Get a D3s or the replacement of D700?

Status
Not open for further replies.
since money doesn't seems like a problem here... why not just save up for D3x? ;p

i wanna buy a fx for sports, portrait and travel use thats about it.
cheers

you very off the track leh! People talking abt D300 or D3.
Moreover his D90 to a D300 is not much upgrade.

I know.. :D
I'm a d700 user myself and I prefer a d300 with better lenses.. The image quality is not that different. I kinda regret selling my d300 back then. Oh yes, a d3s with a 70-200 is very heavy. You won't be comfortable travelling with them. It's just my 2 cents. ;)

i am actually not sure abt FX camera cus i started reading abt FX camera abt 1 week ago. that's why i am asking u guys which have a more experience to give me some opinions. haha

and btw thanks guys for all those opinions, really appreciate it..

so wad is it about FX tt you wan in the first place...?

i am actually not sure abt FX camera cus i started reading abt FX camera abt 1 week ago. that's why i am asking u guys which have a more experience to give me some opinions. haha

and btw thanks guys for all those opinions, really appreciate it..

Hey, have you read about the large format gears? =)
Those are really good.

Regards

I know.. :D
I'm a d700 user myself and I prefer a d300 with better lenses.. The image quality is not that different. I kinda regret selling my d300 back then. Oh yes, a d3s with a 70-200 is very heavy. You won't be comfortable travelling with them. It's just my 2 cents. ;)

why u regret? i tot FX and superior than DX? Noise alone wins liao

hi weijing, just sharing my personal experience and opinions re the D3 and D700. I previously owned a D3. I really liked the 'professional' feel and performance. Downside is the weight, and the lack of a built-in flash. I 'traded down' to a D700 + battery pack. Now I have the choice - shoot with the standard body when I need to go 'light' and since it has the built-in flash, i don't even need to carry a flash (with the D3, I'd have to bring along a flash). When I need to do heavy shooting, I put on the Battery Pack onto the D700 and I can shoot over a 1000 shots on 1 charge (EN/EL-4a). The pixels are about the same. Image quality not much diff. I am waiting for the next D700 model as a back up body. My other stuff to complement my D700 are AF-S 14-24/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8 VR. I also have some primes - Zeiss Distagon 25/2.8, Makro-Planar 50/2, Makro Planar 100/2, and Nikon AF-D Micro 200/4, plus SB900. My recommendation to you would be to go for the D700 and invest in good lenses instead because the lenses will stay while bodies come and go. Hope this helps. Fred

Right, I agrees, invest in some good lenses, the value will remains for years.... A body basically worth nothing after some years.

Anyway my set up is a D700, Nikon 24-70, Sigma 12-24, 50 f1.4, 85 f1.4, 28 f2.8 and some other left over lens from Film generation. I am still saving up for a Nikon 70-200 and a 20 f2.8 to complete my FX system. I know the lenses will last and hoping too the body can last for another 5 years. ;)

I think if you need the camera now you should get the Nikon D3s but if you can wait there's always new cameras coming out. If the timeframe for the D4 follows the same timeframe between the Nikon D2Xs and D3, it should be here in 1.5 years.

The 3 lenses plus the body easily weight over 5 Kgs....you need to carefully think about the trade off on the mobility :sweat:

Samuel from John 3:16 always advice me to invest in the best lens I can afford.

The body is just another tool you can reconsider on a lower priority.The D700 can already do what the D3s can..and do u really need to use all the functions of the D3/s ?..very soon, in a couple of years, u end up selling in BnS for less than half the price u got bcos another body with new technology has came up...n u want to buy again...

i wanna buy a fx for sports, portrait and travel use thats about it.
cheers

if you don't shoot in *very* low light that often, i think the d700 will be more than enough, especially if you want to use it for travel

hi weijing, just sharing my personal experience and opinions re the D3 and D700. I previously owned a D3. I really liked the 'professional' feel and performance. Downside is the weight, and the lack of a built-in flash. I 'traded down' to a D700 + battery pack. Now I have the choice - shoot with the standard body when I need to go 'light' and since it has the built-in flash, i don't even need to carry a flash (with the D3, I'd have to bring along a flash). When I need to do heavy shooting, I put on the Battery Pack onto the D700 and I can shoot over a 1000 shots on 1 charge (EN/EL-4a). The pixels are about the same. Image quality not much diff. I am waiting for the next D700 model as a back up body. My other stuff to complement my D700 are AF-S 14-24/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8 VR. I also have some primes - Zeiss Distagon 25/2.8, Makro-Planar 50/2, Makro Planar 100/2, and Nikon AF-D Micro 200/4, plus SB900. My recommendation to you would be to go for the D700 and invest in good lenses instead because the lenses will stay while bodies come and go. Hope this helps. Fred

Hey thx manz!! Of cus ur opinions helps haha.
OK will consider seriously bout wad u said.

For me, i always and ONLY getting an SLR/DSLR that can operate with just AA batteries.

As i do experience malfunction charger and damage memory card during holidays, thats y i choose a cam that can operate as a backup by AA batteries. (I use to travel to country side in Mongolia, and some small towns in Myanmar, there will be NO electricity etc, so you have no power to charge your batteries unless you are rich enough to bring more fully charged batteries.)

Anyway another Habit of mine is i use lower cap memory cards but i had alot of them. I use 1 card a day during oversea holidays sothat when i had a fail card, a lost camera, my photos will only be limited by a day's damage. Imagine you had thousands of pictures gone during the last day of your 10 days europe trip....:cry:http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/images/cs/smilies/nono.gif

A D3 will be good, a D700 works just fine...:D

thats why many purchase the mb-d10 & mb-d80

The 3 lenses plus the body easily weight over 5 Kgs....you need to carefully think about the trade off on the mobility :sweat:

Consider the Leica M9 if a lighter rig is needed. :bsmilie:

People who can't decide between a D3S vs a D700 where money is no object are folks who don't know how a full pledge Nikon Setup weight!

Add up all the weight of 14-24, 24-70, 70-200, SB900, D3S, Tripod, Tripod Head, Spare batteries, Various Filters. Think about walk around with this weight and shooting.......U are not static, but walking and in various hand hold position with the load. This my take being PJ back in China years back.......(although not using D3S lah!). Think about what you be doing.....Think Hard on your needs and how the system will FIT IN YOUR NEEDS vs YOUR WANTS:think:

You might have no issue with $ and buying the best of the best, but what make sense.......this might not be important.

since you have the $$ get a D3s, you probably wont look back from then on. but please don't buy it just for the sake of buying it.
use it well. it will bring you many delightful moments.

Last edited:
If you don't shoot fast action/ sports, the obvious choice is the d700. It is a compact version of the d3/d3s, and image quality only really differs at the highest ISO levels where the d3s shines with less noise and more accurate detail rendition.

I'd say put the money into lenses, get a d700, get a battery grip MB-D10, and professional batteries used for the d3. You're going to save about 3,000 dollars and you're going to be able to use that later when Nikon starts updating their horribly outdated range of primes (They haven't been updated since the '90s).

If you aren't a professional sports shooter, the d3 isn't going to help. It's going to break your back. It's a brick. As I said earlier, the d700 is basically a compact version of the D3. No arguments there. They're for different types of shooters. Traveling - Anyone who's travelled alot independently, will know the burden of a flagship camera. This is why many professionals, especially documentary shooters opt for compact full frames like the d700 and the Mark II.

Coming from a Mark II shooter who just moved to the d700 a few days back. (Didn't lose money, traded for a good Nikon system :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.