Fradulent Retailers @ SimLim Square....Beware!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgot to share.

When a friend bought the sigma lens, One shops at the corner (exit/entrance) on the same side as Alan Photo, showed us the price list. The price list of sigma has 'published price' (highest), 'some other price (medium), 'shop price' (lowest).

He told us, they use the shop price and add $20 for margin. He believed him and he paid S$ 780 for it.... When we said we want to think about it, he didn't let us leave the shop saying that he already purchase the lens from other shop. We can't even leave the shop to withdraw money. I started to become suspicious when he did that and he started to drop the price to S$750. I thought you only have margin 20$? but now he is absorbing nets and giving extra filter and also lower down the price. I then asked Edison Shop, they quoted 695 just like MS Color.

I settled for Tamron 90mm Macro from Alan foto, met a good salesperson and was a satisfactory deal.

Moral of Story: The shops have very convincing way thinking that you get the best price.

I would file a dispute with credit card company. Certain Amex card carries a full refund policy (Platinum Charge card), where Amex will refund 100% if your store won't provide a refund. Even without such protection, you can always dispute the charge.

I am upset SLS still do this kind of trick. I had been been a good candidate buying my first digital camera 7 years ago, but I left the shop and ignore it.

Recently a friend of mine bought Sigma 105 macro lens too from one of this 'well known' dealers. He quoted $780 - Best Best Best price.... Left the store, called MS Color and Edison, it's only $696

When going to SLS, do your homework. Always go only to good retailers...

the moral of the story is to always go to our regular shops, nowhere else.

i feel for TS, and i sinceely feel that you should go to the police for they threatened you.

i would have made a hell of a scene if i were you.

Just to all those reading this, remember, next time before you separate with your money, always take out your camera phone and start recording . this was somethign i learnt from my police friend , best to go in pairs, so that your buddy can do the recording

Anyone who wants to do a sting operation or trap for these shops? :)

Another suggestion is to print out this thread, stand outside their shop, and start distributing it to their customers :) :)

Another suggestion is to print out this thread, stand outside their shop, and start distributing it to their customers :) :)

Wah...declaring war... Later no chance leaving SLS alive...hahaha...:bsmilie:

Dangerous operation. Need back-up and reinforcement. :)

Next time, just bring a small voice recorder, but it in your shirt pocket, walk-in to the shop and record the whole transaction/ conversation. :angry:

Those bast***s.... all of them should go fly kite.

Sad to hear another victim of SLS's many unscrupulous photo retailers. I was nearly a victim of their bullying tactics a few years ago when shopping around for my 1st dSLR on the notorious ground floor of SLS.

After some bargaining, I agreed on the final price and the boss began to prepare the invoice. I didn't agree to buy any other accessories and when I asked a few more questions on warranties, etc. he turned rude and answered back sarcastically in a raised voice. I got fed-up and retorted how rude he was, etc. making sure the other customers in the shop at that time could hear me well. I just walked out of the shop without any purchase but only the dagger-like glare of the boss behind my back.

DOs and DON'Ts: Do stand your ground. Don't be cowed by hard-sell tactics. Do know your rights. Do check and double-check your purchase. Don't hand over your cash or credit cards till all checks are done. Better still, don't patronage those shops anymore. Do highlight the 'black shops' so that we can blacklist them here.

"FocusPoint Electronics Pte Ltd (#01-4B) at Sim Lim Square" <Double-Noted !!>

Hi All,

Thanks so much for all the guidance from many of you on this thread. Also I learnt a lot from the sharing each of you have come-up over here. Sorry for my delayed reponse, I am travelling. But before I left for my trip, I ensured to make a complaint to CASE. Looking forward to hearing from them soon.

Yeah, like somebody pointed out, I was also analyzing the same thought - the shops on level 1 & 2 are really the black holes.... In the past I did buy quite a few computer accessories from stores in level 3 & 4 and did not ever encounter such instance. Also all these shops on level 1 & 2 are very closely networked with each other & work in a very organized syndicate. I really feel pity for those thousands of tourists who come there with great hopes that Singapore is very safe & attractive for shopping.....atleast this does not hold good for SLS. I have am gonna tell each & every of my friends / relatives who plan to shop for electronics etc "DO NOT BUY ANYTING AT SLS...JUST DO WINDOW SHOPPING" IF YOU WANT TO REALLY BUY...BUT FROM REPUTED RETAILERS....THEY ARE AS COMPETITIVE, GIVE GOOD SERVICE & STAND TO CERTAIN ETHICS IN BUSINESS"

Thanks to all of you for sharing your experience on this thread. I will keep you all posted when I hear something from CASE.

