Foveon X3 sensor user thread

Yes! to a very large extent that we can't even get the original sigma accessories from a single local shop!

Hey artbox, try Parasilk or Cathay, but must pre-order i think..
Tq SaveDqueen... are they selling the Ori or 3rd party batt? ;)
I almost want to order from Ebay..;p

Its really good to see this thread!
I kinda regret after selling my SD14, miss those colours and smooth B&W tones. Hoping for SD15 prices to come down or the release of the SD1 ..yum!

I don't have the best of experience with the local support, that kinda prompted me to move on from Sigma.

Why did you sell the SD14? Is the camera no good that you require frequent support.

As observed by many users, the ISO performance beyond 400 is a let down, coupled with low light performance, it made me think hard about using the SD14 in situations I'll find myself shooting in. These were the main issues for me, outdoor use in general use I have no complaints at all!

I bought the camera used, was conned by the previous owner, believeing parallel imports are supported by the authorised distributor, that the lens were checked by them before etc. NOT TRUE as I found out! Took a bit of persuading (gotta pay a servicing fee) before they took in my camera and 2 lenses to check for calibration - just wanted to be sure cause I had some soft shots which may be my handling. Anyhow, after a few days, I picked it up, was told how "not to focus" being explained phase focusing, concluding finally that everything is within specs - what that means huh? Its like acknowledging "that it is not the best, but within our acceptable performance envelope".

I use it some more and then decided I'll move on.

I agree that the SPP4 software is really nice, but some forumers felt SPP3 gives better B&W conversion. Do visit Carl Ryterffalk blog, big inspiration for me!

Oh, I have the M42 to SD adaptor still ...cant decide if I shouold part with it or wait for the SD15/SD1 ..:)

Tq SaveDqueen... are they selling the Ori or 3rd party batt? ;)
I almost want to order from Ebay..;p

Hey, i would really recommend ordering it from ebay, faster and similar price.:thumbsup:

I ordered a adapter from Parasilk, and for one month no news nothing after i confirmed the order with them..:dunno: not sure about 3rd party as they only told me about original batt.

until one day i ordered from ebay. Its much better and you have all the acces available, except for the original leather case i think, i think lotsa bro here would agree that ebay is the best choice.:bsmilie:

As observed by many users, the ISO performance beyond 400 is a let down, coupled with low light performance, it made me think hard about using the SD14 in situations I'll find myself shooting in. These were the main issues for me, outdoor use in general use I have no complaints at all!

I bought the camera used, was conned by the previous owner, believeing parallel imports are supported by the authorised distributor, that the lens were checked by them before etc. NOT TRUE as I found out! Took a bit of persuading (gotta pay a servicing fee) before they took in my camera and 2 lenses to check for calibration - just wanted to be sure cause I had some soft shots which may be my handling. Anyhow, after a few days, I picked it up, was told how "not to focus" being explained phase focusing, concluding finally that everything is within specs - what that means huh? Its like acknowledging "that it is not the best, but within our acceptable performance envelope".

I use it some more and then decided I'll move on.

I agree that the SPP4 software is really nice, but some forumers felt SPP3 gives better B&W conversion. Do visit Carl Ryterffalk blog, big inspiration for me!

Oh, I have the M42 to SD adaptor still ...cant decide if I shouold part with it or wait for the SD15/SD1 ..:)

Thanks. I almost bought a SD14 for US$400 on eBay. I have wanted to convert the mount to OM since I have some OM lenses. Then I read about the green spot issue. I also did a comparison of the rendering with my Kodak SLR/c and found it nowhere near. So dropped the idea but it does comes back to haunt me sometimes. So getting a parallel import is a bad idea and there are also focusing issues mating Sigma lenses to Sigma bods.

Must you use SPP4 to pp images taken with SDxx? Would you be able to pp to the same effect with Lightroom 3.2?

I thot SD15 is already available?

Last edited:
Must you use SPP4 to pp images taken with SDxx? Would you be able to pp to the same effect with Lightroom 3.2?

Not sure abt Jpegs files. But to enjoy the full usage of the RAW image its recommended to use SPP4 for the post process.

Its the same with Raw files of other brand of camera. Its better process Canon raw with DPpro as compared to generic software like aperture or PS

hey keyuan, I'm sure the shops at Mongkok would stock lotsa sigma acces compared to the local shops :bsmilie:

I've seen lotsa shops having them in the past when i went, before owning a DP2s tho =(

maybe you can check out the HK shops people had post on CS and mass email to enquire for accessories that you want?

I just simply love how Foveon sensor brings out the colors and bokeh, and I developed a fetish for B&W shots taken at ISO800 on my DP2s recently, looks dam seductive and filmy, and the soft creamy bokeh simply rocks~

Really happy that lotsa foveon peeps are coming out, havent seen one out on the street tho =(

Hi saveDqueen, Just back from HK last week. too bad, cant find any shops carrying the accessories. sigh...

