German glass is better than Japanese glass because?

German glass is better than Japanese glass because?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by StreetShooter
Who is Dik Tuger?
guiness.JPG

I know I know... if I have to ask, it means I'm one of the great unwashed masses....

hands ck a bar of soap ... :devil:

try saying Dik Tuger very slowly and all will be apparent.

Jed is really joking :)
German lenses are not necessarily better than others. I think I already wrote in other thread quoting Jed's question.
But that's depend on how you define the term "good", which is subjective, and may be different for each photographers.

MTF test by photodo.com, show that german lenses are not always superior to japanese one. In fact, the highest rated lens in their tests so far, is a Canon EF 200/1.8L, not a german lens.

But why most of people believe that german lenses are better?
Some because of mind thinking that the more expensive equipment must be better than the cheaper one, which is not always true.
Some because they know european products are well known for well engineered quality, then they assume everything is the same.
But some understand the reality:
- German lens makers always maintain their standard of quality, they don't chase the low-end market. In the other side, Japanese lens maker chasing for all market, from hi-end to low-end. As the result, their products' quality vary widely. Some are excellent, better than german lenses, but some are unacceptably poor.

I personally like japanese lenses for their sharp and crisp image (and also lower price :)), but I prefer german lenses (or german optical design) for portraiture. Both the german and japanese have different philosophy in designing a lens.
The one said; It is the object's image which is in focus that is important, not the out of focus area where the photographer doesn't want.
But the other one said: Our eyes perceive the whole photo as an image, it can't be separated between the object in focus and the out of focus portion. All share the same importance.

Neither one is right or wrong, all depend on what we need and what we want to achieve.
Some japanese lenses actually use german optical design (... they 'copy' .... ), while the german never use japanese optical design. :)

Eh, sorry all for dropping this and then not checking back yesterday, was so sacked out, I took a nap and woke up at midnight, figured that if I got up for a few hours I'd never get to sleep again, so (for the first time ever) I decided to go back to sleep and wake up early. All went to plan except for the wake up early bit...

Anyway, Streetshooter, some top entries, going to pen some in now! Mind you, the poll's not going as well as it might be...

And as for the serious answers, well, I'm just going to ignore them ;)

Well if i translate that by the word glass you are talking about lenses, i will say that only Russia produces the best lenses ,made by original ultra high quality crystal.
Japan is famous for making high quality plastic lenses .
Japan haves the technology but not the materials , this was always their big problem .

Hah. You guys and your German glass. I have taken shots using Coke bottles (which simultaneously acts as a polariser) and a sheet of window glass for a filter. It gives me 1lpmm more than your best Leitz summicron 50/2 and 0.00125% more contrast at the edges.

I shot some pretty pikshures using Max 800 handheld at 1/4s and they are still better and sharper than your medium format Kodak technical pan stuff used on Zeiss glass. The kid processing my pix at the local drugstore seems to think his great grandmother(who is 90, bedridden and can't lift anything) could take better pix than me but !)@*&)(@#)(! what does the young @(*#$& so-and-so know about photography anyway?

Don't even get me started on bokeh. You will never top the creamy, pleasing yet clear bokeh with your German glass. What can you expect with aperture blades? My no-aperture optic will thrash your Leitz/Zeiss/C/N/M/P glass any day any time... try to top that.

And focusing speed... you poor sods have to painfully focus your $5000 Leitz/Zeiss glass manually while I can shoot away any time since my lens is permanently focused. (The kid at the drugstore lab says he can get sharper focus even without a lens... but (*@#&$( what does he know?)

Originally posted by StreetShooter
OK here goes.
Malaysian glass is actually plastic.

Actually it's not plastic, just not very transparent.
Suitable for making ND+10,000 filters, perfect for exposures at shutter speeds up to 40 years.
And if the developed film comes out wrong after 24 years you can still go back and make changes.

germans use glass? I thought it's all been used in making beer mugs...

Status
Not open for further replies.