Foreign workers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
..if everybody said that they must be housed XXXkm away from me then we may have to use Petra Bandra.

Surely there must be solutions to all the concerns generated by them. Possible concern..

1. Noise - solution. Talk to them. Engage their boss
2..........................solution.....................

If you think there is a concern.. then it is good you propose a solution.

Hope this session becomes a problem solving session instead of just complaints and no solution.

Singapore is getting too crowded and when overcrowded, people tend to be unfriendly towards one another because most of us want some space and privacy. I noticed it is quite similar to fishes in a fish tank!

I've been following this issue through the papers, radio etc. and I'm hoping to share my thoughts on this:

- why are foreign workers so unwelcomed, but yet we welcome expatriates with open arms? Shouldn't Singaporeans also be chasing out their domestic helpers from foreign countries too? I suspect these Singaporeans are not doing so since they personally benefit from having someone else do the household chores etc. What / how do I gain from having foreign workers living XXkm away from my home?

- The Flying Dutchman came across a Serangoon Gardens resident who strongly objected to having a dormitory for foreign workers in the estate. But when asked if he's ok with ex-convicts living there, the reply was "Sure, these people ought to be given a second chance." So foreign workers are not even given a first chance?

From this episode and the kind of behaviour I see some Singaporeans with these days, I really can't help but wonder what kind of society we've unwittingly bred.:think:

Singaporeans have always had a "me-first" mentality. Being selfish, and not selfless, has been a hallmark Singaporean trait. Not wanting to share, but wanting the best of everything, has been extremely typical of Singaporeans.

It amazes me that what is more of a concern to these residents is a 1% drop in their property prices at Serangoon Gardens, as opposed to taking care and living harmoniously with other human beings. Apparently, "Money > Other Humans" here in Singapore.

Last edited:
I'd rather live among foreign workers than Singaporeans any day.

This whole episode just shows how little tolerance Singaporeans have always had. Racially and religiously harmonious? Bah. It's all a sham. Bunch of xenophobic and racist bigots more like it.

It's time to leave this joke of a country.

singapore may have lots of problems as u said,
but i'd like to know which country doesn't?

anyway, talk is cheap,
when r u leaving?

i think it is unfair to judge the foreign workers in this way..
have we understand their cultures/living habits..?

yes, there are some bad ones around and generally most of them are here to earn a honest livelihood (sometimes 8 hours under the hot sun), so to feed their families at their hometown.

they are also homesick, they do missed their families and kids..u know..:cry:

if place any of us in their positions, and being treated and judged this way, would u feel this way the same thing? :rolleyes:

singapore may have lots of problems as u said,
but i'd like to know which country doesn't?

anyway, talk is cheap,
when r u leaving?

You're absolutely right. Every country has problems. But some acknowledge them, some don't. Singapore happens to fall into the latter category. We pretend problems don't exist, and thus everyone is "happy" since these problems are "non-existent". We sweep it under the rug, and it will come back to haunt us later.

Why does it concern you when I'm leaving? It's not like you can verify it anyway.

You're absolutely right. Every country has problems. But some acknowledge them, some don't. Singapore happens to fall into the latter category. We pretend problems don't exist, and thus everyone is "happy" since these problems are "non-existent". We sweep it under the rug, and it will come back to haunt us later.

Why does it concern you when I'm leaving? It's not like you can verify it anyway.

ha ha... from your profile location, it seems you've already left? ;p

They are welcome and yet not welcome. So where do we stand?

If we welcome them we must give them some space. If you don't there is no concern.

Many of our ancestors were migrant. They came and built Singapore.

This group of people also come and help to built Singapore but at a different timing.

In another 20 years times, we will be saying this building was built with the help of people... and some of them will stay and proudly said, that is building was built by my great great grandfather.

So come on Singaporeans, let them have some space. They are doing those job you would not like to do and at a fraction of your income.

You depend on them to built your IR. MRTs, HDB flat, ships, rigs, clean your estate etc etc etc

So what are you and why are you complaining?

