overexposed...how do i solve that ?

I'm talking theory here, because I never really encounter such extreme situations before. What your situation is backlighting, i.e. the main source of light comes from behind the subject. If you meter to exposure the subject properly, then the background will become too bright. If you meter to expose the background properly, the subject will be too dark.

Using a spot/partial metering program and meter the background, and then using fill-in flash to light your subject may work. Of course, this depends on the capability of your camera to do a correct fill-in, and this is the tricky part. Experiement and try. :)

Do EV compensation when the background is too bright, I find it works for me, +0.3EV - +1.0EV is fine for me. Use flash to avoid silohuetting the subjects in front.

Regarding indoor flash, you might want to consider softening the light by using a 1 ply tissue paper over the flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.