Go to if you are a Causasian tourist. You will be amazed how CASE can help you resolve the problems for the reputation of Singapore as a tourist paradise is at stake.

For your current problem, time is of the essence but like what some bro says,

4. Then go to CASE, apply membership and lodge complaint.

Moral of the story:

Don't buy from the sleazy outfits in Sim Lim Square L1/L2 staffed with Changi chalet regulars.

Also all these shops on level 1 & 2 are very closely networked with each other & work in a very organized syndicate.

Their mode of operation is 1 boss, many shops with different names, thats why they are so organised. :bsmilie:

How I know, becoz I encountered a white hair uncle b4 that give me a real "unforgettable" exp in a shop on first floor, nearly buy an item but decided to back out. Few weeks later, he appear at another shop on the 2nd floor. Subsequently he appear at the 3rd shop too...

Waa...another sad story, i had an ex-staff that used to work in SLS many years back .Heres what i know from him. Those sales ppl there have no basic pay work is base on "coms" and paid out per day. So they can go to anyshop that offer them with the bigger cut of sales. And for the" old birds " most of them had been in n out of small court all the time! so guys you have to be really carefull when you plan to shop there. Must do homework and better to go in pairs !! :thumbsup:

So sorry to hear this. Makes me really furious. That shop has a reputation of such things lah. I had an experience also there few years back when I wanted to buy a DSLR. Luckily I did all the homework before going there. They still almost managed to cheat me. When they quoted me the price they didnt mention gst. When I was about to pay then say started adding all sorts of prices. I just put my card back into my wallet and walked out. Bought my dslr from Alan Photo and went past that shop to show it off.. :bsmilie:

Since then every time I go sim lim I go there to check the price of some lens, just for fun. Last time I checked the price for Nikon 50mm 1.8f. They quoted me $200 I started laughing and said you give me such price I cant talk anymore. They immediately reduce the price to $160 as I walk out of the store. I never buy camera accessory from any shop but AP in Sim Lim. AP is quite reliable.

Good thing that you registered a complaint. Cant let such thieves thrive.

Good thing u lodged a complaint dude.....

Anyways, your plight reminds me of my uncle's experience a year ago

I had an uncle who bought his 1st DSLR, a 400D kit, from that EXACT shop a year ago. He was quoted $1250 which was quite good a price at that time and decided to buy it only for the shop owner to top up an additional Tokina 58mm filter at $45 :sticktong "special price" and my uncle being a complete newbie at that time accepted it thinking it was normal. Only after he came home and bragged about his bargain did he realise he was conned of 30 plus bucks..........

The feeling of being cheated? $30......but the experience that comes with it? PRICELESS ;)

Moral of Story: The shops have very convincing way thinking that you get the best price.

Just to add on to this point, while some shops convince you that you are getting the best price, there are also shops which bad mouths other shops. This is my experience:

I did my homework, called a couple of shops got a price range for the item I wanted. When I happened to pass by a camera shop, I decided to go in to get a quote.

After getting the quote (higher than the rest), I responded by saying that other shops were actually much cheaper. My intention was that IF they were willing to match the price, I will just buy from this shop, since it is more convenient.

Their respond was that:

1. The price that I told them is actually their cost price (this is probably b.s.), so they cannot sell at this price.
2. The other shops do not have stock.
3. The other shops do not have the agent warranty.
4. The other shops may have taken things out.

I responded by walking out of the shop. I did this because the other shops that I got the quotes from were reputable shops and am certain that 1-4 are not true.

My point:
Even if you do your homework, some shops will psycho you by badmouthing other shops.

Any NSF/NSman/VSC police officers? if not, we can repeat this scenario and arrest the guy on the spot for threathening.

It wil be cool to see them talk so big, once warrant card come out, arrest them, all become like worm, then ask them how they want to "take care of us outside".

i think you can file a complain to the shop.its ridiculous.i was also in a bad situation when i bought my nikon s600 a few wks back.but luckily i checked the prices on the newspaper before oing to Sim Lim or else wld have been cheated too.i went to the first floor shop n the guy told me it'll cost $420 which is ok for me le.den i browsed ard for a better price.another shop told me $550ish.which is super ridiculous coz it costs $499.so yar.i tink he wanted to get a high price for me as im a student.mus do research before going to these kind of places n be prepared to bargain:)

TS, are you a tourist? If so, contact the Singapore Tourism Board regarding this. I believe you will get a quicker response. And definitely post a dispute with Amex.

Status
Not open for further replies.