Full switch from DSLR to M43, anybody?

wonglp

Staff member
Jul 20, 2007
Bukit Batok
Just curious, I had sold my Olympus E620 for EPL1.
Reasons were:
1. Can't afford 2 camera bodies
2. E620, though a very gd camera, is really collecting dust and i just dun bring it out anymore with my pen
3. I'm no pro, no need do events, only time i have a need for speed is for my kids...just need to learn to anticipate a bit more, and do burst mode, hopefully one is good!
4. My wife actually use epl1 more than my e620 (due to weight)
5. Travel a lot for work, so it makes sense to carry light and small.
6. I am poisoned deeply by plethora of adapter & manual lenses choices,C,contax G, md, fd, om,...photography for me has never been that fun...:lovegrin:

Anybody has switched like me? curious:think:
share some thoughts pls

Last edited:
i switched to e-p2 with many reasons like yours from Canon DSLR.. n i love it~~

same here. was a canon dslr user. switch to m4/3 last year when GF1 came on board.:)
Have been shooting more as it's no more a chore to bring out.:lovegrin:
Just throw the gf1 into my kids diaper bag or just hang on my shoulder for long hrs without feeling the weight.

Last edited:
Hardly use my DSLR especially going out with family or on tour to Australia and Malaysia recently.
:heart: Like my GF1. :heart:
Looks, operate and small like a compact.
Feels and handles like a DSLR. Bigger sensor than compact, thus better picture.
Best it have nice video but heats up when record too long.
Yes, it can put in a smaller bag or the diaper bag when go out.:)

Hi, I switched to nex5 which shoots like a machine gun for panorama view, using one full long shutter press for exposure followed by repeating sound of shutter movements, thus losing more shutter counts, I suppose.

i'm S2 user, love it... use it everyday... switch to D40x, 3 years, seldom use it... dun like it's jpg output...
last month bought ep 1 n nikon adapter... love it's jpg... still keep my nikon lenses... i'm like just back from S2pro days again...
everyday shoot shoot shoot...

For me, it was primarily the weight, and still being able to use many of my legacy lenses. At the end, it was just spending more time in my dry cabinet than going out with me. My E-P2 goes everywhere with me now.

same situation, my PEN is my go-to camera now. 4/3 sitting in dry box, only for occasional use

despite it's not so good low light AF capabilities, I'm now leaning to use manual focus. now even planning to use primarily OM or Voigtlander primes

I'm total opposite of bro wonglp I've came from EPL1 and moved to E620.. I also dunno why I did the switch hehehe

Hi, I switched to nex5 which shoots like a machine gun for panorama view, using one full long shutter press for exposure followed by repeating sound of shutter movements, thus losing more shutter counts, I suppose.
oh yes, the sweep panoramic feature, very cool! wish i had that too, i would trade 1 art filter for that if i could:)

I'm total opposite of bro wonglp I've came from EPL1 and moved to E620.. I also dunno why I did the switch hehehe
haha, does it matter,bro? as long as you enjoy it, and take lotsa nice pictures, it's the best choice for u:D

Best it have nice video but heats up when record too long.
Yes, it can put in a smaller bag or the diaper bag when go out.:)
seldom use video, but really handy tool when u need it. i'm with u on the diaper bag:bsmilie:

I was using Canon dslr for a while. Then, everytime think of buying lenses. Canon has so many good lenses :)
Travelwise, will have to carry around a heavy bag. Was fun for a while, but later travel became more tiring.

When m43 arrives, found that it has comparable IQ and still gives me full control, minus the weight! True, AF is slower but for most times, I dun really need the lightning speed. For times when I need quick ACTION, can still use pre focus. So sold All my Canon gears and dived into m43.

Now I carry the cam around more often, even for casual gatherings. Friends are more at ease when I take pics.

Also, since m43 is still new and there's not many lenses yet, I will not BBB day in day out!

Last edited:
im quite dumb founded myself... i have canon, nikon, and my new GH1. each camera has its own purpose... although now i carry my GH1 everywhere i go... how?

since I got my D70 when it launched I'd been carrying it together with PEN most of the time. But as years go by, I've bring out the dslr lesser and lesser, until I upgraded the PEN and so far I've only bring out my dslr once this year

wow.. m4/3 really made our day eh~~ all happy m4/3 users.. hehehe

oh yes, the sweep panoramic feature, very cool! wish i had that too, i would trade 1 art filter for that if i could:)

haha, does it matter,bro? as long as you enjoy it, and take lotsa nice pictures, it's the best choice for u:D

seldom use video, but really handy tool when u need it. i'm with u on the diaper bag

yep bottom line is you're happy with you what you have then all good! so far no regrets hahaha

Let see if I have another overseas assignment then I will know if the decision I made :thumbsup: or :thumbsd::sweat: I have not tried travelling with E620 but I did tried bringing my EPL1 at Seoul during last assignment and it fits nicles in my laptop bag

I did the switch a couple of months back. I think I'm still not quite used to it (The lack of buttons and dial, the AF speed etc). But well, I'm not complaining. At least I'm bringing my camera out more often. And most importantly, no more aching shoulder. ;p

I am a Nikon user, before purchasing EPL1, I brought my D300 with 18-200mm for overseas trip. After I got my m43, my nikon kit has been hibernating in the dry box. I rarely use the DSLR setup, I opt to take the lighter M43. Recently I bought 14-150, I think I will even use Nikon less.

I am a Nikon user, before purchasing EPL1, I brought my D300 with 18-200mm for overseas trip. After I got my m43, my nikon kit has been hibernating in the dry box. I rarely use the DSLR setup, I opt to take the lighter M43. Recently I bought 14-150, I think I will even use Nikon less.

hehe yeah true last time I always bring my EPL1 to work just place it ina nice pouch and keep it inside my laptop bag with iether my 25mm f2.8 or 14-42 kit lens... now with E620 I'll need to bring my cam bag if i want to bring i to work...

There are nothing unusual about the switch.
Most of the non-professional photographers just need something better than a compact and less bulky than DSLR.
But they bought the DSLR because they are glueless about their actual needs.
Only when times went by will they realize their requirements.

I didnt do a full switch but for me, I use my GF1 more because it has an more intuitive video mode. If Nikon releases a new SLR e.g. D800 that has better AF during video recording, I would probably use it more.