Friends see me as camera rental

As long as it comes back the same condition i pass to him, else he don't need return back the current equipment. (he just have to find an exact same one or better condition)

I have equipment which i don't mind borrowing, but i warn them the above phrase as i explain some of my equipment took me months to find them online. My ef 80-200mm f2.8l took me close to a year to see someone selling it at a decent price. (There isn't 1 except spare parts on ebay the last time i search it) My pentax asahi ghostless filter which might not worth more than 20usd took me more than a year before one appear on ebay!

If your friend returns your camera in condition that u think is improper, how are u going to blame your friend and ask for replacement?

A friend asked me to lend him my dslr cos he wanted to shoot airshow. I asked him why need dslr? He say shoots nicer picture *facepalm*. The more i dont want to lend him. My all rounder lens is also L lens... My god... Feel like knocking his head with my 70-200... I really got speechless over his phone call, lol

Do a demo and point out where are some of the cosmatic and function issue you have on the equipment before handling to them. Expect no more than those issue you show when taking back the equipment. Warn and warn them about taking care of your equipment. Being friends, you lend them your equipment in the trust that you believe that they will take good care of it. So you shouldn't be a pushover when it returns back damaged, if you find them being pricky or whiny, you have the right to show anger (in speech).

276477_243448942340229_6806799_n.jpg

Like many members already said,

Just say "No", it is so simple and effective.

IF they still asking again,

just ask them; "Which part of No you don't understand?"

Ever have ignorant friends who overrate a dslr and want to borrow it from you? How do you turn them down nicely? Ask them pay camera rental rate, lol... Those people ah...

friends see you as camera rental, you see them as rental customers, or friends? :)

You READ this article it teaches you how to SAY NO effectively and righteously without guilt!

m.guardian.co.uk

You go read!!!

Prajna said:
Ever have ignorant friends who overrate a dslr and want to borrow it from you? How do you turn them down nicely? Ask them pay camera rental rate, lol... Those people ah...

I'm sure alot of ppl already advised u not to lend.

My advice is to think about your equipment. How much are you prepared in case of damage or lost.

When u lend something to someone, always be mentally prepared for the worst situation. If you are not mentally prepared for the worst, don't lend.

Lend or not, it's a personal choice. Many ppl say don't lend, but there are ppl who are willing to lend. Why? Coz those ppl willing to lend, they are always mentally prepared for the worst situation

Actually I also feel that it's kinda awkward to say no to friends who want to lend my camera, especially if they are my close friends.

i used this line once it worked like a dream

"No sorry, nothing personal, but I dont lend my camera equiptment to ANYBODY .... if there is ANYTHING ELSE that I have that you would like to borrow its NOT a problem ...... eg cash, my car , my mother-in-law , my family jewels, my condo BBQ pit, my country club swimming pool , Esprit discount card etc etc etc "

catchlights said:
Like many members already said,

Just say "No", it is so simple and effective.

IF they still asking again,

just ask them; "Which part of No you don't understand?"

Haha, i know but its kinda rude considering they ask me nicely. Easier to say no to drugs.

ed9119 said:
i used this line once it worked like a dream

"No sorry, nothing personal, but I dont lend my camera equiptment to ANYBODY .... if there is ANYTHING ELSE that I have that you would like to borrow its NOT a problem ...... eg cash, my car , my mother-in-law , my family jewels, my condo BBQ pit, my country club swimming pool , Esprit discount card etc etc etc "

This is the answer im looking for, lol.

wootsk said:
As long as it comes back the same condition i pass to him, else he don't need return back the current equipment. (he just have to find an exact same one or better condition)

I have equipment which i don't mind borrowing, but i warn them the above phrase as i explain some of my equipment took me months to find them online. My ef 80-200mm f2.8l took me close to a year to see someone selling it at a decent price. (There isn't 1 except spare parts on ebay the last time i search it) My pentax asahi ghostless filter which might not worth more than 20usd took me more than a year before one appear on ebay!

Now that reminds me, my friend wanted to borrow my dslr for airshow, then i think of my own setup, 17 40 and 70 200, leaving primes at home. If i lend him my dslr, what lens should i lend him? He only have the word dslr in his head...

Some of the English here is mixed up and misused.

borrow

lend

ricohflex said:
Some of the English here is mixed up and misused.

borrow

lend

Serious? O.O all along i thought borrow is when someone is getting something. Lend is when someone is giving something. Im not the best at english, haha

simply put. if your friend decides to sever ties with you over a camera which you wouldn't lend, it speaks about how much that friend values you and your friendship

simply put. if your friend decides to sever ties with you over a camera which you wouldn't lend, it speaks about how much that friend values you and your friendship

May I remind everyone what Lao Zhi who never owns a camera says:

"Camera can buy but friendship cannot."

kei1309 said:

Good point. I have the right to reject them and they can have immature thinking to "sever ties" with us. Its my gear that i researched, saved up for, walked all over shops to find it, took care of. Camera over friends? They should have that question in their head too.