Full switch from DSLR to M43, anybody?

Switched from 5D to GF1 and that made the trips much more enjoyable. The only thing I missed was the wide end of the 17-40L.

not that some are clueless, but before the pen/gf1 there was not much options available if you want a compact camera that performs and outputs close to a dslr... save for the sigma DPs and leica compacts which are quite pricey, you'd be better off getting an entry-level dslr

not that some are clueless, but before the pen/gf1 there was not much options available if you want a compact camera that performs and outputs close to a dslr... save for the sigma DPs and leica compacts which are quite pricey, you'd be better off getting an entry-level dslr

What you said is true, but there are also many who bought a DSLR instead of a pen/gf1 after it become availiable is because they are influence by sales people or friends instead of studying their own requirements.

What you said is true, but there are also many who bought a DSLR instead of a pen/gf1 after it become availiable is because they are influence by sales people or friends instead of studying their own requirements.

whatever, all can take good photos if used properly.

well if i could afford it, i'd want a M9. but need to wake up to reality, or queue up for toto hehe

i'm sort of considering selling off all my canon gear and purely use the m4/3 platform as well.....

very tempting...but i have an emotional attachment to my 5DII and lens collection hehe.....

If the m4/3 comes out with more fast primes, and faster telephoto zooms, the decision will be much easier!

some called the PEN as poor man leica ;)
if the pictures works for us, it's any man's leica ;p
I'm easily satisfied and sometimes that's a virtue:)

Hi folks,
I started with a Lumix GF-1 and after 3 months I changed to a Lumix G-1.
My reason is, as a first time dSLR or rather system camera user, I got a bit more serious and find that looking through a built in view finder is much more fun, at the expense of more bulk.
I chose the G-1 because it has an articulated LCD (which is very good for difficult angle shots); quite cheap; quite light and smaller than a normal DSLR.
The lenses are less than half the weight of normal DSLR lenses. When I changed over, I already had the 17mm pancake; 45-200mm and 7-14mm lenses. So I can still use all the lenses for the G-1. After 7 months to date with the G-1, I am quite happy with it.
Cheers.
LEW

Switched from 5D to GF1 and that made the trips much more enjoyable. The only thing I missed was the wide end of the 17-40L.
pany 7-14mm probably can't compare with the L lens, but the portability is prob biggest strength, or the cheaper less wide 9-18?

i'm sort of considering selling off all my canon gear and purely use the m4/3 platform as well.....

very tempting...but i have an emotional attachment to my 5DII and lens collection hehe.....

If the m4/3 comes out with more fast primes, and faster telephoto zooms, the decision will be much easier!
more primes are coming soon, faster tele not so sure. good to see full frame users appreciating the m43 useability:thumbsup:

Hi folks,
My reason is, as a first time dSLR or rather system camera user, I got a bit more serious and find that looking through a built in view finder is much more fun, at the expense of more bulk.
I chose the G-1 because it has an articulated LCD (which is very good for difficult angle shots); quite cheap; quite light and smaller than a normal DSLR.

LEW
good point & choice bro, glad that works well for u. i actually tried the G1 VF is actually very good at low light, the Pen VF2 flickers alot at fluorescent & low lights, and the articulate screen can be very useful for hi & low points. i really miss this feature after i sold my e620. thanks for sharing!

i was a pentax K* user.

when i was climbing the Diamond Head in Hawaii, and walking along the night strips of Las Vegas, i said to myself "i won't be carrying this heavy dslr anymore, i swear.!

so i bought a Pen. For me, Pen is a pain killer. :)

i was a pentax K* user.

when i was climbing the Diamond Head in Hawaii, and walking along the night strips of Las Vegas, i said to myself "i won't be carrying this heavy dslr anymore, i swear.!

so i bought a Pen. For me, Pen is a pain killer. :)

You mean Pen is Pen-nador :bsmilie:

pany 7-14mm probably can't compare with the L lens,

any backing for your statement? :think:

7-14 panny is the cheapest rectilinear zoom lens that can be sharp wide open and so far only "prime rectilinear lens" in L terms is probably better than it. In terms of pricing, it is damn cheap to have it for 1.5k and will be comparatively more expensive if you buy similar lenses in other brands.

any backing for your statement? :think:

7-14 panny is the cheapest rectilinear zoom lens that can be sharp wide open and so far only "prime rectilinear lens" in L terms is probably better than it. In terms of pricing, it is damn cheap to have it for 1.5k and will be comparatively more expensive if you buy similar lenses in other brands.

in terms of speed, the L lenses would be faster at f2.8, dun need that for outdoor landscape, for interior shot, 1 stop can be useful w/o tripod, and coupled with 5d, higher iso shots would be better than 7-14. as for optically, no backing coz i dun own either, that's why i mentioned "probably";)

in terms of pricing & portability, surely i would agree if not, i won't have sold off my e620. yet "damn cheap" is always relative, i can only afford a non-rectilinear 9-18 at this moment, and it works for me, at least i can put filters on it ;p

in terms of speed, the L lenses would be faster at f2.8, dun need that for outdoor landscape, for interior shot, 1 stop can be useful w/o tripod, and coupled with 5d, higher iso shots would be better than 7-14. as for optically, no backing coz i dun own either, that's why i mentioned "probably";)

in terms of pricing & portability, surely i would agree if not, i won't have sold off my e620. yet "damn cheap" is always relative, i can only afford a non-rectilinear 9-18 at this moment, and it works for me, at least i can put filters on it ;p

:think: you are not really comparing apple to apple, orange to orange. Since all of us have different definition of what is good then probably just buy the lenses that take the cut for you then have fun using it.

Im contemplating if i shld switch since i have gotten a few m mount lens for my voigtlander..but one just argue tat u get more power shooting landscape on a dslr than on a micro 4/3..

The day tat a m4/3 can exceed my expectation over a dslr on landscape pics, i will change it. Now im thinkin if i shld just get one for myself as a backup cam:)

Im contemplating if i shld switch since i have gotten a few m mount lens for my voigtlander..but one just argue tat u get more power shooting landscape on a dslr than on a micro 4/3..

The day tat a m4/3 can exceed my expectation over a dslr on landscape pics, i will change it. Now im thinkin if i shld just get one for myself as a backup cam:)

Not sure what you meant by "power" .... with equivalent (note NOT similar) focal length lenses and sensor size no reason why m43 can't take as good or even better pics than equivalent dSLR.

pany 7-14mm probably can't compare with the L lens, but the portability is prob biggest strength, or the cheaper less wide 9-18?

more primes are coming soon, faster tele not so sure. good to see full frame users appreciating the m43 useability:thumbsup:

good point & choice bro, glad that works well for u. i actually tried the G1 VF is actually very good at low light, the Pen VF2 flickers alot at fluorescent & low lights, and the articulate screen can be very useful for hi & low points. i really miss this feature after i sold my e620. thanks for sharing!

m4/3 with tele is only good for slow subjects. For birders, still better to use DSLR because there is a slight lag in liveview and it's near impossible to find the bird in the frame when focus is off because of the shallow DoF associated with tele lenses.

Landscape from E-P1 for reference. No post processing. No in-camera settings adjustment. JPEGS from camera. Use lens: CV 40mm F1.4.

4843320318_f2167b6497.jpg

4843308632_ecede0a102.jpg