Foreign/local models

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattlock

Feb 28, 2004
www.superhyperreal.com
Just found it amusing that out of the nearly 15-20 fashion magazines in singapore, most of the editorial spreads are dominated by eurasian/eastern european faces
Anyone got some idea why?

because that's the way "beauty" is portrayed by the media

white and fair.

I find it quite funny that girls from eastern europe (we're talking countries you've never heard of) being portrayed as the hottest stuff
I asked a fashion editor whether it was ok to use local models and he said that "there aren't many and people have seen their faces too many times"
saaaaaaaay wha?

hey yo street shooter... i dont agree its colonial mentality...
a lot of hong kong mags be it fashion beauty or gossip usually only have 15% to 20% of caucasians...

anyways you have to agree some how caucasians are just more photogenic and adds the international touch to any ad.
its nothing personal, its just business.

so why don't I see many asians in overseas magazines either? wouldn't that make them more international?

Singapore mags just have a diff mentality. MPH and SPH knows the market very well. So as long as their mags are on the newsstand and selling like hotcakes, it does not bother them whether they are not our local Chinese/Indian/Malay models.

Euro-Asian Looks/Faces sells better than local Asian Chinese/Malay/Indian Face.

Hong Kong is more on Chinese market still, majority of them is Cantonese readers. Besides it's closer to China, so the more they need to promote their local models instead of Euro-Asian.

Even ADs prefer local Chinese models but due to client demand, Euro-Asian is a preferred choice as they sell better due to that they can target to markets, the Chinese and Western readers.

we do the spreads for those fashion magazine you seen, and in the begining i ask the same question.

but the truth is.... there are no good fresh local models... with the face, height, long arms legs.... name me one

Magaines targetted at the female population tends to use caucasian models. The chinese language ones seems to bulk the trend. Most females who look at these magazines look out for articles and the clothes featured. If the cloths are of a caucasian cutting it would look good on a caucasian model. Besides, caucasians have got height, figure and body shapes going for them to make the clothes hang better. ;)

Magazines targeted at local men... tend to use local models... eg FHM, Maxim, etc etc.... for obvious reasons... :p

actually many western people don't have that kind of perfect body shape, and even if they are taller they are also bigger and fleshier
why isn't it possible to celebrate an asian body form instead of a western one?

Well caucasians have natural coloured eyes and hair. Shaper facial features like almond eyes, hawk nose, high bridge etc. Its not like Asians do not have, but the frequency is lesser than that of caucasians. Asians usually look "cute", caucasians look "elegant" because of these features. Besides most of the editorial spreads maybe taking pictures from the manufacturer or designer which happens not to be an asian country.

zekai said:
we do the spreads for those fashion magazine you seen, and in the begining i ask the same question.

but the truth is.... there are no good fresh local models... with the face, height, long arms legs.... name me one

For long arms and legs, you could always use PS to clone, duplicate and triplicate and extend them to however long you like them to be :)

StreetShooter said:
Colonial mentality.

Malaysia was one country (I don't know whether they have got over the paranoid or not) that I remember the government banned caucasian models in locally produced ads. At one time they even went so far to discourage Eurasian look as it did not represent the "Malaysian look".

By the way are you sure those articles you seen in Singapore are not the overseas versions being dumped in to fill the pages of a local edition of an internatioonal magazine? This is a cheap way to go to print and many magazines do them.

It's time the local readers should agitate for 50% local content for all magazines published locally thereby giving more employment to local models and making local photographers richer :sweatsm:

rhythm_traveller said:
Well caucasians have natural coloured eyes and hair. Shaper facial features like almond eyes, hawk nose, high bridge etc. Its not like Asians do not have, but the frequency is lesser than that of caucasians. Asians usually look "cute", caucasians look "elegant" because of these features. Besides most of the editorial spreads maybe taking pictures from the manufacturer or designer which happens not to be an asian country.

I think there is a subtle transformation of Asian models to caucasion look. I don't know whether you've noticed it or not that these days more Asian models are having bigger eyes (an eye job?), blond hairs (dyed?) and more busty (injection?)

if u bother to do a search, there are plenty. Celest Chong was one of them. It's is a bit racist to just think that Eurasians and Caucasians are better than Asians in modelling. Moreover, not all Eurasians and Caucasians make good models. Most are not blessed with looks.

The Singapore Fashion industry is just abit too weird, sometimes we see Chinese model used in magazine BUT they were used cos they are not local. Which means even Malaysians, and they were used and prefer becos they are not local Singaporean.

Not that there are no good local models in Singapore, Gals like Serene Chew when first being "pushed" in Singapore was being rejected, and she end up working in New York which then was she regonise as a "Singaporean Model who make it in the big apple"... :dunno:

Anyway, most Eurasians and Caucasians models used in Singapore are NOT from america... Mostly from non-english speaking countries actually. :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.