Last edited:
They are welcome and yet not welcome. So where do we stand?

If we welcome them we must give them some space. If you don't there is no concern.

Many of our ancestors were migrant. They came and built Singapore.

This group of people also come and help to built Singapore but at a different timing.

In another 20 years times, we will be saying this building was built with the help of people... and some of them will stay and proudly said, that is building was built by my great great grandfather.

So come on Singaporeans, let them have some space. They are doing those job you would not like to do and at a fraction of your income.

You depend on them to built your IR. MRTs, HDB flat, ships, rigs, clean your estate etc etc etc

So what are you and why are you complaining?

... which brings us back to the point some have made in the papers - we're in fact a third-world country pretending to be first-world. Seriously folks, who are we trying to kid?

Because of the congested living space in Singapore, one could understand how many local residents feel protective against sharing living space with hundreds of thousands of foreign workers.

If we think "outside the box" one of the "sensible solutions" is to house them in the beautiful Batam Island which is only 45 minutes by ferry away.

I'm sure the foreign workers would be happy with the fresh air and green environment of Batam Island: :)

WELCM_LSCP_01_C.jpg

Last edited:
i think the writings are on the wall, according to my reading of mah b t's remarks. property values at serangoon gardens are going to head south.

Last edited:
i dun live in Serangoon Gardens, but having a large influx of worker (foreign or not) does have a significant impact (be it social, economic). can we just put a large number (800 above) of workers in any location without taking into consideration how it will impact the neighbourhood.

most of these low wage workers rely on company trucks to ferry them to & from work. does the school have an internal network of roads that will facilitate a smooth flow of traffic. thats just traffic with-in the compound, how about the traffic situation when these vehicles head out of the compound? is there enough lanes?

its a complex issue, cannot just harp on 1 isolated issue & ignore or downplay other issues like they're trivial.

Actually there are already a number of commercial dormitories in Singapore. Some in the Paya Lebar area, some further west.

The point is, we need these foreign workers to sustain our economy. If they ceased to exist, who will sweep our floors, clean up the food court after you've had your meal, wash the toilet, build the HDB that you're staying etc?

However, having said that, I acknowledge the fact that the house owners in Serangoon Gardens might have about the value of their property. Just ask anyone, would you buy an HDB flat at Little India? Would you think an HDB flat at Little India (Tekka) is relatively cheaper than say a HDB at Toa Payoh even though the Little India flat is closer to the City. (Comparing same room type)

Food for thought.

The point is, we need these foreign workers to sustain our economy. If they ceased to exist, who will sweep our floors, clean up the food court after you've had your meal, wash the toilet, build the HDB that you're staying etc?

Or we can inculcate self-help civic consciousness among the proletarians whereby all of our comrades sweep their own floor, clean up the food court they use, wash their own toilet etc. etc.

People will become more appreciative of this beautiful island and how fortunate for us to live in it and hopefully complain less. :)

Last edited:
Complaining is a way of releasing stress... ;p

To fellow CSers,

I would like to make a public apology to all for my insensitive and undesirable comment about foreign workers. :embrass:

Anyway, I kenna 'marked' already. Have to be a good boy from now onwards and post 'constructive and helpful' comments. Otherwise, it is bye-bye Photobum.

Last edited:
House them in Geylang area so that they can mingle with other 'foreign workers' that dunno stay there, work there or hang out there most times... :bsmilie:

B.T.W, those 'foreign workers' got ppl complaint a not? :sweatsm:

System going wrong way .

Should increase salaries ,so more locals can survive not hover the salaries waiting for FW .

Our garment received the Highest pay in the world and yet WE dont even earn a quarter of it ?

Not Justify .

No wonder Money Not Enough part1(10 years ago) then still not enough part 2(2008) are reborn .

Are Neo waiting for part3 2018 ?

I think we already left as quiters as some said .

Status
Not open for further replies.