Getting a white k-x, but...

baroque

Feb 2, 2010
when i asked abt the prices, i found out that there's only white version for the 18-55mm single kit lens and 18-55mm + 55-300mm dual kit lenses bundles... i would love to get the 18-55mm + 50-200mm dual kit lenses bundle, but was told it's only available in black...

i have read many times in this forum that, at an additional of just $117 over the single kit lens, the 50-200mm kit lens is good to have and value for money...

thus, would like to ask if anyone has faced such a dilemma before and what were the solutions?

i have considered getting a separate DA 50-200mm lens which costs ard $348 (from what i gathered here)... but this seems out of question as the total cost will be more than the 50-300mm bundle...

TIA! :D

Me have the same problem before .

In the end I chose the Black 18-55 and 50-200 kit . As it is really value for money .

I did upgrade again (sell away 50-200) to 55-300mm as I need the extra reach and I read that the lens perform better as compare to 50-200mm and I never regret ....

However the 55-300mm is much bigger compare to 50-200mm.

If weight is not a concern , get the white 18-55 and 55-300 set .
I feel that DAL 55-300mm worth more then $320 :)

is the 55-300 also in white color?

if you really love the White KX, just get it and find a used 50-200mm or 50-300mm in BnS Section.

Me have the same problem before .

In the end I chose the Black 18-55 and 50-200 kit . As it is really value for money .

I did upgrade again (sell away 50-200) to 55-300mm as I need the extra reach and I read that the lens perform better as compare to 50-200mm and I never regret ....

However the 55-300mm is much bigger compare to 50-200mm.

If weight is not a concern , get the white 18-55 and 55-300 set .
I feel that DAL 55-300mm worth more then $320 :)

yaya! i also read that the 55-300mm lens performs better... but another concern is that i may under utilise this lens with such a long focal length :O

or should i just get the single kit lens, for who knows i might not even need the 50-200mm lens? :confused:

if you really love the White KX, just get it and find a used 50-200mm or 50-300mm in BnS Section.

I wouldn't suggest that . DAL 50-300mm price is Bns is much higher compare to the package price if get new . Since now there is white dual kit set for 50-300mm set , I suggest u get now then to settle for a 2nd hand one with a much higher price later :)

Btw the 2nd zoom lens come in black colour . So far only the 18-55mm is white

is the 55-300 also in white color?

oops, that i did not ask properly... but i did a search on google and found out there's a white 55-300mm lens... hafta check again :x

kinda scared of getting second-hand stuffs as i don't really know how to check the conditions :(

yaya! i also read that the 55-300mm lens performs better... but another concern is that i may under utilise this lens with such a long focal length :O

or should i just get the single kit lens, for who knows i might not even need the 50-200mm lens? :confused:

Really depend on yr shooting style and what you want to shoot . If you intend to bring yr cam to the zoo or bird park or even street tele Candids (camp at a corner and shoot pp) , etc etc , the 18-55 might not be enough .

If u are a landscape kind of guy , you don't really need the extra reach :)

For me I seldom use my DAL 55-300mm. But it worth every moment when I need it :)

I wouldn't suggest that . DAL 50-300mm price is Bns is much higher compare to the package price if get new . Since now there is white dual kit set for 50-300mm set , I suggest u get now then to settle for a 2nd hand one with a much higher price later :)

Btw the 2nd zoom lens come in black colour . So far only the 18-55mm is white

i see i see... thanks for the feedback :p

i am thinking of an alternative - find someone who wants to get a black body + 18-55mm + 50-300mm kit lenses, then we do a pair purchase? but would there be anybody who wants to do it? any advices where i can post such a suggestion to find someone who fits the bill?

Get the white k-x single kit and buy the 50-200mm in B&S.
White is really nice... it makes you... well special :)

I sold my 50-200mm... after I buy the dual kit.
A bit regret.. cause the 50-200mm is very light and compact... a very good travel lens.

er...the rest of the pentax lenses are black...so how u gonna stop at these 2 lenses only ? Canon got white lenses though...

Got sliver mah :p

er...the rest of the pentax lenses are black...so how u gonna stop at these 2 lenses only ? Canon got white lenses though...

no lah, as long as the body is white in colour, i am happy already :D

Really depend on yr shooting style and what you want to shoot . If you intend to bring yr cam to the zoo or bird park or even street tele Candids (camp at a corner and shoot pp) , etc etc , the 18-55 might not be enough .

