what it can do and what it can't

firstly the file size

DSC_0048s.jpg

drove pass and shot this with a really old Tokina AT-X 28-70 f2.8 at 28mm

this is just how big the file is, below is a 100% crop from the above image
DSC_0048_100.jpg

mind boggling

DSC_0100s.jpg

this lens is soft at the extremes, so i make use of this for a little soft focus
the metering is a little brighter, i tend to make the images you see here darker but that is my preference
i was told by a wise man that i should shoot a little over and bring in the highlight details in post,
as you can see the details are still there, the dynamic range is also huge and you can do lots in post processing, btw these are shot as jpegs.

DSC_0106s.jpg

DSC_0110s.jpg

another thing to note if you are coming from a DX camera, the DOF is also noticeably alot less and more pronounced.
see the shadow details in the tar

Last edited:
yesterday i mounted an even older Nikkor AF 35-80mm 1:4-5.6 D

DSC_000319.JPG

not so sharp but check out the dynamic range and shadow details

then i went out during my lunch hour to shoot some more

DSC_001619.JPG

focus is fast and exposure is made to capture dynamic range

you do know that that lens has it's quirks and at times will be soft. so you need to have a workaround.

Yeap indeed, mine has the same drawbacks as yours: soft at corners and when wide open. Still, it seems to perform decently when stopped down on the D800. Quite heartening to know that. :D Enjoy your new camera!

Hi Ortega,

Could you do a test on DX lens? Because I have a N17-55 f/2.8...Hence, would like to find out if the DOF will be similar when mounted on FX.

Thank you.

Hi Ortega,

Could you do a test on DX lens? Because I have a N17-55 f/2.8...Hence, would like to find out if the DOF will be similar when mounted on FX.

Thank you.

lol you are in luck, today i mounted my tamron 17-50 f2.8. wil post images later
the DOF should behave the same as FX lenses

I tried out my D800 with the 35mm f/1.8g in FX mode and it actually works great. DOF of the center crop from the FX image is the same as a DX camera but if you focus closer to get same framing as DX the DOF will be thinner. I also found that you can use it at 1.2x crop with acceptably low levels of vignetting.

some images with a Tamron SP AF17-50mm F2.8 XR Di II (non VC)
this is a DX lens, camera was set to shoot at FX so you can see the vignette

DSC_01353.jpg

DSC_01436.jpg

DSC_01493.jpg

this morning with a Tokina AT-X 17mm f/3.5 AF

DSC_01528.jpg

this is an old lens for film

The bokeh for this looks great. It it at 17mm? If yes, I don't think we can get such bokeh on DX camera.

lunas said:
The bokeh for this looks great. It it at 17mm? If yes, I don't think we can get such bokeh on DX camera.

Yes it is a 17mm prime lens, I am now in orchard road with a Nikkor 50mm f1.8 af-d, the images are wow!

Mounted my nikkor 105mm micro af-d, also very sharp.

The details you get with macro shot are extreme, but you have less depth of field due to the fx sensor but then you can compensate by increasing the camera to subject distance

Last edited:
Can you also get hold of a 800E and show us the enhanced details in the photos.

Nice bokeh.
Thanks for sharing.

Is the AF fast & accurate on AF-D lens?