Only find 1 shops who sells DP1x but dun carry any other accessories.

hey bro, seriously just get from JohnCamera on ebay, i've pimped my DP2s so much that im loving it lol

but the most impt thing is.... u got any good pictures on ur cam!? share if u did!

Here are some of my HK pics

5144882177_a3de295557_z.jpg

5145484050_269b88e48a_z.jpg

5144882871_c8753b5d1c_z.jpg

5145484934_4891a5be30_z.jpg

i am trying to show the huge contrast between the 2 billboard. the wedding :heart: is full of love and happiness. the PI is full of mystery and distrust. A process flow for todays marriage?

So getting a parallel import is a bad idea and there are also focusing issues mating Sigma lenses to Sigma bods.

If local support is good, grey import matters little to me, just pay for the services to get things sorted out. My main issue is that they seems reluctant to serve products not purchase through their dealers, even though one is willing to pay for the services. Besides, my experience with their servicing isn't so hot based on the new owner who purchased my set and did extensive testing.

I work in the distribution business, and grey imports happens, but we still serve those customers with service and repairs so long as they are willing to pay for it, it is a revenue stream afterall. so I can't understand their reluctance to serve and the results of their servicing.

I did enquire about the SD15, i doubt they would bring it in.

Hi there,

I'm having the same questions as you too, but im using a passport sling for smaller type of cameras like DP2s with the adapter+hood, EVF on and a flash with a small travel tripod in the bag and a cpl filter also. I still have space for lotsa personal stuffs, so its my favourite.

What wide angle would you be refering too? Im interested in getting a wide angle convertor too, but i have no idea on which brand and where to buy =/

btw, Im getting a wrist strap next, neck strap seems kinda over kill for this compact.

I got a wrist strap from Gordy and as I've had one for my past camera, it was equally as good.

PS1: What's a passport sling?
PS2: What's a small travel tripod? I've been thinking of getting a travel tripod (Tamrac Zipshot - seems to have good reviews and it's about waist level and so easy to set up!) but for now, I got a Manfrotto Modopocket @ SGD$25 over the weekend and it's pretty good, lightweight and compact!

I got a wrist strap from Gordy and as I've had one for my past camera, it was equally as good.

PS1: What's a passport sling?
PS2: What's a small travel tripod? I've been thinking of getting a travel tripod (Tamrac Zipshot - seems to have good reviews and it's about waist level and so easy to set up!) but for now, I got a Manfrotto Modopocket @ SGD$25 over the weekend and it's pretty good, lightweight and compact!

hey, try googling lowepro passport sling, you would have more then sufficient info on the product.

yea the manfrotto is enough in my point of view for a small fun lightweight travel tripod =)

Hey, i would really recommend ordering it from ebay, faster and similar price.:thumbsup:

I ordered a adapter from Parasilk, and for one month no news nothing after i confirmed the order with them..:dunno: not sure about 3rd party as they only told me about original batt.

until one day i ordered from ebay. Its much better and you have all the acces available, except for the original leather case i think, i think lotsa bro here would agree that ebay is the best choice.:bsmilie:
May I know were you able to find the original AC adapter for the camera? I am planning on using it to do some timelapse photography..

hey, try googling lowepro passport sling, you would have more then sufficient info on the product.

yea the manfrotto is enough in my point of view for a small fun lightweight travel tripod =)
Oh I see.. I thought it was another term for some kind of bags (ie messenger bag, backpack) and in my head, I thought it was those thin wallets that you can slide your passport in and wear it beneath your body lol :embrass:

Regarding the wide angle adapter, seems like the general consensus that most of it distorts the image quite badly and sharpness is lost in the edges unless shooting beyond F8 and above.

The Nikon WC-E75 is highly recommended but I think it's too big.. kinda defeats the purpose while the smaller WC-E68 is about right.
There was another recommendation for the Ricoh DW-6 as it is very small and produced good quality but it's only 0.79X.

Last edited:
May I know were you able to find the original AC adapter for the camera? I am planning on using it to do some timelapse photography..

Oh I see.. I thought it was another term for some kind of bags (ie messenger bag, backpack) and in my head, I thought it was those thin wallets that you can slide your passport in and wear it beneath your body lol :embrass:

The Nikon WC-E75 is highly recommended but I think it's too big.. kinda defeats the purpose while the smaller WC-E68 is about right.
There was another recommendation for the Ricoh DW-6 as it is very small and produced good quality but it's only 0.79X.

hey, i've got the HA-21 adapter from JohnCamera on ebay for less then $40 bucks with 3days delivery :thumbsup:

Haha, did you watch Eurotrip?

