Func button on D80

Status
Not open for further replies.

posez

Mar 23, 2007
Hi guys and gals,

Query - what do you use the function button on the D80 for?

I am torn between viewing the ISO and turning on the grid for composition. It's on ISO right now, but I am thinking of changing to grid for convenience. I can always view the ISO from the LCD by pressing one button, but it is really troublesome to get the grid on.

Hi guys and gals,

I am torn between viewing the ISO and turning on the grid for composition. It's on ISO right now, but I am thinking of changing to grid for convenience. I can always view the ISO from the LCD by pressing one button, but it is really troublesome to get the grid on.

Up to you. We can't help you decide. You have to decide what suits you best, and is the most comfortable.

Hi guys and gals,

Can you just leave the grid on all the time?

yea there is a menu function for that..

I used to leave the grid on all the time on the D70, but the grid on the D80 has quite a few more lines, rather distracting when composing certain shots. Have left it to ISO for now.

I used to leave the grid on all the time on the D70, but the grid on the D80 has quite a few more lines, rather distracting when composing certain shots. Have left it to ISO for now.
Oh okie.. I've not used the D80, so I don't know how the gridlines look like in D80. ;p

Eh bro, I don't think its the same leh - I've got both bodies, and still use both regularly. The D70 grid splits the viewfinder into 3x3 squares. The D80 does 4X4. A bit too many lines for me, but I think they needed to do that to accomodate the space needed for the new 11 point AF system

Eh bro, I don't think its the same leh - I've got both bodies, and still use both regularly. The D70 grid splits the viewfinder into 3x3 squares. The D80 does 4X4. A bit too many lines for me, but I think they needed to do that to accomodate the space needed for the new 11 point AF system
Eh.. I just looked at the respective manuals. They are the same. Both divide to 4x4. Then it should not be that bad to leave the grid on all the time. ;p But I agree that it does look a bit cluttered on the D80 because of the AF areas.

Left: D80, right: D70s
D80D70VF.jpg

Look again... the grid lines are the same...;)

BC

this is how it looks like.

D80_viewfinder_sml.jpg

Hi - you guys are right! I never noticed it for some reason, most embarassing, especially since I have both bodies with me. Sorry!

I think the D70 looks clearer because there are less auto-focus spots. the D80 viewfinder, although bigger and clearer, looks a lot more crowded with the gridlines and 11 AF points. Haha.. hope that explains why I had the misconception. Espeically since I checked last night and still got it wrong!

i am not sure if its the d80 supports this, but i use the func button to disable flash.
Yes, it does.

I use the Func for FV lock or AF area mode depending on what I am shooting or using flash or not.

BC

so FV lock = disabling flash?
wow thats pretty useful, didnt know :)
maybe ill alternate between AF area mode and disable flash too!

so FV lock = disabling flash?
wow thats pretty useful, didnt know :)
maybe ill alternate between AF area mode and disable flash too!

Nope FV lock is not flash disable. It is like AE lock but for flash instead. It fires a burst of flash at your subject and locks the FV. You can than recompose the photo while retaining the flash exposure. It's similar to spot metering and AE lock.

BC

I have set it to ISO. Have decided to just leave the gridlines on and try ignore them when I don't need them.

I do wish Nikon could have gone one up and allowed us to view the change to ISO in the viewfinder while pressing the func button though. It would not be too difficult I'm sure, and it would be a lot better than either taking your eye off to look at the top LCD or to try to dial in a correct value without taking your eye off.

I have set it to ISO. Have decided to just leave the gridlines on and try ignore them when I don't need them.

I do wish Nikon could have gone one up and allowed us to view the change to ISO in the viewfinder while pressing the func button though. It would not be too difficult I'm sure, and it would be a lot better than either taking your eye off to look at the top LCD or to try to dial in a correct value without taking your eye off.

That's why people pay more for pro body features. Heh.

Zak: Yep. The flash disable is a very useful but little-publicised function. It definitely saves someone from having to always on/off the speedlight, and never being caught in a situation when you switch off to capture a mood shot and forget to turn it on again, thus causing you to miss the moment on the next shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.