Fujifilm X-E1 User Group

xLioneLx

Nov 19, 2009
Singapore
Hi all! I thought of starting a user group so that its easier to ask any questions about the camera here for everyone!

Actually I have some problems so I thought of asking here first before I go down to Fujifilm service centre..

I bought the X-E1 about 2 weeks back .. didn't take it out to shoot pictures yet coz too busy with sch work.. I only played with it at home a few times, snapping pictures here and there ..

anyone noticed that the EVF kind of change brightness to like something darker then turn brighter again when you half press the shutter button and autofocus? is this normal?

also, the blur indicator keeps appearing and I don't know how to make it go away. I read the manual, it says either lens dirty or my hands shaking but it cant be dirty coz its a new set and I checked the lens for dust alr and I don't see any .. I tried putting the camera on table to take picture but the blur indicator still appears .. anyone know the problem? I set my shutter speed to "A" and aperture to "A" also alr .. This is a picture of my LCD screen showing the blur indicator with the settings.. This is my first camera and I am really noob .. so hope you all can help me .. thanks in advance!

photodzo.jpg

perhaps uploading a picture taken with my X-E1 will help to see if there is any problems .. this picture is taken with the blur indicator .. btw, I changed the focus area to the "nokia" word ..

dsf0076.jpg

Last edited:
By setting both shutter and aperture to A you are using program mode indicated by the "P" at the lower left.

The blur indicator is telling you it's at too low of a shutter speed (1/4s) and may result in a blur shot given that your maximum aperture of f/2.8 isn't sufficient to give a shutter speed suitable for your focal length. I am assuming you are using the 18-55 lens because your program mode is already at f/2.8 which is the maximum your lens goes to.

The only way to remove the sign is to raise your ISO (or you can set it to AUTO ISO) to roughly 1600 or 3200 then the warning sign should disappear. Otherwise go outside in good light and test it again and you should notice it wouldn't be there.

hey! thanks for the fast reply!

yes! I am using the 18-55 zoom lens .. I thought using the P mode, the camera will adjust the aperture and shutter speed automatically to make it "not blur"?

I can see that I can set the setting to AUTOISO 200, 400, etc .. if I set it at AUTOISO1600, does it mean that it will automatically choose which ISO for me up to 1600 max?

pardon me for my newbie questions ..

hey! thanks for the fast reply!

yes! I am using the 18-55 zoom lens .. I thought using the P mode, the camera will adjust the aperture and shutter speed automatically to make it "not blur"?

I can see that I can set the setting to AUTOISO 200, 400, etc .. if I set it at AUTOISO1600, does it mean that it will automatically choose which ISO for me up to 1600 max?

pardon me for my newbie questions ..

Yes. If u set to auto iso with max 1600, the camera with choose the range from ur lower limit to 1600 ur higher limit so that ur shutter speed will not be too slow.

Yes the P mode will try it's best to set it so it won't blur but the maximum aperture of your lens is f/2.8 so it cannot allow the shutter to go any faster without underexposing the photo. Hence, it will show the "blur" warning.

As mentioned already, the ISO number following AUTO is the max ISO your camera will use in that AUTO ISO mode.

I see! okay!

btw, I brought my camera out into brighter environment and the blur indicator is gone too.

thanks a lot for advice everyone! :)

Sry, 2 more questions:
1) the auto sensor cleaning everytime I switch off the camera, actually is it advisable to have this function switched on? coz im afraid if there is any wear and tear ..
2) what time of lens cleaning kit should I use for my lens? the Fuji lens fluid and lens paper? where to buy?

I see! okay!

btw, I brought my camera out into brighter environment and the blur indicator is gone too.

thanks a lot for advice everyone! :)

Sry, 2 more questions:
1) the auto sensor cleaning everytime I switch off the camera, actually is it advisable to have this function switched on? coz im afraid if there is any wear and tear ..
2) what time of lens cleaning kit should I use for my lens? the Fuji lens fluid and lens paper? where to buy?

1) fuji dun build anything which spoil after few usage. so far i have not heard of sensor cleaning mechanism not working.
2) forget abt lens tissue or fuild. just get a lenspen or a proper lens cloth. the latter can last years and washable. for me, i use a lens hood to prevent fingerprint/

1) I think it should be fine switched on. There's not much risk of it to stop working.

2) I usually use a lenspen and rocket blower for 99% of the time. I also leave the filters on my lens permanently so I don't worry about scratching the lens while cleaning.

A good microfiber cloth + isopropyl alcohol will remove any extra dirt/grime that a lenspen would not remove so easily. I usually go for schneider optics lens cloth.

Hi everyone,

I have just received my XE-1, my first mirrorless cam and hopefully it could replace my Nikon.

So far, I am quite happy with it, except for the AF which I have missed several shots during my family trip to USS recently. Next, sharpness is also another issue, but I think it is me who need to sort it out. I have seen beautiful pictures with the cam so it definitely the Indian and not the arrow. :)

Now i have a question on the ISO. May I ask how the ISO performance you guys have experienced?

I read from some forum that the ISO performance is consider good (but I am not too sure to what expectation). I have tried taking some photos in a restaurant (sat in where area is slightly low light), thus I have to pump my ISO to 1600 in order to get a good shutter speed (without the blur warning) but the shot turn out to be quite noisy. Sharpness is greatly affected, which I am quite disappointed.

I am wondering if we could share and discuss how to take nice and beautiful low lighted photo with this cam and I believe there is always a way out.

Thanks for viewing...

Hi.

Maybe you can post a picture and also share the settings that you have used..

Then we know your expectations when it comes to the noise..

Everyone's tolerance to noise is different. Its more critical to find out what is your tolerance level is and work with it. At times, a noisy photo is better than no photo at all. You can also adopt noise reduction software in post.

DSCF1660_zps78797a9a.jpg

this is a picture i took at the night safari while waiting for the tram..
this was taken with the 18mm F2 @ ISO3200..

is it considered noisy to you?
personally i find it acceptable..

DSCF1660_zps78797a9a.jpg

this is a picture i took at the night safari while waiting for the tram..
this was taken with the 18mm F2 @ ISO3200..

is it considered noisy to you?
personally i find it acceptable..

nope. it's acceptable. same for the xpro1 iso at 3200 is acceptable. so not sure what he means unless he post a pic. wonder what image quality he is shooting on.

nope. it's acceptable. same for the xpro1 iso at 3200 is acceptable. so not sure what he means unless he post a pic. wonder what image quality he is shooting on.

the only thing unacceptable to me will be the thighs on the bottom left corner of the picture.. :bsmilie:

an SOOC jpeg only resized..
to show Rc311 how clean ISO3200 can be..

hi vengels, thanks for your reply, your picture is much better than mine. I will post my picture in a short while.

hi vengels, thanks for your reply, your picture is much better than mine. I will post my picture in a short while.

what is your image quality?

test by rc311, on Flickr

Settings: 1/9 ƒ/2.8 ISO 1250 18 mm.

Picture taken as raw format.

Btw, it was the 18-55mm lens.

Last edited:

test by rc311, on Flickr

Settings: 1/9 ƒ/2.8 ISO 1250 18 mm.

Picture taken as raw format.

Btw, it was the 18-55mm lens.

i assume this is a cropped image @ 100%..

it looks pretty decent..

maybe you can take another shot and post it up here..

quite difficult to see how clean/ noisy the overall image is..