G9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have just come back from Nite Safari and I am sad to report that the noise from the G9 is absolutely terrible. I shot at ISO 800 and most of the shots are un-usable:cry:.

Does anyone know if the LX3 has the same type of noise control? Better? Or worse?

Thanks!

at ISO800, noise is unavoidable - even on dSLRs. maybe in 5 year's time when digital sensors gets a boost from technological advancements, who knows?:dunno:

by the way, Panasonic is WELL KNOWN for bad noisy sensors. Go towards the LX3 for better high-ISO images and you'd be crawling away pulling your hair off. :thumbsd:

Have just come back from Nite Safari and I am sad to report that the noise from the G9 is absolutely terrible. I shot at ISO 800 and most of the shots are un-usable:cry:.

2948988711_1b9bbd30d9_o.jpg

2948988719_fcc6a50489_o.jpg

Maybe I am doing something wrong? Can someone enlighten me with a few tips?

Does anyone know if the LX3 has the same type of noise control? Better? Or worse?

Thanks!

U could shoot raw & use Neat Image or Noise Ninja to clean up the noise.

yeah maybe the lx3 at iso800 will have the same o worse results, based on some feedbacks on its noise

anyway on night snapshots i usually use iso400 and set to Tv mode so i can control the shutter speed. but you might need stable hands to make it not blurry, at least by 0.5"

its still a bit noisy, but usable. esp if you shoot raw then remove noise as suggested above

Last edited:
anyone gonna organise a MO soon? seems like everyone is caught up with the new G10! ;)

Anybody knows if the retro-looking soft case for the G9 is available in Singapore? From the Canon showroom at Vivo? Thanks in advance.

I guess the G10 is better at high iso shots and wider angle. My guess is that Canon reposition the camera from outdoor to indoor use to get a wider market.

However G9 shoots 1240X768 video where as G10 is only VGA 640X480 - this is really shortchanging G10 owners and G9 owners can be happy with that !

didn't know G10 is VGA! :eek: I've seen quite a few dumping G7 for G9 but not the same for G10 though.. or maybe not yet..

I am happy with my G9. Seems like the G9 thread is dying already. Also, very few of us post pictures taken by G9. I wonder why.

3116297577_38f4a2a237.jpg

Short of the megapixel and digi processor upgrade, I don't think i will be upgrading to G10. Tried out the model at Canon Vivo City. Didn't like the make. It's cosmetic at best with a 'kao wei' turner at the top of the camera. Stick to my G9. Hopefully G11 will be better and not a joke.:thumbsd:

Was contemplating to get G10 since I once owned a G7 but in the end I got G1.

Was contemplating to get G10 since I once owned a G7 but in the end I got G1.

Hi Skeletonman,
The opposite is true for me. I was contemplating the G3 when it was first introduced and finally got the G9. Is the G1 any good?

These are my first few photos in year 2009 by G9

NY2009-01.JPG

NY2009-02.JPG

NY2009-03.JPG

NY2009-04.JPG

NY2009-05.JPG

Last edited:
i also have a problm with my G9 for night shot.

that's a sampe of my picture

imageview.php

anyone know where can i get a g9 besides in the buy/sell forum?:)

very unlikely to get a new one aldy.

hi guys, where can i buy an underwater housing for the g9. its really impt i need it for a diving trip. price is not of concern. thanks guys!

If you are looking at the canon underwater casing, you can try getting it at canon@vivocity. MS Color/Alan Photo/Cathay do stock them but you have to check if they still have it in stock. Widely available in lucky plaza/sim lim square but ill refrain from getting it at those shops.

There are other housings available too but costs much more.

i dont feel like upgrading also. g10 is not much better in my opinion

rather im waiting if the mFT line will progress and/or if next Canon G will have better sensors and faster lenses

for now im content with what my g9 offers

Status
Not open for further replies.