Getting caught for photography, by Police

Status
Not open for further replies.
Old topic.. Generally, taking a building on public space is allow. Some places allow taking of photo in their building for "personal, non commercial purpose" So a lot of security always think-big black cam is for pro on commercial shooting. And they will come over... Then by using a pns they will not pms and will leave u alone. Funny set of thinking... Welcome to Singapore...

heh this reminded me of an incident while i was shooting a wedding:

couple was coming down the lift from a low floor so i decided to run down the stairs and catch them coming out of the lift. raised my camera to get ready the exposure and this fella comes up from no where and tries to grab my camera, shouting at me asking me what i was doing and he was going to call the police and that he used to work as a policeman.

of course the left opened and the couple strolled out, asking if there was a problem, i said no, but gimme a few moments i settle this, wait for me at the car.

so i turned back to that insane man and said, u see, i was shooting a wedding, and i just lost a few shots becos of ur interference, expecting him to apologise, but no leh he kept on going saying i'm a terrorist and should not be taking spy photos!!

u know wat i did? (he was still holding on to my camera) i pushed him away and took a burst of shots of him, told him that i was going to take his picture to the police and verify whether he really used to work there, and to press charges for assualt. i love the look on his face when i walked away.

of course i didn't do anything with those images (it's been deleted anyway), and in hindsight, i think he's a crazy old man, as in really something wrong up there. pple getting married OF COURSE GOT PHOTOGRAPHER LAR... kaoz. :rolleyes:

No, they do not have the right to ask that your photos be deleted. They only have the right to ask you to leave.

cky1504 said:
its not that it isn't safe. but the security or the management has the right to ask u to have the photos deleted cause we are on their property.

I think that inside a building or mall, if the security sees u taking pics of one another or of a group like family members, they likely won't bother u. But if they see u pointing ur lenses all over the building, they'll likely become suspicious.

J-Chan said:
then how bout the rest of the thousands of people shooting the merlion everyday??

beats me. apparently they see ppl holding big cameras (SLRs) means something wrong :dunno:

I was shooting this crumbling, overgrown, old row of shophouses, some which look on the verge of collapsing any moment. Some are still occupied, while others are hoarded up. Two workers are removing fittings (shelves, doors, furniture, etc) to empty the shophouses for demolition.

So I was shooting around the front, then I went to the alley. Then this f*** worker came out and said
"what are you doing, you need a permit".... blahblahblah....
"brother, you need a permit to shoot".... yadayadayada...
"if you continue shooting i call police" yeah right...
"if you continue shooting i'll really call police".... er ok...
"leave now or i call police" !!!

;( ;( ;(

And guess what?
I came around the front again to shoot, away from the view of the "worker-cum-security guard-cum-lawmaker". Then this guy driving a pickup asks me what I am doing. I just plainly said 'photography'. He just left and went into one of the shophouses. :angry:

hai.... this makes photography in singapore a very frustrating time...

hope someone make thing better...

as for those call-police-at-every-photographer... watch the new anti-terrorist vid man!

zcwnfx said:
hai.... this makes photography in singapore a very frustrating time...

hope someone make thing better...

as for those call-police-at-every-photographer... watch the new anti-terrorist vid man!

I think it's not just in SG, but happening in other countries as well...Let's look at it from the POV of the 'uninitiated' - how are they going to distinguish a 'terrorist' taking pics from a genuine and innocent photo enthusiast? But definitely, the 9-11 has made more of the 'uninitiated' more jumpy.

Maybe we shld all wear a cap that has the wordings "Photographer" in all 4 languages and dress as innocently as possible.

vince123123 said:
No, they do not have the right to ask that your photos be deleted. They only have the right to ask you to leave.

they do have the rights to demand that u delete photos taken inside their compound as it is private property and u did not obtain prior permission from the management to shoot. this is from something i read from clubsnap long time ago. remember there use to be a sticky thread on all these here with someone checking up what rights we photographer actually do have and don not have. cheers!

cky1504 said:
they do have the rights to demand that u delete photos taken inside their compound as it is private property and u did not obtain prior permission from the management to shoot. this is from something i read from clubsnap long time ago. remember there use to be a sticky thread on all these here with someone checking up what rights we photographer actually do have and don not have. cheers!
Now u are reading from Clubsnap:

"No, they do not have the right to ask that your photos be deleted. They only have the right to ask you to leave."

Last time... Last time policemen still wear shorts. Now they wear pants.

Hahhaha exactly!!! I couldn't have said it better.

AReality said:
Now u are reading from Clubsnap:

"No, they do not have the right to ask that your photos be deleted. They only have the right to ask you to leave."

Last time... Last time policemen still wear shorts. Now they wear pants.

lol i am lost...:think:
so do they hav or not have the right to ask u to delete ur photos?:confused:

i think if they will toas k u to delete those photos, just do it, to avoid incoming troubles

Rats.. then I forsee a lot of hassle this time around when my and my colleagues will be roaming the city to take pictures to the theme of "Our City" for in-company photo competition.

No wonder most of my photo enthusiast friends just end up taking plant, bird, and insect pictures.

It's "cool" to get caught, then you've got something to talk about on clubsnap :(...

hazmee said:
I was caught not only by the police, but wannabe security officers, heroes of the nation, coalition of the willingness to help create new bans across the country and many more paranoia stricken society. Too many to list but the most recent one was at Pandan Reservoir. You can read more about it at my photoblog. Cheers.
Liked your portfolio...cool pics. What equipment do u use? looks like ur a drummer too. I play too ;)

I shoot buildings. Sometimes I'll shoot abstracts. Always shoot in public place or zoom in, compromising pic quality.

So far the most amazing thing I've done is lying down in the entrance lobby of the building shooting up. :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:
Me and my friends were doing school project, shooting around the entrance, but I was the only who lied on the floor. :sweat: Guard like pretend never see. Heheh.

Criminal Setting - Trying to get some shots of Esplanade after the firework display.

Police: Hi Sir, i am sorry but u cant take pictures of the Esplanade unless you have written permission from the Esplanade's management.

Me: Hmm?? I thought the ruling only applies to the interior of the building?

Police: Erm..i am not sure about that but i am afraid no photography is allowed.

Me: But they are taking photos. *Pointing to the tourists behind him*

Police: They are using the normal cameras without tripod.

Me: ?? Okie. No prob. *Super black face*

*Packing up*

Police: Sir, maybe you can try shooting there.*Pointing to the Esplanade bridge*

Me: U mean i can take photos of the building from the bridge?

Police: No. I mean you can try taking photos of the sea.

Me: ?????????????????????????

Conclusions:

1. He probably think i am able to catch the building's reflection off the water surface.

2. Infrigement of building IP can only occur when you are using a DSLR. PnS is okie.

3. The probability of a person being a terrorist is higher when that person is a local.

4. Terrorist will only use high resolution images, and of couse without the handshakes and direct flash. An improvement from the "Blair Witch Project" styled Yishun MRT video footage.

5. Singapore policemen, in general, are very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.