Girl's Best "Friend"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sjourn

Aug 9, 2004
Punggol 21
Just got my gear back and trying out my new macro lens for the first time.
Borrowed my wife's engagement ring, looked ok from the eye but found out it has lotsa scratches after the shoot and it's time for a polish....

Please give constructive comments...thanks. ;)

DSC_8932.jpg

DSC_8931.jpg

Wow....!!! :eek: My best frend! "BLINK"! "BLINK"!"BLINK"! How many carrot huh? ;)

Funny said:
Wow....!!! :eek: My best frend! "BLINK"! "BLINK"!"BLINK"! How many carrot huh? ;)

0.26ct...cost me an arm and leg 7 years ago....:cry:

nowadays so much bigger & cheaper... :angry:

eikin said:
got to watch the lighting ;) maybe a slightly larger DOF as well

Care to share which type of lighting to use? My first noob shoot on jewellery lei...

See whether you can guess my lighting,,,.... :D

Sjourn said:

Mayb different quality mah! Mayb last time better quality leh! Last time policemen used to wear shorts, nw they wear pants liao! :bsmilie:

natural light from behind, an orange torchlight from the left and a flashlight bounced off 45 degree? hahaha, anyhow hum tum

How big is that? Not counting points....right?

I've always tried to look at the clarity of the diamond.. that is, see clear throught it w/o the reflections... From a photog pov its vv difficult n to position it from a buyers pov too. I guess if you get that frame it would be an ace...

Try with white gold band (an idea)

I like your rough n smooth idea...

eikin said:
natural light from behind, an orange torchlight from the left and a flashlight bounced off 45 degree? hahaha, anyhow hum tum

Warm light from the ceiling, white LED torchlight from the back, remote flash on the right laying flat...tt's it. :bsmilie:

Sjourn said:
Warm light from the ceiling, white LED torchlight from the back...tt's it. :bsmilie:

soh desu ... white LED light, no wonder so bright, diamonds very reflective, use less and softer light lah, easier to control

JT1 said:
How big is that? Not counting points....right?

I've always tried to look at the clarity of the diamond.. that is, see clear throught it w/o the reflections... From a photog pov its vv difficult n to position it from a buyers pov too. I guess if you get that frame it would be an ace...

I like your rough n smooth idea...

Thanks for the comment...nowadays I'll rather get and average quality and get a bigger rock instead. Ur GF ain't going to look through the microscope everytime she sees it.. :bsmilie:

eikin said:
soh desu ... white LED light, no wonder so bright, diamonds very reflective, use less and softer light lah, easier to control

Difficult la..you shold try it, now u got macro setup also. Diamonds suppose to sparkle mah...btw wat's "desu"??

Sjourn said:
Thanks for the comment...nowadays I'll rather get and average quality and get a bigger rock instead. Ur GF ain't going to look through the microscope everytime she sees it.. :bsmilie:

if you realised your wife will not look at her diamond through the microscope ... but her friend will ...
pointing-right.gif
Funny

Sjourn said:

Here's a tip.... its the plane angle that counts.... It'll make points and save bucks

Been there, done that

Btw, It won't spoil the market but will help the buy side...

Sorry mate... it your engagement ring.... My sincere apologies... Sorry again....

JT1 said:
Here's a tip.... its the plane angle that counts.... It'll make points and save bucks

Been there, done that

Btw, It won't spoil the market but will help the buy side...

Thanks for the tip..been trying to get good reflections as well as to get the "see through" feel you mentioned, will try to improve.. :)

JT1 said:
Sorry mate... it your engagement ring.... My sincere apologies... Sorry again....

No prob, it's not my engagement ring, it's my wife's :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

OT, but I have to say this for all MANkind.

Diamonds are actually worthless. They are not rare, they are not attractive, their values are inflated. There is no tradition that a diamond is the best thing for an engagement. It's all a marketing scheme.

Go google "deBeers marketing tactics". All you need to do is spread the knowledge.

Sjourn said:

my arm & leg just got chopped also... ;p

nowadays also not much bigger & cheaper... btw how much is this piece?

bought 1 then he say can offer to 'upgrade' in 2 years...

your light is too strong and you need reflectors to add some colour to the band.
the yellow light makes the band look like yellow gold, instead of its natural colour.

to make the diamond sparkle, your led light must reflect off the facets of the diamond and not through it.

highly relfective surfaces are difficult to light, if there is no light it will turn to black and it will reflect everything around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.