Gig

Status
Not open for further replies.

azieai

Oct 31, 2009
Hi, I'll be attending a band gig(rock/alternative kind of genres) next weekend and i want to experiment taking shots of the event. I want to rent a suitable lens for this event.
I have a canon 500D body. Gig will be held indoors, quite a small studio, so expected would be low lighting and crowded area. Will a 50mm f/1.4 lens be good enough?

I'm a newbie and definitely in need of tips and advise :)

If you can get upclose infront then i would really recommend a wide angle lens. Prolly the 10-20 or 12-24.

50/1.4, depending on how you would like to shoot it? i seldom use anything above 35mm for gigs because i dont like the kind of perspective it gives me. Well that's just me, im a wide angle person.

Got some examples on my blog. link below.

Another alternative is to get a zoom (17-55mm f2.8) and pump up the ISO.

Ahh alright :) thank you for your advise. though i'll just try out the 50/1.4 first, since i've already reserved it. i'll try out the other lens for other upcoming gigs or events! :D

Since it'll be a sml studio and crowded, do take note first how far away you'll need to back up for shots.:)
It may be too restrictive if thats the only lens u bringing.

Last edited:
sure! i'll take note :D

Hi, I'll be attending a band gig(rock/alternative kind of genres) next weekend and i want to experiment taking shots of the event. I want to rent a suitable lens for this event.
I have a canon 500D body. Gig will be held indoors, quite a small studio, so expected would be low lighting and crowded area. Will a 50mm f/1.4 lens be good enough?

I'm a newbie and definitely in need of tips and advise :)

It depends on the lighting conditons, typically you'll be shooting at 1600 ISO or 3200 ISO and if you can beg, borrow or scrounge a wide angle f2.8 zoom lens go for it. A 50mm f1.4 will work but will be a bit long for most shots.

The Ang Moh from Hell

you may want to reconsider a fisheye lens since it's a small place.
just my suggestion :]

Status
Not open for further replies.