If u are a landscape kind of guy , you don't really need the extra reach :)

For me I seldom use my DAL 55-300mm. But it worth every moment when I need it :)

haha! can't really grasp what i am interested in... but i like to shoot people and events...

i do agree that telephoto zoom lens helps when going to zoo, bird park etc... but when i told that to my friend, she said "you are not going to zoo everytime!"... so i am confused... haha!

Get the white k-x single kit and buy the 50-200mm in B&S.
White is really nice... it makes you... well special :)

I sold my 50-200mm... after I buy the dual kit.
A bit regret.. cause the 50-200mm is very light and compact... a very good travel lens.

yaya! that's what i thought too! erm, how come you sold yours? :x to fund for other lens?

I got the K-x White Kit and get a DA 50-200mm. Its quite ok actually. I do like the 50-200mm lens as its a wonderful lens indeed. But I want an extra reach so in the end I sold it off and get myself Da 55-300. Though I find that the Bokeh for 55-300 is nice. Love it.

yaya! that's what i thought too! erm, how come you sold yours? :x to fund for other lens?

cause the dual kit comes with the DAL 55-300mm mah... so overlap.
when u get ur kit... u will always be funding for new lens :sweat:

btw... if u are shooting concerts/events... the zooms may not be bright enough.
You may need f2.8... maybe DA 200mm f2.8 ? ~$1500 will do :bsmilie:

Jokes aside... get the 50-200mm to start with... it serve me well whenever I needed it... miss it :(

get the 55-300 and sell in b&s..then use the money to buy a 50-200:devil:

I got the K-x White Kit and get a DA 50-200mm. Its quite ok actually. I do like the 50-200mm lens as its a wonderful lens indeed. But I want an extra reach so in the end I sold it off and get myself Da 55-300. Though I find that the Bokeh for 55-300 is nice. Love it.

how much was the DA 50-200mm lens? was it ~348 like what i read in this forum?

pardon me, but if i were to spend $782 for the single kit + $348 for the DA 50-200mm, it would be like $1130; might be more worth it to get the DAL 55-300mm kit lenses? though i read that the differences between DA and DAL are quick shift, metal mount, and distance marking? i must go read up on what quick shift and distance marking are, soon :think:

when i asked abt the prices, i found out that there's only white version for the 18-55mm single kit lens and 18-55mm + 55-300mm dual kit lenses bundles... i would love to get the 18-55mm + 50-200mm dual kit lenses bundle, but was told it's only available in black...

i have read many times in this forum that, at an additional of just $117 over the single kit lens, the 50-200mm kit lens is good to have and value for money...

thus, would like to ask if anyone has faced such a dilemma before and what were the solutions?

i have considered getting a separate DA 50-200mm lens which costs ard $348 (from what i gathered here)... but this seems out of question as the total cost will be more than the 50-300mm bundle...

TIA! :D

bro i was like you before.. was aiming a navy blue k-x but it came with the 55-300 package. in the end, just got the black k-x with the 50-200 package.

however, maybe the 55-300 lens is better than the 50-200 lens, that's what i read around here...

nevertheless, the 50-200 lens is still great. gives good bokeh effect up when zoomed in. very nice.. i just took some shots yesterday at SAM using 50-200, turned out nicely. i prefer it over the 18-55 somehow.

btw, white may turn yellowish easily... better to get dark colours imo.

Last edited:
how much was the DA 50-200mm lens? was it ~348 like what i read in this forum?

pardon me, but if i were to spend $782 for the single kit + $348 for the DA 50-200mm, it would be like $1130; might be more worth it to get the DAL 55-300mm kit lenses? though i read that the differences between DA and DAL are quick shift, metal mount, and distance marking? i must go read up on what quick shift and distance marking are, soon :think:

U forget the hood . But not to worry , there is a very good 3rd party hood now that solve the problem (old DAL 200/300mm user should know we got a hard time finding a decent hood)
Quick shift = quick manual focus
Distance marking = tell u how much it's being zoom on lens (wait a min , I tot DAL lens also have ?)
Metal mount = the part where the lens is mount onto the camera is make of metal instead of plastic (more durable maybe ?)