Yep, quite a headache for wideangle adapters, i've seen the nikon WC-E75 but its way too big and it defeats the purpose of a compact =(

hey, i've got the HA-21 adapter from JohnCamera on ebay for less then $40 bucks with 3days delivery :thumbsup:
Yep, quite a headache for wideangle adapters, i've seen the nikon WC-E75 but its way too big and it defeats the purpose of a compact =(
I got my HA-21 + Sigma AML-1 from a Korean eBayer for USD$110.. and got it within a week though.
May I know where I can check out the Passport Sling (in SG)? It seems to be a really hot model here in Malaysia and every camera store that I went to seems to say that they are out of stock.. :(

On the notes along the wide angle adapter.. here's how the Ricoh DW-6 looks on the DP1 courtesy of Piere Lesage @ Flickr
3244854645_2bc6f98e0c_z.jpg

What's that thing sticking out from the camera?

Here's the Lensmate link which tested most of the aftermarket wide angle adapters and their test results"
http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/SigmaDP1wide.html

And the two best contenders were the Ricoh DW-6 (nice size) and the Nikon EC-W75 (overkill size):
http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/RicohDW6_NikonEC75.html

Judging by the price of the Ricoh DW-6.. it is actually much cheaper than the Nikon (due to less glass and more compact) but you actually need a 46-43mm step down ring to use it.. even so I think its a pretty nice accessory to have, making the effective focal length to 32mm.

Cheers mate, I was asking about the AC (power) adapter for the Sigma as I do not want to use any random power supply with it.. not even sure if it's center-tapped positive or vice versa because nothing is written on the camera.. Guessing it most likely operates on 5V supplies due to all the electronics inside.. anyone has any idea?

PS: Here's a quick snap using the AML-1 lens.. wasn't really trying to get a perfect shot as I wanted to show the MK7 guys that their product finishing was quite crappy..
SDIM1001.jpg

Last edited:
Just came back from Germany / Switzerland with the DP2s. Was hesitating as I really did not feel comfortable leaving my 5D at home. Still find the fixed focal length a barrier to some angles and shots but overall was very appreciative of the "weightlessness" hence allowing me to enjoy more of my holiday! Just three shots for now. More coming as I process them in following days.

Heart of autumn by babykailan, on Flickr

Fleeting moments by babykailan, on Flickr

Flash by babykailan, on Flickr

The green cast is getting to me now. Is there a quick way to get rid of it in PS? I know for yellow casts, you shift the blue channel left in "levels". How about green casts? Can resolve in SPP4?

Just came back from Germany / Switzerland with the DP2s. Was hesitating as I really did not feel comfortable leaving my 5D at home. Still find the fixed focal length a barrier to some angles and shots but overall was very appreciative of the "weightlessness" hence allowing me to enjoy more of my holiday! Just three shots for now. More coming as I process them in following days.

Heart of autumn by babykailan, on Flickr

Fleeting moments by babykailan, on Flickr

Flash by babykailan, on Flickr

The green cast is getting to me now. Is there a quick way to get rid of it in PS? I know for yellow casts, you shift the blue channel left in "levels". How about green casts? Can resolve in SPP4?

Nice series, like the colours in Heart of autumn. Give me a comfy feel somehow. :)

Just did a short experiment on the difference in timing when using a class 4 SD card and a class 10 SD card on my DP1s

It took me an average of 8-9 sec to shoot a raw photo using a class 4 SD card.

And about 7-8 sec to shoot and save a raw photo using a class 10 SD card.

of course there may be difference between different models, but it does shows that you can cut down a bit of time between each shot if you choose a faster SD card.
;)

New DP1s accessories - Lens filter

I am often bother by the fact that the lens of my DP1s is not protected when the lens cap is off. Unlike a DSLR, the uncapped lens can be protected by a uv filter when i am doing a walk about. (too lazy to cap and uncapped after each shot.)

To counter against this, some may fixed on an extension tube to fit the uv filter. But i find that it makes the camera to big to be pocketed.

another way is to use the auto cap by JJC.

diclecalc2_1.jpg

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/product.php?productid=17398&cat=350&page=1

It more or less help to to prevent accidental touching of the lens.

Lately i found another Item, not sure if bros here heard of it. Its the ACMAXX lens filter.

I just received my copy today. It fix in well. (there is a model just to fit DP1 series)

Will try some shot with it soon.

sigma_dp2_1s.jpg

sigma_dp2_2.jpg

http://www.acmaxx.net/product/lens_armor/sigma_dp1.html

I purchased it directly with the site using paypal and wait about 2 weeks plus before receiving it.

SG camera store is their local distributor, but they dont carry the filter the last time i check. (But you can check again if you are interested);)

Last edited: