Friends see me as camera rental

If a girl (that we like) ask borrow a lens from us guys, I think most of us will have no choice but to agree :(

Noooooo NEVER lent your lens to a girl you like!!!

Tell her you'll help her to shoot, that way you can spend time with ere mah ;)

I like this suggestion!
If your friends see you as camera rental, let them pay for the rental, if they don't want to pay, they'll back away.
I may lend a lens but not the body. Anyway this will depend on who's borrowing.

yqt said:

I like this idea. You Help her shoot how? Help her manual focus and click hands-on? :p

I like this idea. You Help her shoot how? Help her manual focus and click hands-on? :p

show her how to put her hands on your zoom lens, how to zoom it and how to make it work ;)

tumblr_m1mj33mv2c1r9s8bf.png

kei1309 said:
show her how to put her hands on your zoom lens, how to zoom it and how to make it work ;)

If you know what i mean. Made me laugh 4 oclock in the morning.

Everybody is ignorant. Except that they are ignorant about different things.

Your friends think highly of you.

Never ask them to pay camera rental rate. You should not turn them down. One of these days, much later in life - one of the people who borrow the camera from you may be in a position to do you a big favour; or determine something that affects you greatly. I'm not kidding. Don't be so money grubbing and calculative. It pays rich dividends to be slightly generous.

same thoughts here... true friends are worth more than equipment.

Friends or relatives, depends on how much I value & trust them over my gears. If I know them well & trust their sense of responsibilty & competence, I do not have the slightest hesitation to lend the gears to them, & I dont need to know why or what they need them for. If casual friends, 'false' friends aka parasites/sponges/cheapos, pure & simple answer is NO. Its the same for lending money or other valuables/precious possessions. Real friends would know the limits & probably the answer even before asking :) To me cameras are but just equipments that are meant to be used & can be easily replaced, but true friends are hard to find & may never be replaced.

Actually I also feel that it's kinda awkward to say no to friends who want to lend my camera, especially if they are my close friends.

yup... I'll lend to good friends, but to cheapos, I'll just say no.

dSLR is really more robust that most of us could imagine. And I dun worry about lens damage. We protect the front element with a filter

yup, for those worried about damage to equipment, DSLR is generally pretty tough. can't say the same for lenses... if I'm lending, I might just put my cheaper lens on e.g. 18-55 kit (this possible because I avoid letting everybody know I have some of the more expensive lenses--e.g. I won't post a picture of the lens on Facebook for everyone to see).