Fun with Filters - Post Your Pictures Taken with Any Filters with Pentax Cameras Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just looking around to see if I can get my hands on an IR filter be it first hand or second, to try out IR photography.
But I'm really new to this, so I'm not sure if there are any specifics to look out for when buying IR filters, like which wavelength range and so on.
Are you refering to this Hoya R72?
It's really expensive at USD264. :(
Know anything about this much cheaper B+W one? ;p
Look here for a rough guide, for Singapore prices, maybe add a few dollars, has gone up slightly since that thread was last updated.

Yeah, different IR filters will give you different results, like tones, and whether there's colour or not. What sort of IR are you looking to do? The most common type that you see in here and on the web would be using a R72 filter though. =)

72mm is $120 or so, based on the thread I've linked. =)

Bro, Hoya R72 where got so expensive one??? What size are you planning to get? Obviously larger diameter, more expensive. I bought my 67mm IR for <$70. Got people selling in B&S, so can check it out.

I get filter will be for my 17-70, so will be 72mm lor...
I oso dunno why so expensive... quoted from B&H... :dunno:
I will look around lor... But not much infor on the B+W one....
It's considerably cheaper than the Hoya one...
And I have a few 'couriers' going to US soon... ;p

Quick n00b question: K10D can do IR shots hor?

the "pan labyrinth" one that i took.. K10D...
hehehehhe

it's the PP that's killing moi...:bsmilie:
and the white balance..
and the exposure..
and the heat..
and the..
and..

but it's really great when u look at the pics u take via the cam..

Cool... Just wanna confirm before I spend actual cash on buying the filter.... :D

Never heard of the other filter, can ask the IR regulars, they've been in it much longer than me!

K10D can do IR shots, but ask Snowywolf, the metering is all screwed up, you need to way overexpose and use agaration. Also not very sensitive, requires exposures in the region of 20-30 seconds when K100D needs about 4-5 seconds, ISO 100 versus ISO 200 IIRC though.

Still gives pretty ok results though.. =) Also appears to have some focusing issues, though I'm not entirely sure on that; but nothing manual pre-focusing before putting the filter on won't solve. =)

Never heard of the other filter, can ask the IR regulars, they've been in it much longer than me!

K10D can do IR shots, but ask Snowywolf, the metering is all screwed up, you need to way overexpose and use agaration. Also not very sensitive, requires exposures in the region of 20-30 seconds when K100D needs about 4-5 seconds, ISO 100 versus ISO 200 IIRC though.

Still gives pretty ok results though.. =) Also appears to have some focusing issues, though I'm not entirely sure on that; but nothing manual pre-focusing before putting the filter on won't solve. =)

focusing problem not much of an issue.. actually, IR is way sharper.. think it's because of the longgggg exposure time....

i guess i just need to do the white balance well, then the rest of the stuff will not be too prominent when it comes to the shoot.. but thank goodness, i brought a 'auto calibrator' aka nightmare along..

HENG AHhhhhhHHHhh:sticktong

Thanks... I start looking around...
Ping you guys again for advice when I get hold of a filter... :D

IMGP0003aPP.jpg

::St. Andrew's Cathedral::
PP courtesy of Night:devil:mares

One more IR photo to share, been a while since I went back to Chinese Gardens for photography, especially IR. It's actually where I first started anyhow shooting with my P&S, hehe.

746475603_022bdbf9a3.jpg

One more IR photo to share, been a while since I went back to Chinese Gardens for photography, especially IR. It's actually where I first started anyhow shooting with my P&S, hehe.

746475603_022bdbf9a3.jpg

i like the way the pavilion is shot.
it's almost like it's situated somewhere in one of the province of China.:thumbsup:

surreal

IMGP00161PP.jpg

::HE who bares all the burdens of the world::

PP courtesy of night86mare:)

Just got hold of the filter....
Will try to do some shot this weekend... :D

Made an attempt this morning...
OMG! Lots of questions...

So you guys focus, compose, everything, the put on filter and meter and snap?
Cos after I put on filter, the only thing I can see in the viewfinder is the reflection of my eye...
Even pointing straight at sun yields a small red dot... :S

WB set auto can?

How to PP with Photooshop?
The pictures came out in red and black.
Is that supposed to be the case?

I just learnt that I need a new tripod...
The one I have (came free when my wife bought her prosumer 4-5 years ago) can't support the weight of K10D + Sigma 17-70 properly... :(
Looking at the PPCP one, cos it's within budget range and specs look pretty good...
Any other recommendations? TIA. :)

Yep, you must compose first, on tripod, focus should not be a problem, AF seems to work fine with IR on the K10D/K100D.

WB for best results, best to:

1) Fill your frame with green on a tripod - the greens must be grass/leaves in STRONG sunlight
2) Screw filter on
3) Dial in settings required for a properly exposed photograph (with the filter on, anyways, can always take a few test shots to get this)
4) Take custom WB

To PP in Photoshop, quite simple, but have to see what sort of WB you get first, Pentax so far doesn't really give the correct WB, which is why I always shoot in RAW, then select trees/leaves as grey point. If no trees/leaves then clouds will do.

In any case, you should get sepia toned images, you can leave it be, and to get a more duotone effect, can desaturate all blues using Hue/Saturation tool in PS. Then adjust Contrast/Shadows&Highlights to taste, pretty standard.

If you wish to get blue skies, then do an extra step anytime called a channel swap:

1) Open Channel Mixer
2) Red channel : Red 0 Green 0 Blue 100
3) Blue channel: Red 100 Green 0 Blue 0
4) Green channel: Red 50 Blue 50 Green 0 - this channel has more freedom, you can do whatever you want

If you do the channel mixer step before you desaturate the blues and don't wish to go back, you can now desaturate the reds/yellows.

It also depends a lot on what kind of IR you want, if you just want B&W, then can just desaturate and tone as per preference.

If you have any problems, feel free to post up your original image, I had experience shooting IR with improper WB (which is actually quite important) using my old Sony H2 in the past, so I can provide some alternatives to correcting IR images with improper WB. =)

Cheers! Glad to see one more IR person in Pentax. =)

I just learnt that I need a new tripod...
The one I have (came free when my wife bought her prosumer 4-5 years ago) can't support the weight of K10D + Sigma 17-70 properly... :(
Looking at the PPCP one, cos it's within budget range and specs look pretty good...
Any other recommendations? TIA. :)

Manfrotto 190 series and 488 series ballhead offers a good blend of value, quality & performance. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.