Fuji S601z

Status
Not open for further replies.

xdivider

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Was shopping ard in orchard when i stumbled across quite a few shops selling the fuji S601z. One quoted me $1000 with 128MB SM and another $890 w/o GST bare. Is this a good deal? I was tempted to buy but decided to wait until I can see a review of the camera versus others in its class. Is there anyone that has done such a review yet?

Yep, that's the one. Juz nice to bring ard in a pouch and takes 640x480 movies. All I need now is some reviews of the camera and its image quality. But the iso 1600 is only for the lower res setting i think.

Err, are u sure you saw the correct one? I think this camera is not even available in the states, and it is supposed to be available in June 2002. And the prices you were quoted are too incredibly low...sounds too good to be true.

Sorry to be suggesting this, but did you mistake it for the 6900Z? They do have some similarities....

And the actual model is S602Z, not S601Z.

Please confirm the above, cos actually, I am planning and saving up for this cam...thanks!

S601z is the successor to 6800Z while the S602 is the successor to 6900Z. I think S602 supposed to be out after April.

nope, they're referring to the F601Z, the replacement for 6800. I saw it at MS Color just now.

Originally posted by xdivider
S601z is the successor to 6800Z while the S602 is the successor to 6900Z. I think S602 supposed to be out after April.

I see I see...I think it's F601z, not S. I saw the S and I thought you were referring to the S602z. :) Thanks for the info anyway!

Originally posted by mpenza

Me too!!! :)

really? Great!!
was thinking of D30, but thought that is too great a leap, especially for my bank account. :)

btw, we always seem to go for the same cameras huh, did you realise? :D

Originally posted by Tweek

really? Great!!
was thinking of D30, but thought that is too great a leap, especially for my bank account. :)

btw, we always seem to go for the same cameras huh, did you realise? :D

;p we're like big zoom with lots of manual controls after getting initital ones with 3x zoom and few :)

Originally posted by Tweek

I see I see...I think it's F601z, not S. I saw the S and I thought you were referring to the S602z. :) Thanks for the info anyway!

Opps, think u r right. I never did paid attention to the letter in front :D.

Ya, i saw them side by side. I'm not sure whether this price is due to the promotion or they are really trying to phase out the 6800. If its only for promotion then I may want to get it before they revise the pricing. The only question now is which one is better, this or the Canon S30 as my needs are very compact size, good night ability and preferrably good movie ability.

The F601Z is not as good as the S30 for night ability (only 3s shutter) but might be sufficient depending on your needs.

I would say it's a good compact camera. I've used the "grandfather", the 4700Z and like the handling of the camera. Only regrets is the limited zoom and the lack of manual controls.

Well, the main night shots I want to take are those like Vegas nightlife which i botched up with my old digicam last time. I read that this one has the full set of aperture and shutter priority settings which makes it tempting given its small size and shape. I always did like the non-conventional Porsche design.

hmm... if it really have aperture priority and shutter priority capture modes as listed at dpreview, go for it!!!

some other shortcomings I could think of (they might not be important to you): limited macro mode (20cm min focussing distance), inability to add on filters/lens, slow at full tele (F4.5)

Hmm, is the 20cm macro still a problem if u can use the zoom with it?

Originally posted by xdivider
Hmm, is the 20cm macro still a problem if u can use the zoom with it?

when you zoom, you have to be a bit further away than 20cm. that's the experience I've got with the 4700Z. it might be different now.

but generally speaking, it's good enough unless you want to take close-up shots of insects.

Status
Not open for further replies.