Future of Olympus

If you are wondering the Future of Olympus Cameras, have a fun read...https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2021/01/04/camera-of-the-year-roundtable-madavor-photo-editors-debate-2020

Maybe go Canon ;)

Great Article. Yes, I do agree on the technical superiority of Cameras like the Canon R5 or Sony A7Riv.
But like some other editors, I do fall for lightweight and portability of the M43 systems simply because I do not need or reach the technically superior capabilities of the higher end cameras.

If you are wondering the Future of Olympus Cameras, have a fun read...https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2021/01/04/camera-of-the-year-roundtable-madavor-photo-editors-debate-2020

Maybe go Canon ;)

Let's Hope JIP will launch the EM1 IV too!

I know video is now the trend and it is likely that the EM1 IV will be more video capable, probably similar to Panasonic GH series.
BUT the feature that will get me very interested to upgrade will be the BIRD AI feature, if you can help me to improve my hit rates for Bird In Flight shots.

Last edited:
Depending on the direction they intend to head but from earlier post, expect high end stuff. I would prefer mass market saturation then high end stuff. Selling 20 low end bodies would mean at least 15 lenses upgrade while a single high end body would only be 1 high/super grade lens.

Let's Hope JIP will launch the EM1 IV too!

I know video is now the trend and it is likely that the EM1 IV will be more video capable, probably similar to Panasonic GH series.
BUT the feature that will get me very interested to upgrade will be the BIRD AI feature, if you can help me to improve my hit rates for Bird In Flight shots.

I go for the EM1. ii. It's suppose to be the same sensor, but the advantage is the better weather sealing, the twin SD slots and bigger battery.
And the news I am getting of the tripod point failure of that EM5 iii points to a design failure.

Thanks bro, me too and waiting for the price to drop now

They largely perform the same, with some minor differences.
I’d go for the 1.2 if you plan on using long lenses. The extra grip makes it ergonomically more suitable for the larger lenses.
The 5.3 makes for a very small package if you pair it with a couple of small primes.
For everything in between you could go either way. You need to try it in person b4 deciding.
yes agree thanks, especially the 1.2 grip more suitable for guy's hands

Depending on the direction they intend to head but from earlier post, expect high end stuff. I would prefer mass market saturation then high end stuff. Selling 20 low end bodies would mean at least 15 lenses upgrade while a single high end body would only be 1 high/super grade lens.
IMHV they made mistake in product priority and sequences ... if they choose to make the em5.3 or em1.3 before the em1x then maybe now is different. Hope JIP has better strategies ..

The EM5 Mk3 is what attracted be to begin using an Olympus.

Olympus actually put about 95% of the EM1 mk2 capabilities into the EM5 mk3 and launch it at $1300 in Singapore.
I was told they sold about 180 units on morning of their first day launch. It was really a bargain at that time.

Olympus probably did that the test the market for the tier just below their highest end model to see the market response,
and basing on what I see around me, quite a large number of M43 users upgraded or get the Em5 mk3 as a spare camera body.
It is small and light weight but was never meant to be in the same league as the EM1 or EM1x, hence the tripod mount.

As mentioned , I used the tripod mount probably less than 10 times (with 2 days carrying it around on a tripod holding only
the tripod for about 3 hrs each) with no issues.

I used it as a travel camera, or to record family outings but not for professional work.

I have attended several Olympus workshops and hands-on the EM1 and EM1x on several occasions and do agree that
they are definitely more robust, but I hardly miss any additional features when I using my EM5.

Anyway, let's see what JIP is going to do with Olympus this year. Cheers

Recent occurrence.

He was not talking about Japanese public refusing to buy cameras made by OM Digital Solutions.

He was talking about the slim chance of JIP being able to find within Japan, a corporate buyout by a big company, for the OM Digital Solutions business.

It is uncommon for a Japan company head to scorn another newly formed Japan company.

Particularly when Fujio Mitarai is one of the honorary Chairs of Keidanren 日本经济团体联合会.

Wait and see what happens some time later.

Canon's CEO is also referring to the industry as a whole.
If you do a search, Nikon, and even Canon themselves are struggling with the rapid drop in sales, even without Covid-19.

It's like Fax Machines and Car GPS.
It's only a matter of time certain things are being replaced by either more efficient ones or those preferred by the mass market.
Manufacturers also need to adapt to changing market conditions and preferences.

If Apple still hand on to is sucessful ipod and not move on to iPhone, it is probably dead by now!

Digress from Thread topic a bit. Talk about Fax aka Facsimile aka Telefax.

Windows has a built-in Fax utility. But according to Internet comments, it is not intuitive and not easy to use.

Contrary to expectations, fax seems still popular.

Fax machine is cheap, simple and easy to use. Just connect to a phone line.
I observed an old lady in Thailand in a road side shop and she had a fax machine/cum phone.
She probably does not know about email or Windows 10 or the intricacies of computer hardware because she does not need to.

Do you want the fax machine? I have 3 units to GIVE away for free. You just need to pay the freight.

Digress from Thread topic a bit. Talk about Fax aka Facsimile aka Telefax.

Windows has a built-in Fax utility. But according to Internet comments, it is not intuitive and not easy to use.

Contrary to expectations, fax seems still popular.

Fax machine is cheap, simple and easy to use. Just connect to a phone line.
I observed an old lady in Thailand in a road side shop and she had a fax machine/cum phone.
She probably does not know about email or Windows 10 or the intricacies of computer hardware because she does not need to.

Do you want the fax machine? I have 3 units to GIVE away for free. You just need to pay the freight.

Thanks. I have bought a Canon fax machine. And also a fax modem. Bought just for fun. But almost never use after buying.
Just a tribute to the technology of that era.

Fax machines has been replaced by eFax (all fax received forwarded to you via email).

Cameras for Photos are also being slowly replaced by Mobile Phones and Video Cam,
unless you are doing photography as a hobby.

Social Media, Advertisers and even Events Organizer are finding videos actually attract
more eyeballs than photos, and hence, most camera manufacturers are increasing the
features and capabilities for video on their cameras.

JIP / OM Digital Imaging really has to shift this time (to be video-centric) like Panasonic,
or the future for Olympus is really going to be bleak.

This is worrying as more manufacturers are facing declining sales.
Don't think it is only happening to M43 manufacturers only.
Nikon has compact, APS and Full Frame. Having FF format does not save oneself.
Need to be innovative like Canon and Sony to stay ahead.

It shows that FF may not be the correct path to take and having too many lines also is not feasible. Oly's cutting to only 2 lines (OMD and Tough) did not slow the slide either.

The problem with declining camera sales is not due to sensor format.

It is due to replacement technology. ie. Mobile Phone.

Unless you are a serious hobbyist or professional, the latest Mobile Phone can probably take better pictures than a compact or Mirrorless DSLRs if all you need is a 12mp picture to capture moments or share on social media.

Now is who can innovate faster to catch the market.